Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > Remington R1 SS

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-29-2012, 03:19 AM   #11
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 19789 Times on 11235 Posts
Likes Given: 49869

Quote:
Originally Posted by yayamamasami View Post
With all due respect to canebrake and his allegiance to Colt (great weapons!!), may I suggest Springfield Armory? IMHO, some of the best M1911A1's available (along with Colt )
as much as i like the Springfield 1911's, and i really like them, the Colts are the Holy Grail of 1911's! the original and the one that everyone else copies.

Old 06-30-2012, 02:37 AM   #12

I appreciate all of the feedback.

I've gotta say.......doing my R1 research reminds me of when I was shopping for my first Harley after owning nothing but rice burners back in the early 90's!!
-performance very good
-looks great overall
-poor factory quality control during assembly
-fit & finish issues
.....And I bought one!!!

After reading these posts and tons of other 1911 forums over the past few days, I'm going to refocus my goggles toward getting a Colt or an Ed Brown.

Old 06-30-2012, 12:38 PM   #13

Liked 659 Times on 560 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthMtn

I've gotta say.......doing my R1 research reminds me of when I was shopping for my first Harley after owning nothing but rice burners back in the early 90's!!
-performance very good
-looks great overall
-fit & finish issues
.....And I bought one!!!

After reading these posts and tons of other 1911 forums over the past few days, I'm going to refocus my goggles toward getting a Colt or an Ed Brown.
Can't go wrong with either!! Good luck, send pics and range report!!

Old 06-30-2012, 05:32 PM   #14

Likes Given: 1

I have had a R1s in stainless for about 2 months now. This is my first .45 cal and my first 1911A1. I started getting an interest in the R1 because it was the first handgun Rem. had made since their contract in 1913. When the stainless model was introduced at the S.H.O.T. Show I really started looking for one in earnest. I finally found one, and I jumped all over it at nearly $600 plus tax.

Fit, finish, function, accuracy, everything is super good. The slide fits like it was hand fitted. As smooth and tight as the slide on my Browning Medalist for instance. I am totally happy with it. As much as I would also like to have a hand made custom .45 like a Wilson or one of the other fine custom shops, I don't have the $$. The R1-s in stainless, and the Ruger were in my price range, but the Remington is the one I wanted. After shooting it, I can understand why the 1911A1 has survived 100 years + as the iconic handgun. It is a ball to shoot. And what really gets me, my daughter out shot me the first time she picked it up. She says she has dibs on it when I pass my firearms down. Tb

Hunters & Anglers: The first environmentalists are still the best!

Old 06-30-2012, 08:31 PM   #15
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 19789 Times on 11235 Posts
Likes Given: 49869

Tigerbeetle, i have the R1 Enhanced and am really liking it. Remington hit a homerun with these pistols. accurate, good fit and finish and so far mine is very reliable.

Old 06-30-2012, 09:58 PM   #16

Liked 1414 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthMtn View Post

-performance very good
-looks great overall
-fit & finish issues
.....And I bought one!!!

An enlightened man!

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 07-01-2012, 03:43 AM   #17
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 27 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 68

Well sounds like from your last post you're letting the R1 go, I went with the Enhanced model like axxe55 did and I have run at least 1,000rds through it without any problem I think the Enhanced might worth looking at I got mine at Budsgunshop.com for $750 or $775 it was worth every penny but like a few others have mentioned you can't beat a Colt. Here's a shot of my R1...

“Life’s tough … it’s even tougher if you’re stupid.”
John Wayne

Old 07-01-2012, 01:30 PM   #18

Likes Given: 1

Reminds me of the "knowing" people who have bypassed the Model 110 Savage over the years, looking for a more accurate rifle or "shootable, won't break rifle," spending 4 or 5 times the price and not having anything better. It isn't always who makes it, it is how good it works. As with some of my fishing rods, I hope I live long enough to wear them out. That would be a goal for my bucket list.

Hunters & Anglers: The first environmentalists are still the best!

Old 07-01-2012, 07:56 PM   #19

Liked 157 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 119

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerbeetle View Post
I have had a R1s in stainless for about 2 months now. This is my first .45 cal and my first 1911A1. I started getting an interest in the R1 because it was the first handgun Rem. had made since their contract in 1913. When the stainless model was introduced at the S.H.O.T. Show I really started looking for one in earnest. I finally found one, and I jumped all over it at nearly $600 plus tax.

Fit, finish, function, accuracy, everything is super good. The slide fits like it was hand fitted. As smooth and tight as the slide on my Browning Medalist for instance. I am totally happy with it. As much as I would also like to have a hand made custom .45 like a Wilson or one of the other fine custom shops, I don't have the $$. The R1-s in stainless, and the Ruger were in my price range, but the Remington is the one I wanted. After shooting it, I can understand why the 1911A1 has survived 100 years + as the iconic handgun. It is a ball to shoot. And what really gets me, my daughter out shot me the first time she picked it up. She says she has dibs on it when I pass my firearms down. Tb
This is exactly what I found on my Stainless R-1. The slide to frame fit was exceptional. I handled 2 others in addition to the one I purchased, and found the same on all of them. This surprised me, and was a contributing factor as to why I bought the gun.

I had read a lot about the supposed fit and finish issues with this gun, but I honestly didn't see any. The gun is as well put together as any 1911's I've come across. I'll be headed to the range in a couple of days with a good supply of ammo to wring it out. But I must say out of the box, this gun impressed me far more than I thought it would have.