Remington R1 jammed up
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > Remington R1 jammed up

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-12-2012, 07:41 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 25 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default Remington R1 jammed up

I have a Remington 1911 R1S I have only taken it to the range and shot it once prior to today. It performed flawlessly. The ammo used that day was Winchester white box FMJ. I took it to the range today and decided to use some ammo I had in stock from Wal-Mart. It was steel jacketed TULAMMO. For some reason it did not want to feed a round from the mag in the the chamber. After several tries, it finally fed 1 round in the chamber, and fired fine. It would not load a 2nd round in to the chamber though. When trying to feed a 2nd round in manually by racking the slide, it jammed in place with the round in the chamber and the slide is is jammed in place a fraction of an inch from being all the way forward. The slide will not budge and I can not eject the shell. I am using the stock mags which fired fine last time. I cleaned the gun throughly after the 1st trip to the range. Do you guys think my problem is with the ammo or the gun itself? Is there any way to eject the shell when the slide is jammed and won't budge at all foward or backward. Or am I stuck sending the gun back to Winchester for them to take care of?

Smith & Wesson 30-1
Taurus Model 85
EAA Windicator
Mossberg 500
Winchester 1400 MK II
Marlin 60
Sccy CPX-2
Ruger Target 22/45 MKIII
DPMS Oracle AR-15

Previous Firearms:
Hi-Point JHP
Sccy CPX-2
Ruger LCP
Taurus PT-25
Cobra FS380CB
Cobra CA380BB
Glock 22

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-12-2012, 07:47 AM   #2
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21582 Times on 12248 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikerlbf406 View Post
I have a Remington 1911 R1S I have only taken it to the range and shot it once prior to today. It performed flawlessly. The ammo used that day was Winchester white box FMJ. I took it to the range today and decided to use some ammo I had in stock from Wal-Mart. It was steel jacketed TULAMMO. For some reason it did not want to feed a round from the mag in the the chamber. After several tries, it finally fed 1 round in the chamber, and fired fine. It would not load a 2nd round in to the chamber though. When trying to feed a 2nd round in manually by racking the slide, it jammed in place with the round in the chamber and the slide is is jammed in place a fraction of an inch from being all the way forward. The slide will not budge and I can not eject the shell. I am using the stock mags which fired fine last time. I cleaned the gun throughly after the 1st trip to the range. Do you guys think my problem is with the ammo or the gun itself? Is there any way to eject the shell when the slide is jammed and won't budge at all foward or backward. Or am I stuck sending the gun back to Winchester for them to take care of?
more than likely it's the ammo, not the pistol. some of the cheaper steel cased ammo just won't chamber in these pistols because the chambers have tighter tolerances. get the round out of it and go back to the ammo that you used before and see if the problem clears up. also some of the steel cased ammo is painted with lacquer paint and this can also cause feed issues. just one of the reason i never use the cheaper steel cased ammo.
Old 08-12-2012, 07:50 AM   #3

That's exactly what I was thinking and want to do. My problem is I can not eject the round in the chamber since the slide won't have. How do I get it out?

Smith & Wesson 30-1
Taurus Model 85
EAA Windicator
Mossberg 500
Winchester 1400 MK II
Marlin 60
Sccy CPX-2
Ruger Target 22/45 MKIII
DPMS Oracle AR-15

Previous Firearms:
Hi-Point JHP
Sccy CPX-2
Ruger LCP
Taurus PT-25
Cobra FS380CB
Cobra CA380BB
Glock 22

Old 08-12-2012, 08:04 AM   #4

Quote:
That's exactly what I was thinking and want to do. My problem is I can not eject the round in the chamber since the slide won't have. How do I get it out?
if you are not able to get the round to eject, the best course of action is to take it to a gun shop and let a gunsmith remove the round. be very careful with the pistol as it does have a live round in the chamber, but if it's not fully chambered, it's probably not near enough to the firing pin to be in danger of firing, but still use caution just to be on the safe side.

Old 08-12-2012, 08:10 AM   #5

Yeah I've been extremely careful of handling it since it jammed, as I do not want to risk an accident discharge. I have to take one my other guns to the gun smith Tuesday to have some work done on it, and I'll take the Remington to him also and see if he can get it dislodged for free, if not then I guess I'll call Remington and have it shipped back to them since its under warranty.

Smith & Wesson 30-1
Taurus Model 85
EAA Windicator
Mossberg 500
Winchester 1400 MK II
Marlin 60
Sccy CPX-2
Ruger Target 22/45 MKIII
DPMS Oracle AR-15

Previous Firearms:
Hi-Point JHP
Sccy CPX-2
Ruger LCP
Taurus PT-25
Cobra FS380CB
Cobra CA380BB
Glock 22

Old 08-12-2012, 08:22 AM   #6

Quote:
Yeah I've been extremely careful of handling it since it jammed, as I do not want to risk an accident discharge. I have to take one my other guns to the gun smith Tuesday to have some work done on it, and I'll take the Remington to him also and see if he can get it dislodged for free, if not then I guess I'll call Remington and have it shipped back to them since its under warranty.
best course of action is to see if the gunsmith can take care of it, even if he charges you for doing it. i don't think you can ship a gun with live ammo in it. not 100% certain but i think it can't be done.

Old 08-12-2012, 08:27 AM   #7

Liked 762 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 457

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55 View Post
best course of action is to see if the gunsmith can take care of it, even if he charges you for doing it. i don't think you can ship a gun with live ammo in it. not 100% certain but i think it can't be done.
I think that's correct, besides there is nothing Remington can do to fix the problem that a gunsmith can't. Doesn't sound like a warranty issue unless there's a problem with the chamber tolerences or feedramp.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 08-12-2012, 11:32 AM   #8
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2873 Times on 1660 Posts
Likes Given: 1236

Rule #1 should be that TulAmmo in lacquered cases should not be sold to the public.

I've seen them jam a Walther 9mm.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 08-12-2012, 12:35 PM   #9

Liked 47 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Why would Remington take care of it under warranty. After the first cartridge failed that should have been a clue.

Do not ship a loaded gun.

Old 08-12-2012, 12:40 PM   #10

Liked 1131 Times on 736 Posts
Likes Given: 2021

I just don't understand why or where people are getting lacquer coated tula. I have some dated 06 and it doesn't have lacquer on the cases. It now has a thin poly type coating but I haven't had issues of it melting like the old lacquered stuff. My guess the chamber is just to tight for it since the steel expands in the chamber and does not contract like brass after being shot