Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   1911 Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f57/)
-   -   Remington R1 jammed up (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f57/remington-r1-jammed-up-70145/)

bikerlbf406 08-12-2012 07:41 AM

Remington R1 jammed up

I have a Remington 1911 R1S I have only taken it to the range and shot it once prior to today. It performed flawlessly. The ammo used that day was Winchester white box FMJ. I took it to the range today and decided to use some ammo I had in stock from Wal-Mart. It was steel jacketed TULAMMO. For some reason it did not want to feed a round from the mag in the the chamber. After several tries, it finally fed 1 round in the chamber, and fired fine. It would not load a 2nd round in to the chamber though. When trying to feed a 2nd round in manually by racking the slide, it jammed in place with the round in the chamber and the slide is is jammed in place a fraction of an inch from being all the way forward. The slide will not budge and I can not eject the shell. I am using the stock mags which fired fine last time. I cleaned the gun throughly after the 1st trip to the range. Do you guys think my problem is with the ammo or the gun itself? Is there any way to eject the shell when the slide is jammed and won't budge at all foward or backward. Or am I stuck sending the gun back to Winchester for them to take care of?

Axxe55 08-12-2012 07:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bikerlbf406 (Post 901145)
I have a Remington 1911 R1S I have only taken it to the range and shot it once prior to today. It performed flawlessly. The ammo used that day was Winchester white box FMJ. I took it to the range today and decided to use some ammo I had in stock from Wal-Mart. It was steel jacketed TULAMMO. For some reason it did not want to feed a round from the mag in the the chamber. After several tries, it finally fed 1 round in the chamber, and fired fine. It would not load a 2nd round in to the chamber though. When trying to feed a 2nd round in manually by racking the slide, it jammed in place with the round in the chamber and the slide is is jammed in place a fraction of an inch from being all the way forward. The slide will not budge and I can not eject the shell. I am using the stock mags which fired fine last time. I cleaned the gun throughly after the 1st trip to the range. Do you guys think my problem is with the ammo or the gun itself? Is there any way to eject the shell when the slide is jammed and won't budge at all foward or backward. Or am I stuck sending the gun back to Winchester for them to take care of?

more than likely it's the ammo, not the pistol. some of the cheaper steel cased ammo just won't chamber in these pistols because the chambers have tighter tolerances. get the round out of it and go back to the ammo that you used before and see if the problem clears up. also some of the steel cased ammo is painted with lacquer paint and this can also cause feed issues. just one of the reason i never use the cheaper steel cased ammo.

bikerlbf406 08-12-2012 07:50 AM

That's exactly what I was thinking and want to do. My problem is I can not eject the round in the chamber since the slide won't have. How do I get it out?

Axxe55 08-12-2012 08:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bikerlbf406 (Post 901151)
That's exactly what I was thinking and want to do. My problem is I can not eject the round in the chamber since the slide won't have. How do I get it out?

if you are not able to get the round to eject, the best course of action is to take it to a gun shop and let a gunsmith remove the round. be very careful with the pistol as it does have a live round in the chamber, but if it's not fully chambered, it's probably not near enough to the firing pin to be in danger of firing, but still use caution just to be on the safe side.

bikerlbf406 08-12-2012 08:10 AM

Yeah I've been extremely careful of handling it since it jammed, as I do not want to risk an accident discharge. I have to take one my other guns to the gun smith Tuesday to have some work done on it, and I'll take the Remington to him also and see if he can get it dislodged for free, if not then I guess I'll call Remington and have it shipped back to them since its under warranty.

Axxe55 08-12-2012 08:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bikerlbf406 (Post 901159)
Yeah I've been extremely careful of handling it since it jammed, as I do not want to risk an accident discharge. I have to take one my other guns to the gun smith Tuesday to have some work done on it, and I'll take the Remington to him also and see if he can get it dislodged for free, if not then I guess I'll call Remington and have it shipped back to them since its under warranty.

best course of action is to see if the gunsmith can take care of it, even if he charges you for doing it. i don't think you can ship a gun with live ammo in it. not 100% certain but i think it can't be done.

Jpyle 08-12-2012 08:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by axxe55 (Post 901161)
best course of action is to see if the gunsmith can take care of it, even if he charges you for doing it. i don't think you can ship a gun with live ammo in it. not 100% certain but i think it can't be done.

I think that's correct, besides there is nothing Remington can do to fix the problem that a gunsmith can't. Doesn't sound like a warranty issue unless there's a problem with the chamber tolerences or feedramp.

danf_fl 08-12-2012 11:32 AM

Rule #1 should be that TulAmmo in lacquered cases should not be sold to the public.

I've seen them jam a Walther 9mm.

JohnJak 08-12-2012 12:35 PM

Why would Remington take care of it under warranty. After the first cartridge failed that should have been a clue.

Do not ship a loaded gun.

purehavoc 08-12-2012 12:40 PM

I just don't understand why or where people are getting lacquer coated tula. I have some dated 06 and it doesn't have lacquer on the cases. It now has a thin poly type coating but I haven't had issues of it melting like the old lacquered stuff. My guess the chamber is just to tight for it since the steel expands in the chamber and does not contract like brass after being shot