Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > Remington R1

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-26-2011, 05:49 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Remington R1

I recently bought a Remington R1, I've put 100 rounds through it and getting pretty good groups but finding that it's shooting a foot low at 20 yards. Is anyone else having this trouble. I know that the rem, you can't adjust the sight for up and down.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-26-2011, 11:20 AM   #2
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 51 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by elk-acholic View Post
I recently bought a Remington R1, I've put 100 rounds through it and getting pretty good groups but finding that it's shooting a foot low at 20 yards. Is anyone else having this trouble. I know that the rem, you can't adjust the sight for up and down.
Try better ammo.

Old 12-26-2011, 06:01 PM   #3

Liked 35 Times on 29 Posts

Different ammo, as Mark says, could be the answer. Also, is that from a rest or free hand? I believe there is a 'Shooting Aid' posted on a thread here, somewhere. You might try to find that & see if it gives you a clue.

Lastly, I haven't done much reading on the Remington, but is it possible it uses what some refer to as a 'combat' sight picture with the front sight on the center of the bull? I don't suppose that would cause it to be a whole foot low, but may be part of it.

Old 12-27-2011, 01:25 AM   #4

Mine shoots pretty much to point of aim with both 200gr swc's and 230 gr hardball, just about 2 inches to the left. I still haven't adjusted the rear sight and I've had it about a year. Hey I'm the poster child for lazy OK. I had a couple of bobbles within the first 50 or so rounds but since then it runs like the proverbial sewing machine. Now I want a Commander version, hear that ERPC.

Steve E............

Old 12-27-2011, 03:07 AM   #5

I'll have to try some different ammo. I been shooting both free hand and off a table resting my arms on the table. When on the table obviously getting the better groups but on both cases shooting low.

Old 12-27-2011, 04:01 AM   #6
Proud to be an American
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 780 Times on 361 Posts
Likes Given: 369

I had a similar experience when I first bought my Taurus PT1911 and later with my new Beretta PX4 and I was very disappointed but then realized this only happened with guns that had the 3 dot sights.
My other 1911 has the traditional military sights and my Millennium Pro has straight 8 sights and the others have black target sights. It seems I was focusing on the dots and not the front sight. To prove this was the case I blacked out the 3 dots and voila I was back on target.
My son bought me one of the metal resetting targets for Christmas and I ran a hundred plus rounds at it today with both the Taurus and Beretta and was hitting consitently at 15 and 20 yards without any sight adjustment. Just a thought but it worked for me.

The price of freedom is eternal vigilance.

Old 12-27-2011, 06:10 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pasquanel
I had a similar experience when I first bought my Taurus PT1911 and later with my new Beretta PX4 and I was very disappointed but then realized this only happened with guns that had the 3 dot sights.
My other 1911 has the traditional military sights and my Millennium Pro has straight 8 sights and the others have black target sights. It seems I was focusing on the dots and not the front sight. To prove this was the case I blacked out the 3 dots and voila I was back on target.
My son bought me one of the metal resetting targets for Christmas and I ran a hundred plus rounds at it today with both the Taurus and Beretta and was hitting consitently at 15 and 20 yards without any sight adjustment. Just a thought but it worked for me.
Ok thanks. I'll give that try too. I'm not crazy on the 3 dots, I'd be fine with just straight open sights.

Old 12-27-2011, 02:22 PM   #8

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 34

You might also consider sending it back to Remington. I had a bad barrel and the trigger was set heavier than factory spec. Remington was good about it. They did a trigger job and replaced the barrel and their turn around time for the repairs was excellent. It fixed the problem.
Could also be a sight problem.