Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   1911 Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f57/)
-   -   Remington 1911 R1 Video Review (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f57/remington-1911-r1-video-review-45724/)

Marthor 07-24-2011 08:12 AM

Remington 1911 R1 Video Review

http://youtu.be/lIK4YJuCHFM
I went to the SGK gunshow in Hampton Virginia today and got a Remington 1911. I did the video review in the link which is my first attempt at a video review.

Let me know if you have any feedback or any questions about the R1.

Thanks.

Marthor 07-24-2011 04:58 PM

I went early because I knew the best deals sell out first. I made my way through the floor and did a quick price check. The SGK show is huge in Hampton, VA. Out of the whole floor they had these options...

$599 Talo edition
$629 Standard edition
$815 Enhanced Version
$899 Enhanced Version

There were three of the "OD Green" versions, but I didn't want that color. I also knew that the local Bass Pro had the Standard version for $699 in stock too.

I wasn't sure I'd find the Rem R1, so I also had my eye out for the new Ruger SR1911 and I was also interested in Para USA GI Expert or the Range Officer. Didn't have any of the Rugers available at the show and since I found an R1, I knew that was the best value.

I barely just made it because as I was filling out the background check papers, someone else stopped by and was asking what happened to the R1. They wanted to buy it too, but I had pulled the trigger first! =). ...I helped him out and told him where I saw the $629 one and he took off quickly in that direction.

Funny that as I was walking around with the case while picking up 45 ammo and a holster before I left, I was stopped 3 TIMES by people asking if my R1 was for sale. These are in super hot demand!

Firearms4ever 07-24-2011 05:09 PM

Very good review! The only qualm I have with the Remington is that it has a flat mainspring housing, but a short triger which is not how the 1911 was originally introduce. That's just me though otherwise she looks good and I'm looking forward to a range report ;).

IGETEVEN 07-24-2011 05:11 PM

Congrats! :D

Nice price, great review and video, good looking 1911. Looking forward to the range report on how she throws lead downrange. :cool:

Marthor 07-27-2011 05:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IGETEVEN (Post 549065)
Looking forward to the range report on how she throws lead downrange. :cool:

I'm hoping to hit the range this Saturday. Not only will it be the first time firing the R1, but it will be my first time ever firing any 1911 or 45 auto. Up until now all my handguns are 357, 9mm and recently added 380 auto. My military experiance is with the 9mm M9 too.

I saw the Captain America movie last night and enjoyed seeing that he carries a 1911. How appropriate!

Some more stories from the gunshow last weekend...
When I was buying the R1 from DK firearms, I mentioned that I also had my eye out for the Ruger SR1911. He said he had a Ruger at the last show, but it didn't even make it to the opening. Another dealer came over and bought it even before the show opened.

I seriously considered the "Enhanced R1" for $200 more. It has a fiber optic front sight which I decided I didn't like on a pistol. I have a BB gun with a fiber optic sight that I like, and I think I'd like the fiber optic sight on a shotgun or a hunting rifle. I wouldn't like the fiber optic sight on an assault rifle or any handgun. So, that just made it all the easier decision to go with the lower priced version with the high visibility white dot sights.

canebrake 07-27-2011 05:43 PM

Great review, great gun. I love my R1, I'm sure you will too.

Marthor 08-02-2011 02:50 AM

I went to the Marksman range in Newport News, VA today. They have free shooting for military on the 1st & 15th of every month. I bought some targets from them though since I'd feel guilty if I didn't buy anything.

I only took my Ruger 10/22 and the new R1 this time. Five quick shots with the Ruger were spot on at 50 yrds.

I took 15 shots with the R1 at 25 yrds. I was using 230 grain FMJ. Easy to handle. Less recoil than my 357. Everything fed smoothly. I was pleased with the accuracy.

Funner than shooting, I enjoyed cleaning my guns when I got home. Whipped out my Berettas and my carry conceal weapons to give them all fresh coat of oil too. :D