Remington 1911 R1, does anyone have one or - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > Remington 1911 R1, does anyone have one or

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2011, 01:19 AM   #11
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5666 Times on 2958 Posts
Likes Given: 375

prolly wouldnt deal with tha gunbroker anymore if he was gonna be a jerk about it.

butttttt it should be ok. i would prolly just get a litle stiffer recoil spring since the stock weight is prolly why they put that warning in place. i dont shoot +p or +P+ out of any of my guns even ones rated for it.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 02-25-2011, 03:23 AM   #12

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by flbntz View Post
Bought a 1911r1 yesterday. First gun for me in 20 years. Was sold a box of 20 Hornady 45 AUTO +P 230 gr TAP FPD hollow points, and 2 50 round boxes of American Eagle 45 AUTO 230 gr Full Metal Jacket to practice with. Trouble is, the manual says not to use +P, and to limit the muzzle velocity to 835 fps. The Hornady comes out at 950 fps, and the AE 890. Took bullets back to dealer who'd sold me the stuff, and was told "Lawyer crap", and "They're just covering their asses". Anybody have any opinion about this.
probably not going to hurt anything if it were just personal protection. for the 1 to 2 rds that should take. but i thought that more fps will cause you to shoot high as well. i dont like that one bit either. personally i never shoot +p and probably never will. jonm also has very good advice on the springs.

Last edited by pranc2; 02-25-2011 at 03:34 AM.

Old 02-25-2011, 11:14 AM   #13

Thanks. Appreciate the feedback.

Old 02-25-2011, 04:09 PM   #14

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 35

I have one.
Bought it for a more traditional looking 1911. Don't like the looks of their enhanced version, or the MSRP.
Haven't had a chance to shoot it yet (weather).

Old 02-26-2011, 04:26 PM   #15

Default What's the pistol in your profile picture?

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazycharlie2 View Post
I have one.
Bought it for a more traditional looking 1911. Don't like the looks of their enhanced version, or the MSRP.
Haven't had a chance to shoot it yet (weather).
Like the look of the pistol in your profile picture. What is that? Looks like a Luger. Haven't shot my 1911 yet, either. Around here you have to join a gun club, and it takes them a month to vote you in. End of March, probably. Unless someone tries breaking into my apartment before that. Just got my carry permit yesterday.

Old 03-02-2011, 08:02 PM   #16

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I bought a R1 about two months ago and after range testing it I purchased another (one for each hand). I've had wonderful experiences with Remington rifles and shotguns through the years and when I heard the arms company was getting back into the 1911 business I had to check it out.

Although I own modern style handguns the R1 has become my main concealed carry weapon.

Bear

Old 03-03-2011, 11:24 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by BearTaylor View Post
I bought a R1 about two months ago and after range testing it I purchased another (one for each hand). I've had wonderful experiences with Remington rifles and shotguns through the years and when I heard the arms company was getting back into the 1911 business I had to check it out.

Although I own modern style handguns the R1 has become my main concealed carry weapon.

Bear
I also had good experiences with Remington rifles, and shotguns. Got a semiautomatic .22 rifle with a nylon stock for Christmas when I was twelve. Was so excited, I went down, and unwrapped it while everyone was sleeping, carefully rewrapped it, and then feigned surprise the next morning when I reopened it. Then, when I was sixteen, and had my first job, traded a single shot lever action 20 gauge Ithaca shotgun my dad had gotten for me, for a Remington 12 gauge pump Wingmaster. Beautiful gun. And my dad's favorite deer rifle, which he had a hair trigger on, and reloaded his own bullets for, was a Remington bolt action 30-06. I'd eventually like to get some of the more modern handguns, too, and maybe a .357 magnum revolver, but being a student, I can only afford one right now, so I'm glad to have this one. I sold the Remington shotgun I had while I was a student in another discipline, years ago, but would also like to get a Remington Marine Magnum with an eighteen inch barrel, 12 gauge pump, eventually, for home defense.

Old 03-07-2011, 09:42 PM   #18

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I shoot standard 230 grain Winchester and Remington FMJ and JHP ammo through all four of my .45 ACP handguns. I don't have any need for higher pressure rounds because a .45 will blow through over an inch thick board and leave behind a big hole in the process. That's plenty of power for me.

You can't beat the 870 pump shotgun for just plain old toughness. I've owned the 12 ga. Express model for many years and it's never failed me. Likewise with the Rem. 7400 semi-auto 30-06 rifle. It was a tack driver out of the box and can still thread a needle. Remington Arms makes good quality guns and I didn't expect any less with the R1.

Fibntz, you've got the right idea--get an education and don't buy junk guns. It's better to buy one good gun that you can afford than a dozen cheap firearms that you can't trust.

Bear

Last edited by BearTaylor; 03-07-2011 at 10:03 PM.

Old 03-08-2011, 10:12 AM   #19

Quote:
I shoot standard 230 grain Winchester and Remington FMJ and JHP ammo through all four of my .45 ACP handguns. I don't have any need for higher pressure rounds because a .45 will blow through over an inch thick board and leave behind a big hole in the process. That's plenty of power for me.

You can't beat the 870 pump shotgun for just plain old toughness. I've owned the 12 ga. Express model for many years and it's never failed me. Likewise with the Rem. 7400 semi-auto 30-06 rifle. It was a tack driver out of the box and can still thread a needle. Remington Arms makes good quality guns and I didn't expect any less with the R1.

Fibntz, you've got the right idea--get an education and don't buy junk guns. It's better to buy one good gun that you can afford than a dozen cheap firearms that you can't trust.

Bear
Thanks for the message, Bear. Good to hear from you. I am glad I got the Remington. It's just such a beauty, and feels perfect in my hand. I can't wait to shoot it. It's a gun you can be proud of.

Old 03-08-2011, 10:47 AM   #20

Liked 22 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
It's better to buy one good gun that you can afford than a dozen cheap firearms that you can't trust.
This is worthy of a quote as it coincides with my sentiments exactly...