Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > reasons for NOT getting a 1911

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-17-2010, 12:14 AM   #51
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

I find these types of discussions sometimes informative, sometimes interesting, and always amusing.

I'm no expert. I leave those titles to them that aspire to them. I am, however, a very experienced shooter. I started shooting at the ripe old age of 10, and at the now riper old age of 65, I'm still shooting, buying and selling guns and learning each day of my life.

I've owned handguns in .22lr, .25ACP, .380ACP, .38Spl, 9mm, .357Mag, .41Mag, 10mm, and .45ACP; revolvers, single shots, and semi-autos. I spent 21 years active duty in the military, and 2 years active reserve (on the front end). Served all over the world and had a tour of duty in South East Asia.

Due to age problems, I currently only own and shoot .22lr, .38Spl, 9mm, and .357Mag, in a hand-held firearm.

I love the 1911, Hi-Power, and S&W K-Frames. I enjoy almost all of the rest of them.

When I read these threads and I see stuff like .45ACP is "manly" and 9mm is "wimpy", it makes me smile, and also consider the person who uttered such trash to be a little misinformed. A person who trains themselves with "almost" any of the above mentioned calibers in any decent, reliable, reasonably accurate firearm, is very, very well armed. And for anyone to come across with the above mentioned "crap", is so full of it, that he totally belittles the knowledge and information that he has to offer.

Gentlemen, think before you put the mouth in gear. Think before you decide to come across as the ultimate authority on anything, especially dealing with firearms. There are just so many variables involved that you cannot ever take them all into consideration at any one time. There are no real absolutes, other than, of course the obvious things like "be prepared", "be armed", "be aware", "practice", etc., etc., etc.

This thread was concerning the 1911 pistol. Not 9mm vs .45ACP vs 10mm vs any other thing to want make it "verses". But, it once again degenerated into that stupid argument.

Jump on me if you will, but all you will do expend a lot a lot of hot air, loud noise, and accomplish nothing.

I will still enjoy my 9mm Hi-Powers, 9mm 1911, .357 K-Frames, and even my Kahrs, and my little S&W CS-9. Oh, and don't forget my Single-Six's and Blackhawks.

As for carry, I have a number of guns that I use for that, most of them being 9mm, and I don't for the first instant, feel undergunned, or inadequately protected.

Have fun, enjoy life, watch your back, and God Bless.

SgtSam

Old 04-17-2010, 01:00 AM   #52

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I can only figure a person wouldn't buy one because it was too heavy to heft with their puny biceps or the recoil was too much for their dainty arms to bear.
Every gun owner should own one.

Old 04-17-2010, 11:42 AM   #53

Liked 21 Times on 7 Posts

Said it before and I'll say it again - a 1911 is not for everybody. They can be cranky, may need a bit of tuning, and they are mag sensitive. They are also one of the most natural pointing, comfortable to shoot guns ever designed and sold. They are an enthusiast's gun - not for the person that throws the gun in their truck or next to the bed and shoots it once a year...