Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > reasons for NOT getting a 1911

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-15-2009, 06:22 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default reasons for NOT getting a 1911

so a couple reasons i have seen in general for getting one of these guns is they are very "accurate" and then the single action trigger and hammer setup allows for alot shorter, nicer trigger pull.

then as for NOT getting one they seem to be more finicky with the ammo that you use and they seem to jam more and have more malfunctions than other handguns that have the double action non hammer type of design

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-15-2009, 06:27 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

this should be good! I'll be waiting for JD's response and Cane is close second.

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 07-15-2009, 06:30 PM   #3

Liked 21 Times on 7 Posts

I read that 1911s have problems a lot on the internet - just haven't had a bad one myself I guess. Over the past couple of years I've owned over 2 dozen (I like to trade guns) and I've yet to get a bad one.

Now I'll caveat that I've never got one "dremeled by bubba the gunsmith" nor will I use generic gunshow mags. Also, I fire FMJ in mine (except for my Colt that I carry) 99.9% of the time...

Old 07-15-2009, 06:34 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

I've got at least 10k rounds through mine and the one time it exhibited a failure was at the inept hands of my wife. The poor pistol got limp wristed so badly that it didn't know what to do.

If there is a problem to feed or eject, it's usually a problem with the user.

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.

Old 07-15-2009, 06:51 PM   #5

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

I've read about plenty of problems, but have never had anything worse than a FTF in the first 50 rounds out of the box with ANY of my .45's. I really can't think of a reason to NOT own a 1911 as long as it's of reasonable quality and fit, and hasn't been "customized" by Goober the basement gunsmith.
Good luck!
Sarge

Exotic wood .45 grip maker
www.thefinergrain.com

Old 07-15-2009, 06:56 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5731 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

My XD45 holds 13+1 rounds; i was under the impression that there weren't any 1911's with equal capacity. I did see that RIA model A2 or something that has double stack mags. I am not very familiar with that manufacturer, though.

And NO i can't practice more on my accuracy!

Old 07-15-2009, 07:15 PM   #7

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

My 1911 experience is limited to the two I've owned: a Colt 1991A1 and a Para Ordnance P14-45. Both good weapons, neither of them super expensive or customized. I've got no complaints, I've had zero issues with them.

My only problem with the Para was that the sights it came with were adjusted to hit the centre of a bullseye target when aimed at the base of the black area (I bought it new). This is fine if the pistol is going to be used to shoot matches at 25 meters, but it makes the gun hit high for my shooting style. It's a simple fix: either file the rear sight a bit or choose a new one. That's another good thing about 1911's: there are LOTS of different replacement parts available.

Old 07-15-2009, 07:46 PM   #8

Liked 143 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 764

i've never seen a bad one....just better ones

Old 07-15-2009, 07:55 PM   #9

Liked 1414 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

50% of the FTF/FTE issues with a 1911 is operator error, or as I like to call it, PEBTAH (Problem Exists Between Trigger And Holster) or dirtbag owner maintenance. (See PEBTAH)

The other 50% is directly related to the cost of production of the weapon. NOTE: I DID NOT SAY THE PRICE OF THE WEAPON!

A good running 1911 will cost you 1,000 to 1,500$. Oh yea, you can pay way more but will get little return on any dollar spent over 1.5K. (Remember I'm speaking to a good running 1911, NOT a custom firearm!)

This means if you buy a $400 1911 and want a reliable CCW firearm that I would trust my life with, plan on putting $600+ in upgrade parts such as, but not limited to: Real engineered mags, billet or forged parts to replace the MIM junk, a quality ignition system, a "real" barrel, quality/current technology springs, and a pair of stocks that fit the 1911 to your strong side hand with good purchase.

If you want that $400 1911 to go plinkin' at the range, go for it.

If you, on the other hand, think that with that same $400 purchase plus a $20 Fobus and a freshly inked CCW license make you armed and safe you may be found face down in a pool of your own blood.

“Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician.” J. Cooper

With the majority of production firearms today, the above applies. No brand or model holds the "WORST" firearm title.

That is held by the collective group of IDIOTS that produce the problems! (See PEBTAH)

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 07-15-2009, 08:06 PM   #10

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

One reason for not owing a 1911 could be that your panties are bunched or your thong is too tight.

From C3Shooter:
Skullcrusher, you are evil, sick, demented, twisted- and my hero!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!