Questions and ideas for my Rink.
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > Questions and ideas for my Rink.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-26-2012, 04:12 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 183 Times on 109 Posts
Likes Given: 102

Default Questions and ideas for my Rink.

I bought a Norinko a few months back with the idea of turning it into a 460 Rowland. That thought has pretty much run its course and now I would like to do some work to it and make it a shooter. The poor thing is just too sloppy to get anything better than a 8" group at ten yards.

The slide to frame fit has enough space to house a small family and the barrel bushing fit to slide and barrel is comparable to that of throwing a hot dog down a hallway. I hear that the tolerances with rinko's were quite liberal. This gun has definitely been used but doesn't appear to be abused so the potential is there.

Assuming that I find a qualified pistol smith, what would you estimate the cost of peening the slide/frame and fitting a new barrel/bushing? I have not set a budget yet and I have no clue as to what upgrades I want. The gun would look awesome if the flats were polished and the rounds were blasted. A deep blueing would look nice. I prefer the GI setup but would like new sights. I hear most smiths don't like to work on Norinko's because the 5100 puts a whipping on the tools?

Just looking for ideas and cost so I can decide if it's worth it.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-26-2012, 04:20 AM   #2
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21994 Times on 12402 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotMormon View Post
I bought a Norinko a few months back with the idea of turning it into a 460 Rowland. That thought has pretty much run its course and now I would like to do some work to it and make it a shooter. The poor thing is just too sloppy to get anything better than a 8" group at ten yards.

The slide to frame fit has enough space to house a small family and the barrel bushing fit to slide and barrel is comparable to that of throwing a hot dog down a hallway. I hear that the tolerances with rinko's were quite liberal. This gun has definitely been used but doesn't appear to be abused so the potential is there.

Assuming that I find a qualified pistol smith, what would you estimate the cost of peening the slide/frame and fitting a new barrel/bushing? I have not set a budget yet and I have no clue as to what upgrades I want. The gun would look awesome if the flats were polished and the rounds were blasted. A deep blueing would look nice. I prefer the GI setup but would like new sights. I hear most smiths don't like to work on Norinko's because the 5100 puts a whipping on the tools?

Just looking for ideas and cost so I can decide if it's worth it.
personally i think you could find a better candidate that didn't need so much work and would turn out much nicer and shoot much better, and have you come out much cheaper in the long run. i owned one Norinco 1911 in the past, and like yours, sloppy fit and no accuracy to speak of. i didn't keep it very long! worst 1911 i have ever owned.

check out the MetroArms American Classic or the Rock Island Armory 1911's. much better fit and finish, much more accurate and very reliable. decently priced as well.

Old 10-26-2012, 04:32 AM   #3

Liked 3737 Times on 1825 Posts
Likes Given: 13270

we've had a few members here do 460Rowland builds/conversions. I would suggest reading their build threads to get more familiar with the conversion/platforms.

Member: NRA GOA

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Est sularas oth mithas

"either way, you were guilty by association, so you were smited...." JD

Old 10-26-2012, 06:59 PM   #4

Liked 954 Times on 509 Posts
Likes Given: 727

RIAs are not on the list of guns recommended for the 460. Not sure about Metro Arms. Get a Colt or other gun for that.

USMC 74-78

Old 10-26-2012, 08:17 PM   #5
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3095 Times on 1779 Posts
Likes Given: 1320

Norinco 1911's were some solid guns (at one time), and were the good basis for custom work.

Although not a good candidate for the .460 Rowland, they can be setup to work with the .45 ACP.

Get your Brownells catalog out and buy three books
2 from Kuhnhausen, and Ed Brown's on Customizing.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 10-26-2012, 10:04 PM   #6

Liked 183 Times on 109 Posts
Likes Given: 102

Like I said, the 460 plans are out. I did alot of surfing the net last night and decided that I will just turn this into my winter project. Likely it will cost me more than just buying a RIA or the like and I will have to delay getting the DW Pointman 9 i've had my eye on but it should give me an even better familiarity with the 1911 than I do now. I'll do my best not to Bubba the poor rattle trap.

Dan, the two Kuhnhausen books look looked very similar but I suppose if you are recommending them, they contain different content. This should be fun and or pricy but I guess I will just have to look at it like it's reloading equipment...an investment. As the months go by, I'm sure that I'll be asking stupid questions.

Old 10-26-2012, 10:36 PM   #7
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3095 Times on 1779 Posts
Likes Given: 1320

One is a basic "This is the 1911", the other gets a lot more into detail (with specs).

The CD from Ed Brown will help with customizing.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)