Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > Questions On 1911 Mags.......

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-20-2009, 09:58 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Questions On 1911 Mags.......

What kind do you like?????

I've been using a few "Gun Show Specials" lately for the range but since I left a couple of them loaded for awhile they are now suffering from spread lips which is causing them to stick on ejection. They do still feed and shoot OK though. I bought a few CMC "Shooting Stars" to try out and maybe to use as CCW mags but I noticed something with them I'm a little leary about.

They seem to have a welded seam down the back of the mag. Even the gun show cheapies don't have this and I'm wondering if anyone here has any and what your experisense has been with them reliablity wise????

Would Wilsons have been a better choice????

"Listen, stupid..... The first week I was in this joint, somebody stole my Red Cross package, my blanket, and my left shoe. Well, since then I've wised up. This ain't no Salvation Army - this is everybody for himself, dog eat dog."

"In Confusion.......There Is Profit"
Lt. Nick Holden USN

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-20-2009, 10:01 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

All of my mags were Kimbers, just to ensure that they'd fit my Compact correctly. I never had a problem with any of them.

I think I paid about $15 for the mags without bump pads and about $20 for the mags with bump pads.

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.

Old 01-20-2009, 10:41 PM   #3

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3475 Times on 1607 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Wilson 47D's are the popular ones in the after-market and command a nice following - they also go for about $25 to $30 a piece. They are nice and they will treat you well.

With my Nighthawks, when you purchase, Nighthawk offers you ( 6 ) of their "approved" Novak 7 or 8 rounders for $99 - and you can buy as many packages of ( 6 ) at that price as you want.

I bought 18 for my GRP and took 10 of them to Valhalla when I went. Valhalla uses flangible loads in their indoor range, and they are different from a normal 230gr ball round in their construction. Those Novaks ate every round and NEVER had a problem.

In addition, I was frequently required to dump the empty mags on the ground and reload as fast as possible while transitioning from one form of cover to another. As such I frequently kicked and step on the Novaks and didn't experience one issue with them.

I can recommend the Novak's without any hesitation. I have Novak's for both my .45's and my gals 9mm ( though some of the 9mm's were also Mec Gar out of Italy ) and all that came from Nighthawk have been flawless in performance.

Mec-Gar, which is another good magazine maker, also makes several good types of 1911 mags, but I did have one stinker of theirs that I bought. It was an 11-rounder and I couldn't get that one to run no matter what in either my Kimber or my Nighthawk GRP.

Wilson, Novak or Mec-Gar are all good choices in my book, it just depends what you want to spend....

JD

Old 01-20-2009, 11:29 PM   #4

Liked 1416 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

I have been a Wilson Combat shooter for years and up until this year used nothing else.

Then I found Tripp Research. Same price as the WC's but appear to be a step up in quality.

Check them out at:

trippresearch.com Online Store 1911 Magazines

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 01-20-2009, 11:34 PM   #5

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

'Nuther vote for the Wilson mags, great quality and won't let you down. Only ones use for CCW. However, I mix in surplus mags at the range just for pre-load sake. No problems wiht them either, but I just trust the WIlson. The surp were genuine "GI" contract (CTD had a run on these a few years ago, new in the wrapper - I got a bunch cheap).

Last edited by hillbilly68; 01-20-2009 at 11:37 PM.

Old 01-20-2009, 11:36 PM   #6

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3475 Times on 1607 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by canebrake View Post
Sweet Baby Jesus Cane!

At over $40 for their "upgraded" mags they had BETTER "F"ING perform... LOL

JD

Old 01-21-2009, 02:56 AM   #7

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I think for the time being till I run a few rounds through them I'll keep the CMC mags for range shooting.

Thanks for the comments and info.

"Listen, stupid..... The first week I was in this joint, somebody stole my Red Cross package, my blanket, and my left shoe. Well, since then I've wised up. This ain't no Salvation Army - this is everybody for himself, dog eat dog."

"In Confusion.......There Is Profit"
Lt. Nick Holden USN

Old 01-21-2009, 03:50 AM   #8

I learned the mag lesson the hard way. I bought a cheapo gun show special, and it is junk. Since, I only buy Kimbers or Novaks, although I would consider Mec-Gar.

You get what you pay.

Old 01-21-2009, 05:39 PM   #9

Liked 75 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 28

I use Colt mags in my AO.

Old 01-21-2009, 05:45 PM   #10

wilson mags have the most top-notch reputation... i have also had good luck with kimber's kimpro mags (with bumper pads) and i have one mecgar magazine that came with my newest pistol that i havent yet put rounds through, but it feels just as solid as anything else i have had around.