Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   1911 Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f57/)
-   -   Questions On 1911 Mags....... (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f57/questions-1911-mags-10154/)

Charley 01-20-2009 09:58 PM

Questions On 1911 Mags.......

What kind do you like?????

I've been using a few "Gun Show Specials" lately for the range but since I left a couple of them loaded for awhile they are now suffering from spread lips which is causing them to stick on ejection. They do still feed and shoot OK though. I bought a few CMC "Shooting Stars" to try out and maybe to use as CCW mags but I noticed something with them I'm a little leary about.

They seem to have a welded seam down the back of the mag. Even the gun show cheapies don't have this and I'm wondering if anyone here has any and what your experisense has been with them reliablity wise????

Would Wilsons have been a better choice????

matt g 01-20-2009 10:01 PM

All of my mags were Kimbers, just to ensure that they'd fit my Compact correctly. I never had a problem with any of them.

I think I paid about $15 for the mags without bump pads and about $20 for the mags with bump pads.

Dillinger 01-20-2009 10:41 PM

Wilson 47D's are the popular ones in the after-market and command a nice following - they also go for about $25 to $30 a piece. They are nice and they will treat you well.

With my Nighthawks, when you purchase, Nighthawk offers you ( 6 ) of their "approved" Novak 7 or 8 rounders for $99 - and you can buy as many packages of ( 6 ) at that price as you want.

I bought 18 for my GRP and took 10 of them to Valhalla when I went. Valhalla uses flangible loads in their indoor range, and they are different from a normal 230gr ball round in their construction. Those Novaks ate every round and NEVER had a problem.

In addition, I was frequently required to dump the empty mags on the ground and reload as fast as possible while transitioning from one form of cover to another. As such I frequently kicked and step on the Novaks and didn't experience one issue with them.

I can recommend the Novak's without any hesitation. I have Novak's for both my .45's and my gals 9mm ( though some of the 9mm's were also Mec Gar out of Italy ) and all that came from Nighthawk have been flawless in performance.

Mec-Gar, which is another good magazine maker, also makes several good types of 1911 mags, but I did have one stinker of theirs that I bought. It was an 11-rounder and I couldn't get that one to run no matter what in either my Kimber or my Nighthawk GRP.

Wilson, Novak or Mec-Gar are all good choices in my book, it just depends what you want to spend....

JD

canebrake 01-20-2009 11:29 PM

I have been a Wilson Combat shooter for years and up until this year used nothing else.

Then I found Tripp Research. Same price as the WC's but appear to be a step up in quality.

Check them out at:

trippresearch.com Online Store 1911 Magazines

hillbilly68 01-20-2009 11:34 PM

'Nuther vote for the Wilson mags, great quality and won't let you down. Only ones use for CCW. However, I mix in surplus mags at the range just for pre-load sake. No problems wiht them either, but I just trust the WIlson. The surp were genuine "GI" contract (CTD had a run on these a few years ago, new in the wrapper - I got a bunch cheap).

Dillinger 01-20-2009 11:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by canebrake (Post 64165)

Sweet Baby Jesus Cane!

At over $40 for their "upgraded" mags they had BETTER "F"ING perform... LOL :eek:

JD

Charley 01-21-2009 02:56 AM

I think for the time being till I run a few rounds through them I'll keep the CMC mags for range shooting.

Thanks for the comments and info.

bgeddes 01-21-2009 03:50 AM

I learned the mag lesson the hard way. I bought a cheapo gun show special, and it is junk. Since, I only buy Kimbers or Novaks, although I would consider Mec-Gar.

You get what you pay.

Hawg 01-21-2009 05:39 PM

I use Colt mags in my AO.

trustkill676 01-21-2009 05:45 PM

wilson mags have the most top-notch reputation... i have also had good luck with kimber's kimpro mags (with bumper pads) and i have one mecgar magazine that came with my newest pistol that i havent yet put rounds through, but it feels just as solid as anything else i have had around.