Question: RIA Tactical or Springfield A1- GI ???
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > Question: RIA Tactical or Springfield A1- GI ???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-04-2010, 09:18 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Question: RIA Tactical or Springfield A1- GI ???

I'm in the market for my first 1911. This will be my second gun purchase, I have a Ruger GP100. I am trying to decide between the Rock Island Armory 1911....

this one specifically.....Rock Island Armory 1911-A1 Tactical .45 ACP 5 Inch Barrel Parker

or the "lower-end" springfield armory 1911........

Model 1911-A1 .45 GI 5 Inch Barrel Stainless Steel Finish Milita

I have spoken with the owner of the store I go to, and I can get the RIA for 449.99. So what do you guys think ? 449 for the RIA tactical or 519.99 for the stainless springfield A1-GI ???

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-04-2010, 11:33 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Many folks like the RIA. It's a decent pistol and has more features than the Springfield G.I. model. I've owned an RIA tactical and that particular one was a lemon. I owned a Springfield MilSpec and it was outstanding right out of the box.

The MilSpec is one model up over the G.I. model. Coincidentally, it has about the same features as the cheaper RIA. Better sights, lowered & flared ejection port, nicer grips, etc...

My suggestion is to add a little more money to the pot and buy a Springfield MilSpec.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 02-04-2010, 11:45 PM   #3

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Springfield, and pony up the little bit extra for the Mil-spec model. Better ejection port, sights, and some other nice features. You won't regret it.

Ruger Mk III Competition .22 LR, S&W M&P Pro Series 9mm

Old 02-05-2010, 12:31 AM   #4

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I own the RIA tactical and its a very good entry level 1911. But I use it more as a beater. Has a lot of features the springy GI doesn't have like polished feeding ramps, beavertail grip safety, etc. It shoots pretty well and is reliable. I feel the metal is slightly heavier than a springy though. Don't let the fact that its made in the Philippines deter you from considering it. However, like always, when you are considering a new firearm you should shoot both for yourself and decide which is best for YOU!

"If guns cause crime then all of mine are defective." -Ted Nugent

Old 02-05-2010, 02:23 AM   #5
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 469 Times on 258 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I absolutely love my RIA 1911 never had a problem with it. Try here the money you save can go to transfer fees.
Rock Island 1911 .45ACP Tactical Handgun Part #AC-RI1911TAC

Old 02-05-2010, 02:38 AM   #6

Liked 17 Times on 9 Posts

Being an assistant magager at an FFL dealer and a gunsmith's assistant, I've had many a Springfield and Rock island apart for cleaning, mods, etc.
While I've never owned, or shot the RIA, I can tell you that the fit and finish is much better on the Springer.
I'm not bashing the RIA, I haven't really heard anything bad about them, but I do believe you would be happier with a Springfield Milspec as a first 1911.

Old 02-05-2010, 03:41 AM   #7

Liked 776 Times on 449 Posts
Likes Given: 491

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA357 View Post
Many folks like the RIA. It's a decent pistol and has more features than the Springfield G.I. model. I've owned an RIA tactical and that particular one was a lemon. I owned a Springfield MilSpec and it was outstanding right out of the box.

The MilSpec is one model up over the G.I. model. Coincidentally, it has about the same features as the cheaper RIA. Better sights, lowered & flared ejection port, nicer grips, etc...

My suggestion is to add a little more money to the pot and buy a Springfield MilSpec.
Bud's has the Parkerized MilSpec at $575 with 2 mags and 2 sets of grips. Don't know if that's a great price but seemed reasonable to me.

Springfield 1911 Mil-Spec 5" .45ACP Package for Sale at Buds Gun Shop $575.00

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 02-05-2010, 03:46 AM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

I don't know what prices are in Georgia, but in CA that's an excellent deal.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 02-05-2010, 03:56 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpyle View Post
Bud's has the Parkerized MilSpec at $575 with 2 mags and 2 sets of grips. Don't know if that's a great price but seemed reasonable to me.

Springfield 1911 Mil-Spec 5" .45ACP Package for Sale at Buds Gun Shop $575.00
Thanks for all of the input. I think I want the springfield, however the Springfield milspec on Bud's doesnt look like it comes with the extended beavertail safety, the competition match trigger, bigger sights, and the combat hammer.

Perhaps the link that I posted (first post) has an incorrect picture for the model that it describes....

Old 02-05-2010, 04:04 AM   #10

Liked 776 Times on 449 Posts
Likes Given: 491

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvharris23 View Post
Thanks for all of the input. I think I want the springfield, however the Springfield milspec on Bud's doesnt look like it comes with the extended beavertail safety, the competition match trigger, bigger sights, and the combat hammer.

Perhaps the link that I posted (first post) has an incorrect picture for the model that it describes....
Buds has a disclaimer that not all their pictures are of the actual weapon, they are stock photos. If you are interested just give them a call. Give you a chance to check out the service before you buy anything.

This is a better picture from your original website, your link was to the GI...this is the MilSpec.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Last edited by Jpyle; 02-05-2010 at 04:18 AM.