Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   1911 Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f57/)
-   -   Question: RIA Tactical or Springfield A1- GI ??? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f57/question-ria-tactical-springfield-a1-gi-23039/)

mvharris23 02-04-2010 08:18 PM

Question: RIA Tactical or Springfield A1- GI ???

I'm in the market for my first 1911. This will be my second gun purchase, I have a Ruger GP100. I am trying to decide between the Rock Island Armory 1911....

this one specifically.....Rock Island Armory 1911-A1 Tactical .45 ACP 5 Inch Barrel Parker

or the "lower-end" springfield armory 1911........

Model 1911-A1 .45 GI 5 Inch Barrel Stainless Steel Finish Milita

I have spoken with the owner of the store I go to, and I can get the RIA for 449.99. So what do you guys think ? 449 for the RIA tactical or 519.99 for the stainless springfield A1-GI ???

CA357 02-04-2010 10:33 PM

Many folks like the RIA. It's a decent pistol and has more features than the Springfield G.I. model. I've owned an RIA tactical and that particular one was a lemon. I owned a Springfield MilSpec and it was outstanding right out of the box.

The MilSpec is one model up over the G.I. model. Coincidentally, it has about the same features as the cheaper RIA. Better sights, lowered & flared ejection port, nicer grips, etc...

My suggestion is to add a little more money to the pot and buy a Springfield MilSpec.

Mr. Bluesky 02-04-2010 10:45 PM

Springfield, and pony up the little bit extra for the Mil-spec model. Better ejection port, sights, and some other nice features. You won't regret it.

junho806 02-04-2010 11:31 PM

I own the RIA tactical and its a very good entry level 1911. But I use it more as a beater. Has a lot of features the springy GI doesn't have like polished feeding ramps, beavertail grip safety, etc. It shoots pretty well and is reliable. I feel the metal is slightly heavier than a springy though. Don't let the fact that its made in the Philippines deter you from considering it. However, like always, when you are considering a new firearm you should shoot both for yourself and decide which is best for YOU!
:D

Shihan 02-05-2010 01:23 AM

I absolutely love my RIA 1911 never had a problem with it. Try here the money you save can go to transfer fees.
Rock Island 1911 .45ACP Tactical Handgun Part #AC-RI1911TAC

General_lee 02-05-2010 01:38 AM

Being an assistant magager at an FFL dealer and a gunsmith's assistant, I've had many a Springfield and Rock island apart for cleaning, mods, etc.
While I've never owned, or shot the RIA, I can tell you that the fit and finish is much better on the Springer.
I'm not bashing the RIA, I haven't really heard anything bad about them, but I do believe you would be happier with a Springfield Milspec as a first 1911.

Jpyle 02-05-2010 02:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CA357 (Post 224746)
Many folks like the RIA. It's a decent pistol and has more features than the Springfield G.I. model. I've owned an RIA tactical and that particular one was a lemon. I owned a Springfield MilSpec and it was outstanding right out of the box.

The MilSpec is one model up over the G.I. model. Coincidentally, it has about the same features as the cheaper RIA. Better sights, lowered & flared ejection port, nicer grips, etc...

My suggestion is to add a little more money to the pot and buy a Springfield MilSpec.

Bud's has the Parkerized MilSpec at $575 with 2 mags and 2 sets of grips. Don't know if that's a great price but seemed reasonable to me.

Springfield 1911 Mil-Spec 5" .45ACP Package for Sale at Buds Gun Shop $575.00

CA357 02-05-2010 02:46 AM

I don't know what prices are in Georgia, but in CA that's an excellent deal.

mvharris23 02-05-2010 02:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jpyle (Post 224877)
Bud's has the Parkerized MilSpec at $575 with 2 mags and 2 sets of grips. Don't know if that's a great price but seemed reasonable to me.

Springfield 1911 Mil-Spec 5" .45ACP Package for Sale at Buds Gun Shop $575.00

Thanks for all of the input. I think I want the springfield, however the Springfield milspec on Bud's doesnt look like it comes with the extended beavertail safety, the competition match trigger, bigger sights, and the combat hammer.

Perhaps the link that I posted (first post) has an incorrect picture for the model that it describes....

Jpyle 02-05-2010 03:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mvharris23 (Post 224893)
Thanks for all of the input. I think I want the springfield, however the Springfield milspec on Bud's doesnt look like it comes with the extended beavertail safety, the competition match trigger, bigger sights, and the combat hammer.

Perhaps the link that I posted (first post) has an incorrect picture for the model that it describes....

Buds has a disclaimer that not all their pictures are of the actual weapon, they are stock photos. If you are interested just give them a call. Give you a chance to check out the service before you buy anything.

This is a better picture from your original website, your link was to the GI...this is the MilSpec.

http://67.227.172.78/images/acu/medium/sai_pb9108lp.jpg