Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > Question on reparkerizing if installing a Beavertail...

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-01-2012, 02:52 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: West, by God, Funroe,Louisiana
Posts: 18,707
Liked 9185 Times on 5049 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Default Question on reparkerizing if installing a Beavertail...

I have a SA Milspec. And, there are a couple of things I want to do to it. I really want a beavertail. I get quite a bit of wear on the web of my hand when I shoot.
I also want a flat MSH (no biggie, that's a side note, we won't even address that).

Now, my paycheck was good to me this week, and I'm thinking about doing the install myself. But, I'll have to file off some metal. I'm very confident in my capabilities in doing this part, but what about the finish?

I'll obviously lose some in the area where I file. Can I reapply a Parkerizing in my kitchen, or do I really need a smith to do it?

__________________
trip286 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here


Old 12-01-2012, 02:55 AM   #2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
SSGN_Doc's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 3,787
Liked 1691 Times on 1027 Posts
Likes Given: 355

Default

I wouldn't do it in the kitchen if you are married and want to stay that way.

Brownells has some parkerizing kits, but for the cost of the kit and the hassle, if you are only doing one gun it may be cheaper to have it re-parked by a local gunsmith. They usually do parkerizing in batches. So you could find out when he is doing a batch.

__________________
SSGN_Doc is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 03:03 AM   #3
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
canebrake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: 150 miles NE of Sloppy Joe's Bar
Posts: 21,941
Liked 1403 Times on 805 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Default

IIRC, the Wilson Combat "drop-in" grip safety is truly a drop-in.

I put one on my Defender and no mod was required to install.

If you want to get a flat MSH look no further than S&A. They have the flat and one with a mag well.

If you get a chance, call Alan Smith. He's a hoot! He and Barb are two of the friendliest, knowledgeable and customer focused business people I have ever run into!

1-888-722-1911

Tell him what gun you have and he or Barb will fix you up.

Smith & Alexander - "The Mag-Guide People"

And be sure you tell them you heard about them on the FirearmsTalk.com forum!

__________________
http://i695.photobucket.com/albums/v...brake02jpg.jpg

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello
canebrake is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 03:03 AM   #4
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: West, by God, Funroe,Louisiana
Posts: 18,707
Liked 9185 Times on 5049 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSGN_Doc View Post
I wouldn't do it in the kitchen if you are married and want to stay that way.

Brownells has some parkerizing kits, but for the cost of the kit and the hassle, if you are only doing one gun it may be cheaper to have it re-parked by a local gunsmith. They usually do parkerizing in batches. So you could find out when he is doing a batch.
Thanks!! There actually is a local gunsmith, just a couple miles from my place. But he blew himself up about a month ago and has been chilling in the hospital...

The only other one I know of works at a local outdoors store, and he's an ass. I've tried to talk to him on several occasions, and he always has an attitude. I understand he's busy, especially since the other one has been hurt (who was infinitely more well liked by the community), but he could stop and understand too that I'm a potential customer. I guess he doesn't need my business. Which is fine, because he won't get it.

I think I'll just wait on Mr. Mans to get out of the hospital and see if he'd like to get back in the swing of things with a little light work and just have him do the whole install. As long as he doesn't decide to try and pay off the hospital bill with that one beavertail install...

By the way, the marriage should officially be over January 8th!!
__________________
trip286 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 03:04 AM   #5
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: West, by God, Funroe,Louisiana
Posts: 18,707
Liked 9185 Times on 5049 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by canebrake View Post
IIRC, the Wilson Combat "drop-in" grip safety is truly a drop-in.
Even with going from a GI style to a beavertail?
__________________
trip286 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 03:08 AM   #6
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: West, by God, Funroe,Louisiana
Posts: 18,707
Liked 9185 Times on 5049 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Default

I just looked it up, thanks Cane!!!
I compared a side by side, between it and the full fit, and there is a definite difference. It does appear, and the site claims, that it's a straight drop in fit!!

That saves on the jig, new files (I've worn mine out), refinishing and waiting.

Now to shop the MSH, I'll check out S&A. Thank you!!

__________________
trip286 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 03:21 AM   #7
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
canebrake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: 150 miles NE of Sloppy Joe's Bar
Posts: 21,941
Liked 1403 Times on 805 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Default

If you have a spur hammer;

Name:  CS0342.jpg
Views: 167
Size:  11.9 KB

you may need to change it to a commander style.

Name:  1911hammer.jpg
Views: 247
Size:  10.1 KB

Wilson Combat drop-in

Name:  429bg.jpg
Views: 142
Size:  9.7 KB

Beavertail Grip Safety, Drop-In, Government, Blue

__________________
http://i695.photobucket.com/albums/v...brake02jpg.jpg

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello
canebrake is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 01:28 PM   #8
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
HOSSFLY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Lufkin,Tx
Posts: 6,904
Liked 2149 Times on 1450 Posts
Likes Given: 1172

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post
Thanks!! There actually is a local gunsmith, just a couple miles from my place. But he blew himself up about a month ago and has been chilling in the hospital...

The only other one I know of works at a local outdoors store, and he's an ass. I've tried to talk to him on several occasions, and he always has an attitude. I understand he's busy, especially since the other one has been hurt (who was infinitely more well liked by the community), but he could stop and understand too that I'm a potential customer. I guess he doesn't need my business. Which is fine, because he won't get it.

I think I'll just wait on Mr. Mans to get out of the hospital and see if he'd like to get back in the swing of things with a little light work and just have him do the whole install. As long as he doesn't decide to try and pay off the hospital bill with that one beavertail install...

Quote:
By the way, the marriage should officially be over January 8th!!
Congrats Trip- Thats my birthday
__________________

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

HOSSFLY is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 04:26 PM   #9
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
canebrake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: 150 miles NE of Sloppy Joe's Bar
Posts: 21,941
Liked 1403 Times on 805 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOSSFLY View Post
Congrats Trip- Thats my birthday
Hoss, you still observe the ageing process with a birthday celebration?
__________________
http://i695.photobucket.com/albums/v...brake02jpg.jpg

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello
canebrake is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 04:57 PM   #10
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
HOSSFLY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Lufkin,Tx
Posts: 6,904
Liked 2149 Times on 1450 Posts
Likes Given: 1172

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by canebrake

Hoss, you still observe the ageing process with a birthday celebration?
Observe yes --- Celebrate - Not so much !!!
__________________

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

HOSSFLY is offline  
2
People Like This 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
RIA aftermarket beavertail? PLEASE HELP! thrashthis56 DIY Projects 1 01-18-2012 09:55 AM
loose beavertail, need how to MrWray 1911 Forum 12 10-28-2011 06:10 PM
beavertail safety question waxman895 1911 Forum 7 11-25-2010 07:12 PM
Reparkerizing My Garand? CA357 Gunsmithing Forum 6 04-12-2010 03:27 AM
Beavertail on a Glock maschinegun General Handgun Discussion 0 07-06-2007 02:26 PM