Question about 1911's - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > Question about 1911's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-25-2011, 03:21 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrJason View Post
I know you said you don't want to "mortgage the house" for the purchase but what is your budget?
Would like to stay under 1000, but will go around 1200 if necessary.

Old 01-25-2011, 03:23 PM   #12

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGIB View Post
TBH, all the name brand production 1911s will hold their value but Colt is a tad special in that regard. As far as upgrading - you can do the same stuff with any true 1911 but be sure to ask yourself why. Adding bells & whistles just for the sake of adding bells & whistles does not increase the value of the gun nor make it necessarily more reliable or accurate.

The BEST 1911 accessory, bar none, is quality magazines...
Not really bells and whistles type upgrading, the quality of the parts is what I mean. Example is I am ordering the Titanium Nitride bolt carrier for the AR. Long lasting, tough and will add value to the rifle in the long run.

Old 01-25-2011, 03:51 PM   #13

Liked 25 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 17

I'm also in the market for a 1911, at the SHOT show I got to handle a lot of 1911 from all the "big" guys. In your price range you should be able to get a quality gun, but it will have some MIM parts, some people don't like that and will want to change them out.

I was personally disappointed with fit and triggers the Colts I held. The Kimbers, S&W, and Sig were all pretty good. Nothing compared to the fit and trigger feel on the Nighthawk (but those are at least $1000 over your budget).

Your best bet is go to your local shop handle as many as you can, and if possible rent some to shoot at the range. What feels good in my hand may not in yours.

Albert Einstein "The important thing is not to stop questioning"

Old 01-25-2011, 04:46 PM   #14

Liked 23 Times on 7 Posts

I've owned just about every brand of 1911 at your price point and it really is just a matter of personal preference. None of them will be hand fit, all will have some MIM parts, and for the most part they will all perform the same. One of the reason I prefer Springers is they do not have a firing pin block like the Colts, Kimbers, and others do. The FPB doesn't bother me per se, I just hate reinstalling the little "links" after a complete detail strip...

Old 01-25-2011, 05:53 PM   #15

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrJason View Post
I'm also in the market for a 1911, at the SHOT show I got to handle a lot of 1911 from all the "big" guys. In your price range you should be able to get a quality gun, but it will have some MIM parts, some people don't like that and will want to change them out.

I was personally disappointed with fit and triggers the Colts I held. The Kimbers, S&W, and Sig were all pretty good. Nothing compared to the fit and trigger feel on the Nighthawk (but those are at least $1000 over your budget).

Your best bet is go to your local shop handle as many as you can, and if possible rent some to shoot at the range. What feels good in my hand may not in yours.
Look who was paying attention in class last week.

Old 01-25-2011, 05:57 PM   #16

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Just got back from The Armory here in Va Beach, handled several 1911's and despite the fact that there are a lot of MIM parts, their prices for Kimbers cant be beat and I think I am going to go with the Ultra Crimsion Trace. Thanks for the advice guys.

Old 01-25-2011, 06:05 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by cddbrowns View Post
I am able to get a Kimber Ultra Carry and a Colt 1911 for about the same price right out of the box, which would YOU go with?
Which Ultra Carry and which Colt to start with? That will go a long ways towards helping you make a decision.

I have shot a couple of Ultra Carry models from Kimber. Recently I rented one for a magazine test I did for the Staff section. What I do not like about this particular product line is that the slide and frame are not the same material. So you have metals with different hardness ratings rubbing against each other every time the weapon cycles. This causes wear on the weaker of the two surfaces. In this case, it will be the slide wearing on the aluminum frame.

For carrying, this makes the weapon lighter, so if weight is a concern this is the better option for you.

As I am a bigger guy, I don't mind the weight of an all steel 4.25" 1911 in either a shoulder rig or a belt rig. It feels right for me.

As Dr. Jason has stated the most important thing is that you spend some time shooting as many different types of 1911's as you can BEFORE you make a purchase because what might be right for any of us, could be a train wreck for you.

Good luck.

JD

Old 01-25-2011, 06:17 PM   #18

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
Which Ultra Carry and which Colt to start with? That will go a long ways towards helping you make a decision.

I have shot a couple of Ultra Carry models from Kimber. Recently I rented one for a magazine test I did for the Staff section. What I do not like about this particular product line is that the slide and frame are not the same material. So you have metals with different hardness ratings rubbing against each other every time the weapon cycles. This causes wear on the weaker of the two surfaces. In this case, it will be the slide wearing on the aluminum frame.

For carrying, this makes the weapon lighter, so if weight is a concern this is the better option for you.

As I am a bigger guy, I don't mind the weight of an all steel 4.25" 1911 in either a shoulder rig or a belt rig. It feels right for me.

As Dr. Jason has stated the most important thing is that you spend some time shooting as many different types of 1911's as you can BEFORE you make a purchase because what might be right for any of us, could be a train wreck for you.

Good luck.

JD
Colt Combat Commander. Im a big guy too so weight means nothing, but I do like the look of the 3 in barrel as well as the concealed properties of it. If the Colt Defender was available, this wouldnt have been a question. LOL! The Kimber is a Crimson Trace, the 3 inch bull barrel version.

LINK

Either way, I have shot the Kimber before, went with a buddy, but not the Colt. Finding one of those to shoot is a bit hard within my area.

Old 01-25-2011, 06:19 PM   #19

Liked 23 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cddbrowns View Post
Just got back from The Armory here in Va Beach, handled several 1911's and despite the fact that there are a lot of MIM parts, their prices for Kimbers cant be beat and I think I am going to go with the Ultra Crimsion Trace. Thanks for the advice guys.
Get some spare recoil springs and keep them on hand. The springs in those little guns only last 500-1000 rounds or so. I forget what Kimber recommends but 750 rounds and replace is in the ballpark.

Oh, make sure you really need/want a laser before investing in it. Kimber loves to sell the CT equipped guns as they must get a great deal on the grips from CT...

Last edited by NGIB; 01-25-2011 at 06:23 PM.

Old 01-25-2011, 06:23 PM   #20

I agree with NGIB on the springs. Another thing to keep in mind is that weapon is difficult to field strip. You need this tiny ass allen wrench which is a pain in the ass.

I shot a 3" Ultra as well and it did fine on feeding and function, even grouped pretty well. Of course I was running a Tripp's Research 7 round mag in a range gun, so the odds were slightly in my favor.

If you like it, than get it and get some shots up of your first trip to the range.

JD