Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   1911 Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f57/)
-   -   Question about 1911's (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f57/question-about-1911s-37384/)

cddbrowns 01-25-2011 01:32 PM

Question about 1911's

I know the couple of "big boy" 1911's out there, but I have a question about 2 specifically. I am able to get a Kimber Ultra Carry and a Colt 1911 for about the same price right out of the box, which would YOU go with?

If you have a better preference than either of those two, what are they? I am currently looking for my first 1911 and want the best of the best without having to take out a second mortgage on the house.....:p

New here, so take it easy fellas. LOL!

cddbrowns 01-25-2011 01:39 PM

Question about 1911's

I know the couple of "big boy" 1911's out there, but I have a question about 2 specifically. I am able to get a Kimber Ultra Carry and a Colt 1911 for about the same price right out of the box, which would YOU go with?

If you have a better preference than either of those two, what are they? I am currently looking for my first 1911 and want the best of the best without having to take out a second mortgage on the house.....

New here, so take it easy fellas. LOL!

NGIB 01-25-2011 01:49 PM

A mod will move this shortly so no harm done. What do you want a 1911 for?

Among "production" 1911s, some folks like Colt, some like Kimber, I prefer Springfield, the list goes on and on. We have a lot of 1911s gurus here so if you tell us what you'll use it for - we can give some good advice...

NGIB 01-25-2011 01:50 PM

What is the intended use of said 1911?

Among "production" 1911s, some folks like Colt, some like Kimber, I prefer Springfield, the list goes on and on. We have a lot of 1911s gurus here so if you tell us what you'll use it for - we can give some good advice...

cddbrowns 01-25-2011 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NGIB (Post 429232)
What is the intended use of said 1911?

Well, it was going to be my personal carry pistol, and my goal is to have one of each caliber in a different manufacturer, as my collection. I already have a 40 Smith and Wesson, a 308 Ruger, and I am looking at a 45. New to the gun world here so dont get all crazy laughin at me quite yet. LOL!

Either way, wanted something I could carry and shoot at the range when I felt the desire to.

danf_fl 01-25-2011 01:59 PM

Kimber is okay, but if you want to make changes later, I would buy the Colt.

Springers are decent and can be updated. I have one that has lasted a long time and will still outshoot the latest Kimber.

NGIB 01-25-2011 02:05 PM

The really short barreled 1911s can be very picky and tend to eat springs. Generally I like to stay with nothing shorter than 4" as far as barrel length. While I don't currently have one - it's hard to go wrong with a Colt and they make a number of "carryable" 1911s. Canebrake will be along shorty to teach the class...

cddbrowns 01-25-2011 02:12 PM

Cool, good info. Dont know much about "upgrading" a 1911 as most of my friends have Kimbers. That would explain a lot as it seems you cant upgrade a Kimber that well. I am building an AR-15 as well so I am all about getting the best of the best parts for the gun and that would just add to the new "hobby" I have picked up. HA! The one thing that I was concerned about was value down the road, I would imagine that the Colt would hold its value much longer than the Kimber simply for the name, but I didnt want to pay for the name over quality of the Kimber as I have heard nothing but WONDERFUL from the friends that have them.

Keep the advice comin!

NGIB 01-25-2011 02:17 PM

TBH, all the name brand production 1911s will hold their value but Colt is a tad special in that regard. As far as upgrading - you can do the same stuff with any true 1911 but be sure to ask yourself why. Adding bells & whistles just for the sake of adding bells & whistles does not increase the value of the gun nor make it necessarily more reliable or accurate.

The BEST 1911 accessory, bar none, is quality magazines...

DrJason 01-25-2011 02:18 PM

I know you said you don't want to "mortgage the house" for the purchase but what is your budget?