Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > Qualifications for a Match Grade Barrel

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-26-2010, 10:28 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Qualifications for a Match Grade Barrel

Almost every manufacturer of 1911's like to say they have "match grade" barrels. Okay, but what does that mean? I do not understand what qualifies a barrel as match grade. Obviously it has to do with tight tolerances, but what are they? I have read that Taurus uses an "air guage" to determine theirs, but without defining what that means, it is useless to me. Will some of you please explain what determines if a barrel is match grade or what?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-26-2010, 10:50 PM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5101 Times on 2651 Posts
Likes Given: 309

there is no real standard of measurement. its really what the maker determines and labels. if a barrel maker has pretty good barrels and then sells match grade it generally means the barrel rifling and bore diameter crowning etc are more uniform.

just because a barrel has been air gauged doesnt mean they arent tossing em all in the same bin regardless of results...

match grade can often be a marketing term rather than a useful designation the buyer can use. i would be more willing to believe a match grade air gauged barrel from the colt custom shop is a better barrel than the standard one than i would be willing to believe it of taurus as an example.

an air gauge pushes a measuring device down a bore to determine uniformity of rifling

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...