The proud owner of a 1911!!! - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > The proud owner of a 1911!!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-16-2009, 03:51 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 22 Times on 7 Posts

I'm glad someone agrees with me on the night sights thing. For the life of me I can't understand how seeing the front sight when you can't see the target is of any practical use. The makers of night sights must sit back and howl at the moon laughing while they count their money.

As far as the almost compliment - thanks but you know we have to disagree about something.

Old 09-16-2009, 04:08 PM   #22

Liked 58 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by feedsasquatch View Post
Cane, now what do you have against black 1911's? I mean, that black duracoat finish is beautiful; and much, MUCH more pleasant to look at than stainless steel

Question, since it's going to be my carry piece, I need to get a good night sight (for the front) to replace the fiber optic one. Where should I look?

Also, I need an extra Wilson mag, or three (7 rounds). What websites carry them the least expensively these days? Everyone around here just has Wilson mags in 8 rounds...
Don't let Cane get to you, your pistol is beautiful and, if I'm seeing correctly, the Colt 1911 in the box in his signature is blued... :-!

Regarding the Wilson mags, Cane is right. In my experience, you won't find Wilson online or at a store for a reasonable price. I would follow his advice...or give Chip McCormick a try. Whatever you do, though, get them blued so you can climb further under Cane's skin.

Old 09-16-2009, 04:08 PM   #23

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGIB View Post
For the life of me I can't understand how seeing the front sight when you can't see the target is of any practical use. .
You've never had to reactionary shoot in low light, back light or off light conditions??

Point shooting is one thing, especially in a defensive scenario, but finding that front site in a dimly lit situation can be vital to keeping rounds on target.

With Fall coming, I would think "dimly lit" would apply to most before and after work travel to be honest....

JD

Old 09-16-2009, 04:35 PM   #24

Liked 1419 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

A caneisim: "Never, did I say never buy what I like on my gun, ALWAYS buy what you like! Otherwise you will be carrying my gun on your hip!"

1253160843_milton.jpg

^ And tell JD to quit picking on my glasses!

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 09-16-2009, 05:19 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonyaeger View Post
That's alright, I've been a proud Glock owner since May, and have received nothing but grief from 1911 owners since...
I gleefully come to dinner when invited!

Quote:
Don't let Cane get to you, your pistol is beautiful and, if I'm seeing correctly, the Colt 1911 in the box in his signature is blued...
feed, your Colt is gorgeous! It just happens to be the same color as those lumps of coal imported from Austria!

That's a M1911 to you sir! Yes, and not black!

^ My M1911A1, NOT black!

Quote:
Regarding the Wilson mags, Cane is right. In my experience, you won't find Wilson online or at a store for a reasonable price. I would follow his advice...or give Chip McCormick a try. Whatever you do, though, get them blued so you can climb further under Cane's skin.
Just get the Cobra Mag! If you don't like it I'll buy it from you!

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

- orangello

Old 09-16-2009, 05:26 PM   #26

Liked 22 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by canebrake View Post
Just get the Cobra Mag! If you don't like it I'll buy it from you!
Tripp's are the only mags I've tried that will not run right in my S&W 1911. Yes, I know it's not a real 1911 as it has an external extractor...

Old 09-16-2009, 05:58 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGIB View Post
Tripp's are the only mags I've tried that will not run right in my S&W 1911. Yes, I know it's not a real 1911 as it has an external extractor...
I think I'll go back to bed!

- orangello

Old 09-16-2009, 06:28 PM   #28

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Canebrake Posted:

Quote:
My M1911A1, NOT black!
Quote:
That's a M1911 to you sir! Yes, and not black!
You'd better stop talking like that......Kanye West will get pissed again......

Old 09-17-2009, 02:04 AM   #29

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by canebrake View Post
Attachment 6027

Why? And I assume you are talking about Tritium sights?

Have you used these sights at night? Before you cash up $100 for the "night sights" PLEASE, find someone with them and ask to see them in true darkness.
  • Take what they say about how great they are with a grain of salt, they just pissed a C-note way for what I feel is a gimmick!
  • They do work in total darkness, but what good are sights when the target is invisible and you need a flashlight?
  • The benefits evaporate after the first shot! FLASH!
  • They are extremely difficult to see/acquire in partial light. The Hi-Viz acquire much better/faster than they do in low light!
  • And you CAN NOT beat the Hi-Viz in sunlight!
Save yourself a big buzzkill and spend the C-Note on a quality LED 300+ lumens tack light! Trust the old canebrake on this one.

My but if you gotta have them, go for it! [But promise me that if you do get the night sights and experience cognitive dissonance (buyer's remorse) that you Man-Up and tell the cane he was right! 'ole cane has made a few more circuits around the sun than most here and wish he had all the $ he pissed away on gun gimmicks!]

I will never buy another Wilson Combat magazine! I'm serious, and another cane suggestion; Call Shari Tripp, 1.877.837.9445 @ Tripp Research Tripp Research Inc. 1911 Magazines and tell her that canebrake from FirearmsTalk.com sent you and you want to buy one 7R-45-WG. (7 round - 45 ACP -Welded Base Government/Commander)

Tell Shari if this Cobra Mag is half as good as canebrake says you'll be back for more! (Then ask her to send it with free shipping. Hey, 100% of the shots you don't take, miss!)

Try them, you won't look back! Like I said above; "Trust the old canebrake on this one."

My but if you gotta have Wilsons, go for it!

A caneisim: "Never, did I say never buy what I like on my gun, ALWAYS buy what you like! Otherwise you will be carrying my gun on your hip!" [you could do much worse, I'm just sayin'.]
Cane, I like Tritium because I HAVE them on my GLOCK 23. And you know what they WORK! At night, in my apt, I can't see my front sight on my COLT at all. I can see my G23 sights very well, in total darkness or low-light. I've practiced at the shooting range in daylight and low-light conditions, and both work just fine for the Tritium sights.

FYI - The front-sight on my Colt is dove-tailed...

As for the mags, I think I'll give Tripp Research a call and drop your name to see if I can get myself free shipping for a mag or two.

Oh, and my gun looks better than yours

Dillinger, I'm glad someone here with 20/20 vision has my back. Maybe Cane should just get a big red laser grip already ;0)