Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > The proud owner of a 1911!!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-16-2009, 02:41 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1414 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

feed, but, but, but.......it's black??

I just don't know what you and Dillinger see in black 1911s!

It is however, a COLT!!! And a great looking one at that! (except that black color thingie??)

Great size, Kart NM, hi-viz.........veeerrry nice Rampant Pony!

2849057005_2ebbbdf376_b.jpg

Welcome to the fraternity. Now get 'er dirty with plenty of photos!

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 09-16-2009, 02:48 AM   #12
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1174 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

That's a sweet pistol. Ya' done good.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 09-16-2009, 02:07 PM   #13

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by canebrake View Post
feed, but, but, but.......it's black??

I just don't know what you and Dillinger see in black 1911s!

It is however, a COLT!!! And a great looking one at that! (except that black color thingie??)

Great size, Kart NM, hi-viz.........veeerrry nice Rampant Pony!

Welcome to the fraternity. Now get 'er dirty with plenty of photos!

Cane, now what do you have against black 1911's? I mean, that black duracoat finish is beautiful; and much, MUCH more pleasant to look at than stainless steel

Question, since it's going to be my carry piece, I need to get a good night sight (for the front) to replace the fiber optic one. Where should I look?

Also, I need an extra Wilson mag, or three (7 rounds). What websites carry them the least expensively these days? Everyone around here just has Wilson mags in 8 rounds...

Old 09-16-2009, 03:01 PM   #14

Liked 21 Times on 7 Posts

Can't see from the pix but is the front sight dovetailed? Brownells will have just about any kind of sights you want; however, if dovetailed you'll need to know the dimensions. I personally don't see the need for night sights myself as at defensive ranges you're generally point shooting anyway - but that's just my silly opinion. BTW, I like black 1911s...

Old 09-16-2009, 03:06 PM   #15

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGIB View Post
Can't see from the pix but is the front sight dovetailed? Brownells will have just about any kind of sights you want; however, if dovetailed you'll need to know the dimensions. I personally don't see the need for night sights myself as at defensive ranges you're generally point shooting anyway - but that's just my silly opinion. BTW, I like black 1911s...
Forgive my ignorance, but what do you mean by "dovetailed"?

I'd like night sights because my house is very dark at night, and the tritium sights on my Glock are very good if I ever have to shoot from my back bedroom wall to the hallway (5-6 yards). You just "never know"...

Old 09-16-2009, 03:13 PM   #16

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by feedsasquatch View Post
Forgive my ignorance, but what do you mean by "dovetailed"?
It means that there's a slot machined into the slide (which resembles a dove's tail) into which the sight is fit. Some front sights are just soldered onto the slide, dovetailed sights are easier to replace (just takes a few taps with a hammer) and can be adjusted for drift as well.

Here's a pic of a S&W wheelgun with a dovetailed front sight (taken from gunblast.com).

Now hatred is by far the longest pleasure;
Men love in haste, but they detest at leisure.
- Lord Byron (George Gordon Noel Byron), Don Juan
(canto XII, st. 6)

Old 09-16-2009, 03:14 PM   #17

Liked 21 Times on 7 Posts

Dovetailed means there is a triangular slot milled into the slide that the sight slides into. The rear sight will be dovetailed for sure...

Old 09-16-2009, 03:37 PM   #18

Quote:
Cane, now what do you have against black 1911's? I mean, that black duracoat finish is beautiful; and much, MUCH more pleasant to look at than stainless steel
Name:  tool.gif
Views: 104
Size:  1.4 KB

Quote:
Question, since it's going to be my carry piece, I need to get a good night sight (for the front) to replace the fiber optic one. Where should I look?
Why? And I assume you are talking about Tritium sights?

Have you used these sights at night? Before you cash up $100 for the "night sights" PLEASE, find someone with them and ask to see them in true darkness.
  • Take what they say about how great they are with a grain of salt, they just pissed a C-note way for what I feel is a gimmick!
  • They do work in total darkness, but what good are sights when the target is invisible and you need a flashlight?
  • The benefits evaporate after the first shot! FLASH!
  • They are extremely difficult to see/acquire in partial light. The Hi-Viz acquire much better/faster than they do in low light!
  • And you CAN NOT beat the Hi-Viz in sunlight!
Save yourself a big buzzkill and spend the C-Note on a quality LED 300+ lumens tack light! Trust the old canebrake on this one.

My but if you gotta have them, go for it! [But promise me that if you do get the night sights and experience cognitive dissonance (buyer's remorse) that you Man-Up and tell the cane he was right! 'ole cane has made a few more circuits around the sun than most here and wish he had all the $ he pissed away on gun gimmicks!]

Quote:
Also, I need an extra Wilson mag, or three (7 rounds). What websites carry them the least expensively these days? Everyone around here just has Wilson mags in 8 rounds...
I will never buy another Wilson Combat magazine! I'm serious, and another cane suggestion; Call Shari Tripp, 1.877.837.9445 @ Tripp Research Tripp Research Inc. 1911 Magazines and tell her that canebrake from FirearmsTalk.com sent you and you want to buy one 7R-45-WG. (7 round - 45 ACP -Welded Base Government/Commander)

Tell Shari if this Cobra Mag is half as good as canebrake says you'll be back for more! (Then ask her to send it with free shipping. Hey, 100% of the shots you don't take, miss!)

Try them, you won't look back! Like I said above; "Trust the old canebrake on this one."

My but if you gotta have Wilsons, go for it!

A caneisim: "Never, did I say never buy what I like on my gun, ALWAYS buy what you like! Otherwise you will be carrying my gun on your hip!" [you could do much worse, I'm just sayin'.]

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

- orangello

Last edited by canebrake; 09-16-2009 at 03:40 PM.

Old 09-16-2009, 03:46 PM   #19

Quote:
I personally don't see the need for night sights myself as at defensive ranges you're generally point shooting anyway - but that's just my silly opinion.
Aha........wisdom.....

Quote:
BTW, I like black 1911s...
Just when I decide to pay a complement!

BLACK IS RESERVED FOR LONG GUNS!!

- orangello

Old 09-16-2009, 03:47 PM   #20

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3474 Times on 1607 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

I humbly disagree with the previous posts by the old guys with old eyes.

I have night sights on all my pistols and I do not have any problems acquiring targets anywhere.

With the added night sight ability, I can transistion from bright, well lit surroundings, into dimly lit, smokey environs and still stay on target.

This was proven 100% effective in my run through Valhalla training Center's indoor "staged" shooting scenarios that exposed me to bright spotlights, disco lights, partial darkness and complete darkness where only the targets were lit by my instructor with a flashlight, or by a subtle back lit.

In my mind, there is no good arguement for NOT having night sights on your personal defense pistol, assuming you have good eyesight and are willing to practice with the damn thing.

JD