A problematic RIA - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum >

A problematic RIA

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-17-2011, 04:27 PM   #11
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 483 Times on 269 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I hope it works well for you and you don't have further troubles.

I have 2 RIA 1911's and never an issue with either. Keep us in the know, if you do get rid of it, give me a shout.

Old 04-17-2011, 06:25 PM   #12

Liked 1444 Times on 812 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

We all need to agree that ALL gun makers will build a lemon or two.

The ones with the high numbers right out of the box (we all know which ones I mean) should be avoided. The lower cost doesn't make the owner of a recalcitrant firearm feel better. The ONLY good feelings the low cost gun owner gets is if it runs well.

The seminal difference with any lemon is that the reputable manufacturers' lemon can be fixed by simply brining it back to design spec. As for the cheap ones, not so much.

The secondary reason is that the reputable manufacturers' lemon will only cost the owner time to get it running. As for the cheap ones, not so much. Using a SWAG, Id bet the money the owner is required to spend to bring a cheap lemon into running form may well exceed what purchasing the higher quality, reputable manufacturers' offering from the get-go.

Yes Virginia, you do get what you pay for!

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 04-17-2011, 07:28 PM   #13

I had my dealer order a new RIA 1911A1 a few years ago. I remember that at the time he tried to talk me into spending $50 bucks more and getting the SA GI. I only wanted the frame to put a new Kimber .22lr conversion on, make a dedicated .22 out of it. Slick up the trigger a little, after all, how bad could they be? and I had a buddy that wanted to buy the bbl & slide, so I went cheap and got the RIA.

My brand new RIA showed up, thought I'd run a few .45 acps thru it, didn't clean it or nothing, just a quick test. Even though I only wanted the frame for the conversion unit this was the first RIA I had ever owned. The fit & finish looked good, for the money I was impressed, thought I might be on to something real good here!

Everything was fine till I pulled the trigger on the first round. No bang, no dent in the primer, not even a light hit, no mark at all. Same on the next 5 rds. The hammer pressure was normal.

When I went to take the firing pin out I had to use a drift pin with all my weight on it just to get it to clear the underside of stop plate. What I found in there kinda ticked me off!

A problematic RIA - 1911 Forum

The firing pin looked used and I've never seen a fp spring like that. Pretty obvious they never test fired this weapon, it couldn't fire!

Stripped it down and put in ALL new springs and a firing pin. Threw the mag away and used some proven High Standards. I ran 50 rds rapid fire thru it and it was a Swiss Watch. Very happy camper?, ya for about a half hour!

OK, now I mount the Kimber conversion unit, which was the whole point of me buying this RIA anyway. No-go, the slide stop hole in the frame is too low. Not much, maybe .010" but its enough to pull down on the conversion unit and jam it. Tried switching some Colt & SA slides on this frame, same problem, definitely out of specs. The unit fit fine on the Colt, SA frames.

I didn't want to slot the hole in the frame or unit so I did what I should have done in the first place, bought a SA GI 1911A1.

A problematic RIA - 1911 Forum

So I have an out of specs RIA that runs fine. Am I happy with it, I guess so, makes for a good knock-around, cheap, dependable 1911. Am I happy with RIA, no. Would I buy another RIA, don't think so, not after this one. I'm not trying to influence anybody, this is just what I ran into and in this case, yes I got just what I paid for - TWICE! Ken

Old 04-17-2011, 07:34 PM   #14

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

You don't necessarily always get what you pay for, but you NEVER get what you don't pay for.

Old 04-17-2011, 09:15 PM   #15
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3525 Times on 2022 Posts
Likes Given: 1552

I purchased this RIA with the intent of fixing it. This is not my first 1911 platformed handgun.
How can you fix something that is not broke? I do not have any problems with the other 1911's in the safe, so I needed something to work on.

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 04-17-2011, 09:24 PM   #16

Liked 86 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by hossfly View Post
had the same situation with mine-
been fooling with it about 6 months off & on-
solved it just yesterday-

traded the pos off!!!!!
awwwwww man!!!!!!!!

http://blackpowdertimes.com/index.php

Old 04-17-2011, 09:36 PM   #17

Liked 2182 Times on 1472 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawg View Post
awwwwww man!!!!!!!!
I could'nt trust it -
Sides, I've grow real fond of the other & it's been 100% with all 10 of my different brand mags filled with any style rounds-
Also been really wanting anuther hi-cap 9mm so ----------------

Last edited by HOSSFLY; 04-17-2011 at 09:44 PM.

Old 04-18-2011, 10:11 AM   #18

Liked 15 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

The first 1911 I had was an Armscor imported by Charles Daly. It was a POS with a warped frame I could do nothing with.

I purchased a standard RIA and proceeded to build it into what it is today: a very reliable, accurate weapon.

Though I won't go into detail, the only things that remain RIA are the barrel, slide and frame.

The STI Spartan is built using the very same frames and slides.

I buy cheap pistols knowing that I will end up rebuilding them anyway, so why spend the extra money?

Even my Mosin-Nagant is modified and more accurate than it has any business being (avg 1.5MOA, better with handloads).

One man's trash... and all that.

Josh
Is it better to live by a corrupt society's standards rather than face persecution for not doing the same? This is the dilemma we now face. We must hold fast to our convictions as we confront this dilemma. Knowing one's self goes a long way in the crisis. - Me

Last edited by Joshua M. Smith; 04-19-2011 at 04:07 AM.

Old 04-18-2011, 10:20 AM   #19
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3525 Times on 2022 Posts
Likes Given: 1552

Thanks Josh.
So far, I have not had a problem with the handgun, but knowing the previous owner's problems (and my thinking I am a "hot dog" with 1911's), I plan to see if the "fixes" from ARMSCOR were effective.

After the 1000 rounds, then come the mods (if I don't trade/sell/give it away).

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 04-18-2011, 05:01 PM   #20

Liked 24 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 162

The one I gave my dad was the first pistol I ever hit dead bullseye right out of the box with. I regret giving it up to my dad but he loves it. Not being a pistol savvy person he took an old car window, put it in a tree, stood at 75 yards away, & hit it dead center with one shot. I'm sure I could always wheel a deal with him if need be.

MALO PERICULOSAM LIBERTATEM QUAM QUIETUM SERVITIUM

Newest Threads