A problematic RIA
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > A problematic RIA

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-13-2011, 06:50 PM   #1
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3106 Times on 1785 Posts
Likes Given: 1320

Default A problematic RIA

As most know, I purchased one from a member here.
The 1911a1 has made a couple of trips back to the ARMSCOR repair depot with Fail To Feed problems that seem to get worse as time goes on.

I received the handgun a couple of months ago and finally got to looking at it this week. Here are some observations.

Overall appearance is okay. Parkerized finish with plain stocks.

Manually actuated the slide with 3 rounds - no problems noted.

Feld stripped the piece and it was dry (but repair slip stated that they (ARMSCOR) lubed the piece. I put a few drops of REM oil in the normal areas.

Took it to the range. Sights are the small military sights and are not the best for an old timer with trifocals, but I tried anyways.
Using the Wolf 230gr fmj, I had 1 FTF throughout the session (and I attribute it to the ammo, the primer fell out and messed up functioning.) I have never been "bitten" by any other 1911a1, but this one bit me at the grip safety area.

Overall, it seems that the problems have been fixed (so far). I plan to shoot another 400 rounds through it, then change springs, and put it up for sale.

So far, it appears to be a solid device worth the amount paid.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-13-2011, 07:00 PM   #2

Liked 23 Times on 7 Posts

Just as an FYI, I've been using Wilson Ultima II lube on my 1911s recently and I'm impressed. The stuff is VERY slick and stays where you put it...

Old 04-14-2011, 12:25 AM   #3

Liked 17 Times on 9 Posts

I'm glad the problems seem to be fixed, and I'm not trying to bash a particular brand because I know many people that are completely satisfied with their RIA, but I must warn people about them: Their quality is hit or miss, the tolerances are all over the place.
I know this because when I worked for a gunsmith and his gun store I had to completely disassemble and reassemble literally hundreds of them, not for repair but for custom slide re-finish and personalized engraving.

Old 04-16-2011, 06:15 AM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 20 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 52

I have had the same problem with my RIA. I have not been able to go to the range and really shoot it as hard as I would like to. I have been able to put about 100rd threw it. I have tried loading some Winchester 185gr JHP's and have had a hit and miss. I read that if you polished the feed ramp with some 600 grit or finer sandpaper it would help. I just have not had the time to do it.

Old 04-16-2011, 09:39 AM   #5
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Feed ramp was polished by ARMSCOR on one the "repair" trips, and the problem remained.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC

Old 04-17-2011, 01:03 PM   #6

Liked 2181 Times on 1472 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Quote:
Originally Posted by danf_fl View Post
Feed ramp was polished by ARMSCOR on one the "repair" trips, and the problem remained.
Had the same situation with mine-
Been fooling with it about 6 months off & on-
Solved it just yesterday-

TRADED THE POS OFF!!!!!

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

Old 04-17-2011, 04:12 PM   #7
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

I don't think I'll trade it yet.
This is one mystery I will figure out (should it arise again).

If I get 1000 rounds through it and not have an FTF (due to gun and not ammo), then it goes.

Amendment II:

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC

Old 04-17-2011, 04:59 PM   #8

Liked 24 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 160

I bet the mag/s might've been the culprit.

"THE SIERRA JUST HOTEL TANGO FOXTROT -OVER"

MALO PERICULOSAM LIBERTATEM QUAM QUIETUM SERVITIUM

Old 04-17-2011, 05:04 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

This was my problem RIA and Dan was kind enough to take it off my hands for a project. I tried Chip McCormick Shooting Star, Kimber, Wilson Combat 47, Act-Mag and Tripp Cobra mags. It had the same problem with them all. It was also clean and well lubricated for every range trip. It was definitely not a mag problem. It went back to Armscor in Nevada twice for the feeding issue and was never fixed to my satisfation, as it never fed reliably.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 04-17-2011, 05:13 PM   #10

Liked 24 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 160

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA357 View Post
This was my problem RIA and Dan was kind enough to take it off my hands for a project. I tried Chip McCormick Shooting Star, Kimber, Wilson Combat 47, Act-Mag and Tripp Cobra mags. It had the same problem with them all. It was also clean and well lubricated for every range trip. It was definitely not a mag problem. It went back to Armscor in Nevada twice for the feeding issue and was never fixed to my satisfation, as it never fed reliably.
That happened with my first RIA, every now & then I'd get a few malfunctions & later gave it to a buddy who knew about the issues. I looked at some willing to try again & saw a few that had incompletely milled slides . My second one was Rock Island Rock Solid which I gave to my dad for Christmas & his birthday(26th). Come to think of it I never sold a 1911 to anyone.

"THE SIERRA JUST HOTEL TANGO FOXTROT -OVER"

MALO PERICULOSAM LIBERTATEM QUAM QUIETUM SERVITIUM