Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > Prices on 1911`s

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-08-2012, 01:38 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 32 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Prices on 1911`s

Hi guys,

I have a question.

Just out of curiosity, I checked gunbroker.com today and saw that the Colt MK IV Series 70 is flaming expencive. Way above $ 1000,-.
http://www.gunbroker.com/All/BI.aspx?Keywords=Colt+MK+IV+Series+70

Here in germany they go for about € 350,- what is about $ 460,- and less then half the price as in the US.

So why are these older models so expencive?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-08-2012, 02:39 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 20 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Simple- It's a Colt. If you can pick them up for $ 460, I see some money to be made...... Not sure about the legal "stuff" though......

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian."

Old 04-08-2012, 02:45 PM   #3

Liked 2176 Times on 1468 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog View Post
Hi guys,

I have a question.

Just out of curiosity, I checked gunbroker.com today and saw that the Colt MK IV Series 70 is flaming expencive. Way above $ 1000,-.

Here in germany they go for about € 350,- what is about $ 460,- and less then half the price as in the US.

Look again- I see a lot of $1000 + being ASKING prices but the only ones bid on are "specials" like Gold Cups & 9mm which always bring a better price
I cud list a hipoint for a grand- dont mean anyones going to actually buy it---Always look for bids or ended auctions to compare--

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

Last edited by HOSSFLY; 04-08-2012 at 02:47 PM.

Old 04-08-2012, 03:44 PM   #4

I was just curious, since I was also pointed, not to do any major changes on my Col MK IV Seies 70 in 9mm, like changing the front sight or so.

Old 04-08-2012, 04:31 PM   #5

Liked 2176 Times on 1468 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Quote:
I was just curious, since I was also pointed, not to do any major changes on my Col MK IV Seies 70 in 9mm, like changing the front sight or so.
I agree - The 70 series 9mm are a bit scarce & bring a premium price
Of course its YOUR gun, make yourself happy with it- I would

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

Old 04-08-2012, 05:24 PM   #6

Liked 35 Times on 29 Posts

Quote:
Hi guys,

I have a question.

If I could find any Colt, short of it being totally junked, for $460, I'd jump on it! A currant production NIB 'plain Jane' Colt will crowd the $1K price here in the states. Of course, seems that may be a common practice with manufacturers. They'll export their products to another country at unbelieveable discounts. I saw a news report on TV several years ago about a $60K Cadilac being available for under $20K in europe.

Old 04-08-2012, 09:23 PM   #7

Liked 15 Times on 11 Posts

I bought my 1987 series 80 for 500 bucks, in good shape with 300 rounds of ball and a brand new military issue shoulder holster.

Old 04-09-2012, 07:21 AM   #8

I paid € 350,- for my Series 70 in 9mm, or better my Sig P226 was converted to the Series 70.

Since I am a target shooter, I will have to make some changes on the 1911, like a different set of sights.
Having some work done on the trigger system isn´t such a drama, as I could always just get new parts and have the work done on them and keep the original parts to swap back, if needed.

But since the front sight in staked in the slide, I don`t have much of a choice, but to have some work done there.

Old 04-09-2012, 07:23 AM   #9

Liked 208 Times on 148 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog
I paid € 350,- for my Series 70 in 9mm, or better my Sig P226 was converted to the Series 70.

Since I am a target shooter, I will have to make some changes on the 1911, like a different set of sights.
Having some work done on the trigger system isn´t such a drama, as I could always just get new parts and have the work done on them and keep the original parts to swap back, if needed.

But since the front sight in staked in the slide, I don`t have much of a choice, but to have some work done there.
Your sig 229 was converted?

------------Space Not for Hire.-----------

Old 04-09-2012, 08:12 AM   #10

German gun law is a pain in the ass.

All firearms must be registered in the gun permit.
If you sell or scrap one, it has to be removed from the permit.

In order to purchase a new firearm, you must have a necessity, stated by you shooting federation in a formal letter.
I wanted to prevent of needing a new necessity and had my Sig P226 converted to a Colt MK IV Series 70. That means the Sig was removed from my permit and the Colt was entered into my permit. It was converted.

Of course, I could have purchased a third pistol, but then I would have to proof, that I shoot at competitions to receive an extended necessity. But I don`t see any point in keeping a firearm, that I can`t hit an open barn door with (the P226 just wans`t built for me).

As I mentioned above, german gun laws are a real pain in the ass and one of the reasons, the gun marked is so cheap here on used guns.
Most of us gun owners are fed up with being pushed around by plain stupid laws, that restrict our rights, so they just give up their guns and sell them.

The used markt is flooded with firearms at the moment and that makes them dead cheap here in germany.