Powerstroke vs. Slide Release, 1911 - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > Powerstroke vs. Slide Release, 1911

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-05-2014, 01:31 PM   #11
RUT
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts

>>I'm starting to go the Powerslide method as the side benefit to this method<<

As long as you do it "man fashion" you'll have no problems.

Old 03-12-2014, 02:44 AM   #12

Liked 19 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 15

The_American, .02 worth from an old 1911 owner/shooter/carrier/firearms instructor/armorer. I've used 1911 type pistols from various manufacturers since the '60s. During my last several years in full time LE, and currently as a reserve, I have used the slide stop to close the slide of my 1911 type pistols during reloads. I have used this technique in competition, training, qualification, etc. Even under stress, I have never once had an issue with this, nor has the slide stop notch ever "rounded" etc. on any of these pistols. I've seen many more malfunctions induced by shooters using the "slingshot" method. I suspect this is due to the slide return to battery being variable with the slingshot technique in that shooters vary in their strength, distance the slide is actually pulled back prior to release, riding the slide forward, etc...ymmv

DISCLAIMER: I am not a famous special operator gunsmith professional trainer, nor am I likely to get my own TV show anytime soon. Just a regular old guy that has used 1911 type pistols for some time now.

Old 03-16-2014, 04:01 PM   #13

Liked 84 Times on 68 Posts
Likes Given: 177

The way i was taught was to always powerstroke with JHP's specifically when re-chambering after emptying the gun as its a more fluid movement causing less pressure on the bullet resulting in less "settling" of that round. However i use both methods and dont really favor one over the other. It seems to me like alot of things with firearms its just personal preference. Remember 1911's can be rather temperamental until broken it my 1911 isnt broken yet so i still have issues from time to time. Anyway hope this helps good luck!

• Courage
  • Loyalty
  • Rectitude
  • Benevolence
  • TRUST
Guns Owned

Para USA 1911 EXPERT .45ACP - sold

Sig Sauer P238 .380ACP - sold

Glock 23 .40 S&W

For reviews on various products check out my youtube!

https://www.youtube.com/user/Hellfire198362

CCW map

http://www.handgunlaw.us/LicMaps/ccwmap.php

Old 03-24-2014, 04:22 AM   #14

Liked 27 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by rock185 View Post
The_American, .02 worth from an old 1911 owner/shooter/carrier/firearms instructor/armorer. I've used 1911 type pistols from various manufacturers since the '60s. During my last several years in full time LE, and currently as a reserve, I have used the slide stop to close the slide of my 1911 type pistols during reloads. I have used this technique in competition, training, qualification, etc. Even under stress, I have never once had an issue with this, nor has the slide stop notch ever "rounded" etc. on any of these pistols.
Just like it was designed to do. What a concept! When the 1911 was designed, pistol shooting was all one handed. The military continued instructing one handed 1911 shooting up through the 1960's. I know that because it was my job to teach that method. Colonel Cooper taught us a better way. It really makes no difference which method you use. The only "wrong" way is that which causes a malfunction. I prefer the slide release which, for me, is quicker. Also, you need two healthy, dry, unencumbered hands to slingshot the slide. A nanosecond in a gun fight is a lifetime.
Retired Police Detective '71-'01 / LEOSA Certified
Naval Aviation Veteran '65-'69

United States Constitution (c) 1791
All Rights Reserved
Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 03-24-2014, 04:37 AM   #15
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21988 Times on 12398 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by pioneer461 View Post
Just like it was designed to do. What a concept! When the 1911 was designed, pistol shooting was all one handed. The military continued instructing one handed 1911 shooting up through the 1960's. I know that because it was my job to teach that method. Colonel Cooper taught us a better way. It really makes no difference which method you use. The only "wrong" way is that which causes a malfunction. I prefer the slide release which, for me, is quicker. Also, you need two healthy, dry, unencumbered hands to slingshot the slide. A nanosecond in a gun fight is a lifetime.
IMO, the 1911 was designed to be operated one handed, simply because when it was adopted by the military, they were still some horse mounted calvary, which meant using the pistol one handed.

Old 03-24-2014, 06:18 AM   #16

Liked 48 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 250

With all due respect here, this isn't 1911, and we aren't riding horses. I don't buy the training makes fine motor skills not fine anymore, unless you train those motor skills under the same amount of stress you are facing in real life. Are bullets flying at you when you train? If they do, and you claim fine motor skills are no longer fine, you might think differently when the SHTF. Also, you're Al assuming you will have the same 1911 when it does hit the fan. What if you have a SIG? A glock? Powerstroke = works. Slide stop = could be in a different spot on the gun. Look at the variables.

PSA 16" Mid upper
Palmetto State Defense Lower
Aimpoint Comp M2
Springfield XD 9 Sub
Winchester semi 12ga
Remington 870
Mosin Nagant 91/30
RIA 2011 VZ Grips 1911 .45 acp

My deviled egg farts

People Like This 
Old 03-24-2014, 06:32 AM   #17
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

I've got 2 1911s, 3 HKs and a Beretta and the slidestop is in the same location on all 6. Right where the thumb naturally goes on it's way to a natural grip.

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

Old 03-24-2014, 08:13 AM   #18

Liked 48 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 250

Ok. Then the slide stop would probably be OK for you to use. I have a Springfield XD 9, and it's way closer than the 1911. I'm not trying to argue with anyone here. I realized my last comment may have sounded a little smartass, but that wasn't my intention. Just want everyone to consider all the variables with philosophies. Weapons evolve, training evolves, philosophies evolve. I mean, remember when people said glocks were crap because they are plastic ? Or that you need iron sights before a red dot? Well, what's more likely to fail? And acog with tritium/fiber optics in it that's coated in rubber that's shock proof, water proof, dust proof, etc? Or a plastic magnum MBUS sight that can break when you hit it on a humvee door? I just don't want people to be so close minded in their philosophies. After all, the only way to truly get better is to test out alternative theories, proving or disproving each one. I can't use the slidestop, because muscle memory messes me up. You can. See why that's not a blanket statement that's true?

PSA 16" Mid upper
Palmetto State Defense Lower
Aimpoint Comp M2
Springfield XD 9 Sub
Winchester semi 12ga
Remington 870
Mosin Nagant 91/30
RIA 2011 VZ Grips 1911 .45 acp

My deviled egg farts

Old 03-25-2014, 01:05 AM   #19
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

I'm a big believer in whatever works for someone is what they should do. For me the slide stop works better. And thank God for my two red dots and my Trijicon Accupoint 1 - 4. ;-)

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

Old 03-25-2014, 02:26 AM   #20
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21988 Times on 12398 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahamp2003 View Post
With all due respect here, this isn't 1911, and we aren't riding horses. I don't buy the training makes fine motor skills not fine anymore, unless you train those motor skills under the same amount of stress you are facing in real life. Are bullets flying at you when you train? If they do, and you claim fine motor skills are no longer fine, you might think differently when the SHTF. Also, you're Al assuming you will have the same 1911 when it does hit the fan. What if you have a SIG? A glock? Powerstroke = works. Slide stop = could be in a different spot on the gun. Look at the variables.
merely pointing out how the design of the 1911 came to be in the beginning, and the reasoning behind it.

i am not making assumptions of any kind, simply pointing out some historical reference.

i happen to be quite familiar with the pistols i own and use.

sorry i spoiled your parade.