Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   1911 Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f57/)
-   -   Powerstroke vs. Slide Release, 1911 (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f57/powerstroke-vs-slide-release-1911-a-104502/)

The_American_of_Zone_9 02-26-2014 04:25 PM

Powerstroke vs. Slide Release, 1911

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7446/...fb2490d9_z.jpg

My dear fellow handgunners,

I bring good cheer and glad tidings to one and all on this festive Wednesday morning.

I come seeking your knowledge about a concern I have with my 1911. But first a bit of background...

While at the firing range and working through my third box of ammo of the 500 round "breaking-in" process. I came across a double feed after my initial reload. Since I powerstroke in order to release the slide, I switched to pressing the Slide Release instead whereupon I had no other issues with double feeds.

Now, my question is...

Is pressing the Slide Release better on the 1911 than a powerstroke?

I hope to hear from each and everyone of you regarding this most pressing matter. I prefer a powerstroke in order to keep my muscle memory more uniform since I alternate carrying my three different handguns throughout the month. However, if powerstroking my 1911 is going to cause a jam then I'll happily switch to pressing the Slide Release.

Best regards,
D.Idaho

Note: the photo above is of the 1911 in question, a Charles Daly Bul M-5 Commander in .45. along side a 100 Quetzal bill, Guatemala currency.

JonM 02-26-2014 11:44 PM

Double feeds are typically magazine issues. Pulling the slide back and releasing is the same action that happens when its fired but at a slower rate allowing more time for a weak or improper built or improper designed magazine to pop extra rounds. Its a common issue with double stack 1911 magazines

danf_fl 02-27-2014 11:16 AM

The slide stop (the part you are calling the slide release) has the purpose of stopping the slide when the magazine in empty.

The notch in the slide that the stop goes into can become rounded if used as a slide release.
Maybe not right away, but with time.

Then the slide stop will quit doing its job.

RUT 02-27-2014 12:30 PM

I don't "do" the slide stop method of release, and see no benefit to it. (even with my Kahr!)

JonM 02-27-2014 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RUT (Post 1517775)
I don't "do" the slide stop method of release, and see no benefit to it. (even with my Kahr!)

It's fast. Speed matters in such things. If your just plunking and potting dirt clouds it doesn't matter.

Downside is it takes finer muscle control while slingshotting the slide is gross muscle movement.

If you always use the slide stop it becomes muscle memmory which negates the fine muscle movement issue.

The problem with the slingshot method is new shooters tend to ride the slide causing fail to feed. Which creates big issues and a dangerous condition.

The_American_of_Zone_9 02-27-2014 05:05 PM

Dear Handgunners,

Thank you so much for your input regarding my pressing concern.

An extra special thank you to JonM for his posts, very informative.

I'll be putting the 1911's fourth box of ammo through in March at which time I will incorporate all your fine bits of advice.

Thanks again. God Bless. And keep America strong and beautiful while I'm away.

Best regards,
D. Idaho

clr8ter 02-27-2014 05:40 PM

What does "power stroke" mean, in this context? Never heard that term.

JonM 02-27-2014 06:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clr8ter (Post 1517949)
What does "power stroke" mean, in this context? Never heard that term.

He means pulling the slide back and letting go. Slingshotting it

clr8ter 02-27-2014 08:36 PM

Oh, ok. Thanks

DynoGuy 02-27-2014 10:45 PM

I'm starting to go the Powerslide method as the side benefit to this method is you don't have to worry where exactly the release lever is on any semiauto you may have to use in a shtf moment.