is it possible?
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > is it possible?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-27-2012, 12:48 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 53 Times on 43 Posts

Default is it possible?

Is it possible to put a full size Kimber slide on a ultra covert frame?

I ask for the simple reason that I like the ultra covert for concealed carry but would prefer to target practice with a full sized 1911. I know I could always Buy a second 1911 for this but that's not what I want to do.

If its possible, can I order the slide complete from Kimber or how would I go about this?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-27-2012, 04:12 PM   #2

Liked 430 Times on 283 Posts
Likes Given: 34

You want to put a 5" barrel and slide on a compact/officer's frame? I don't think that's going to work. Could be wrong though.

Old 01-27-2012, 04:15 PM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6664 Times on 3546 Posts
Likes Given: 499

Wont work. The way the recoil springs and such are configured are vastly different for each slide.
"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

"I crapped my pants to avoid the draft!!" -Ted Nugent

Old 01-27-2012, 04:40 PM   #4

Liked 781 Times on 452 Posts
Likes Given: 499

Won't work and ill advised to attempt. Barrel bushing, slide release,chamber throat, etc will all be in the wrong place. Barrel will basically be just sitting on the frame and if you managed to chamber and fire a round the whole thing will blow up in your hands.
"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 01-27-2012, 05:44 PM   #5

Liked 35 Times on 29 Posts

The closest thing I know of to what you want is Kimber's 'Compact Stainless II' model. That is a 4" barrel on an officer's frame. You might call them to see if a 4" slide & barrel would work okay on your Ultra frame. As already stated, unless the spring/guide assy is included with the new slide, you'll probably need that also.

Old 01-27-2012, 07:56 PM   #6

Basically that's what I was talking about, the whole top assembly on the frame

Old 01-28-2012, 12:46 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunRunner View Post
Basically that's what I was talking about, the whole top assembly on the frame
Still don't think it will work, even with the whole assembly. I believe the frame on an Ultra is shorter than on the full size & the spring channel of the 5" would not be covered by the dust cover, exposing the recoil spring.

Old 01-28-2012, 08:28 AM   #8

Thought so but was hoping otherwise. So I was forced to Buy another gun......... Woe is me......lol

Old 01-28-2012, 03:36 PM   #9

Quote:
Thought so but was hoping otherwise. So I was forced to Buy another gun......... Woe is me......lol
That's what you wanted to do anywau, right?? Glad we could be of service.

Old 01-28-2012, 04:16 PM   #10

Liked 2182 Times on 1472 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Quote:
Sorry 'bout that

Newest Threads

Ria