Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   1911 Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f57/)
-   -   Polishing My Barrel (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f57/polishing-my-barrel-62467/)

JoshH 04-13-2012 06:51 PM

Polishing My Barrel

3 Attachment(s)
O as the pics show my barrel has some wear on it after putting about 1000 rounds through my Springer A1. I would like to possibly polish the barrel to a nice silver shine. My question is should I? And what's the best way to do it? Will it have any effect on the durability or function of the weapon?

testarija 04-13-2012 07:26 PM

2 Attachment(s)
The same happened to my Beretta barrel... There's a few youtube videos that will illustrate it for you. I've put about 1000 rounds since I polished the barrel and don't notice any effect on the durability or function of the weapon. I see you have a stainless steel guide rod so I recommend doing it; it'll look good.

Here is how I did it. Submerge it in vinegar for about 8 to 10 hours. That’s right; vinegar. After that, wash it with soap. With some 2K sandpaper, start sanding until you remove all the black coat off. It will actually look polished when you’re done. Afterwards, rub it down with some Mothers Polish and use a Dremel buffing pad. At this point, you should be happy with the results. If not, use a buffing wheel.

JoshH 04-13-2012 07:38 PM

Yea buddy! That looks great! I'll give it a whirl. Has anyone used flitz? I have heard its a good polish.

orangello 04-13-2012 07:47 PM

That does look nice, but is it rust resistant now without the coating, or do you simply keep it oiled.

Nice thread title by the way; i LOL'd.

JoshH 04-13-2012 07:47 PM

My question exactly!!??

testarija 04-13-2012 07:57 PM

thanks... well, that's probably the only downfall. it will not hold up against rust as well as a coated one. It's been about 5 months since and I don't notice any rust at all. and yes, i do keep it a little oiled. as long as you keep it stored properly, i doubt the rust will ever affect it.

orangello 04-13-2012 08:40 PM

I wonder about some kind of "clearcoat" for barrels? It would be cool if there were something more permanent than oil; maybe something that would lower friction too like that cerakote stuff but clear.

kytowboater 05-17-2012 05:13 AM

Will polishing a bushing less bull barrel on a 1911 effect it negatively?

danf_fl 05-17-2012 08:53 AM

It will make it look like a firearm that has not been used and make the owner look like someone who does not practice.

If you want a shiny barrel, go stainless.
Any additional coating could cause jams (paint or clearcoat gumming up, the barrel gets a little warm during shooting).
Polishing the current coating could cause looseness in the lockup and bushing area if done over-zealously.

kytowboater 05-17-2012 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by danf_fl
It will make it look like a firearm that has not been used and make the owner look like someone who does not practice.

If you want a shiny barrel, go stainless.
Any additional coating could cause jams (paint or clearcoat gumming up, the barrel gets a little warm during shooting).
Polishing the current coating could cause looseness in the lockup and bushing area if done over-zealously.

Thanks for the info Dan. I'll leave it alone.