Pics of 1911A1 Rock Island 45acp - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > Pics of 1911A1 Rock Island 45acp

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-11-2008, 09:47 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 332
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defender View Post
I owned Colts and Springfields long before I ever owned a Kimber. Neither brand is as good as the Kimbers I've owned.

All three brands beat a Rock though.
colt is a pos springfields are pretty good and so are kimbers but you are comparing apples to oranges the kimbers and springers are way more expensive then a rock river for the money you can't go wrong with a rock river...............
__________________
IN A WORLD OF COMPROMISE SOME DON'T H&K
GOD BLESS THE SECOND AMENDMENT :D :D
GOD BLESS THE NRA :D :D
NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER
VOTE PRO GUN ONLY
SUPPORT THE SECOND AMENDMENT
h&k bigdaddydieseldan is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 05:48 AM   #12
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 495
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by h&k bigdaddydieseldan View Post
...for the money you can't go wrong with a rock river...............
I LOVE my RIA 1911. It is amazing for the price. Sure, it's not fancy kimber, but I could buy a pair of RIA 1911's, a new york reload holster to carry them both in, and a boatload of bullets and nice mags to keep them fed for the price of one kimber.
janikphoto is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 05:14 PM   #13
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 84
Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default

I'm a RIA/Armscore fan. Good, solid pstols & the price is right.
L-R RIA 38 Super, High Standard GI, RIA GI that I made "Tactical" & RIA Tactical.
kansas45 is online now  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 03:19 PM   #14
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 2
Default

I have owned 4 Rock Island pistols and approx 10 different Kimbers. Ive also owned too many Springfields to count. To start, Springfield's are in my opinion and experience more reliable out of the box than Kimbers. Out of the Springfeild's, none of them ever had a problem that I couldn't narrow down to a magazine problem or ammo problem. of the 10 or so Kimbers (2 custom II's, 2 Warriors, 1 Ten II, 1 TLE/RL II pro carry external extractor, 1 TLE II pro carry internal extractor, 1 full size CDP, 1 Tactical II ultra carry, thats all I can recall by model at this time) at least half of them had major problems out of the box. I know, Your going to say something like "the book says to shoot 500rnds to break it in!!!" Well, a well made firearm doesn't need to be broken in. If a gun needs 500rnds to be broken in, you just added $200.00 to the cost of the pistol which already is $1300.00 to $1400.00 dollars making it nearly a $1600.00 pistol. Not to mention, when do you know for sure when the gun is finished being fully broken in and you can safely deside to carry it? Most profesionals standards are at least 500 rnds without a failure before useing it for duty/defence. Now youve got an $1800.00 to $1900.00 Kimber. For a few bucks more you could have a Wilson, Nighthawk or a number of other high end custom 1911's that dont need to be broken in. The two Kimbers I really liked were the Warriors. 100% reliable and accurate out of the box. By the way, the Rocks were 2 full size field grades and two compact field grades. All FOUR WERE FLAWLESS IN FUNCTION EVEN WITH HOLLOW POINTS AND MORE THAN ACCEPTIBLE ACCURACY! And no break in period. If I had to go into a gunfight with a choice of a Kimber or a RIA neither of which I had shot before, with the exception of possibly the Warrior, with my personal experience with both,I would grab the Rock.

Last edited by ebar5; 08-20-2008 at 03:21 PM. Reason: Spelling errors
ebar5 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 03:56 PM   #15
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
matt g's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 3,885
Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebar5 View Post
I have owned 4 Rock Island pistols and approx 10 different Kimbers. Ive also owned too many Springfields to count. To start, Springfield's are in my opinion and experience more reliable out of the box than Kimbers. Out of the Springfeild's, none of them ever had a problem that I couldn't narrow down to a magazine problem or ammo problem. of the 10 or so Kimbers (2 custom II's, 2 Warriors, 1 Ten II, 1 TLE/RL II pro carry external extractor, 1 TLE II pro carry internal extractor, 1 full size CDP, 1 Tactical II ultra carry, thats all I can recall by model at this time) at least half of them had major problems out of the box. I know, Your going to say something like "the book says to shoot 500rnds to break it in!!!" Well, a well made firearm doesn't need to be broken in. If a gun needs 500rnds to be broken in, you just added $200.00 to the cost of the pistol which already is $1300.00 to $1400.00 dollars making it nearly a $1600.00 pistol. Not to mention, when do you know for sure when the gun is finished being fully broken in and you can safely deside to carry it? Most profesionals standards are at least 500 rnds without a failure before useing it for duty/defence. Now youve got an $1800.00 to $1900.00 Kimber. For a few bucks more you could have a Wilson, Nighthawk or a number of other high end custom 1911's that dont need to be broken in. The two Kimbers I really liked were the Warriors. 100% reliable and accurate out of the box. By the way, the Rocks were 2 full size field grades and two compact field grades. All FOUR WERE FLAWLESS IN FUNCTION EVEN WITH HOLLOW POINTS AND MORE THAN ACCEPTIBLE ACCURACY! And no break in period. If I had to go into a gunfight with a choice of a Kimber or a RIA neither of which I had shot before, with the exception of possibly the Warrior, with my personal experience with both,I would grab the Rock.
Strange, my $700 Kimber ran flawlessly out of the box. I've never had it fail to do anything. Never a fail to feed or a stove pipe.
__________________
"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.
matt g is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 06:49 PM   #16
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Posts: 24,301
Liked 3485 Times on 1612 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Default

^ +1

I have had three Kimbers and never had any problems. I still own two of them and they have all performed quite well. Maybe dude had some older models, or maybe he works for RIA.

JD
Dillinger is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 07:25 PM   #17
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
matt g's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 3,885
Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
^ +1

I have had three Kimbers and never had any problems. I still own two of them and they have all performed quite well. Maybe dude had some older models, or maybe he works for RIA.

JD
I got mine in 2000. It was one of the first 'II' models. The S/N is 168**, and oddly enough, it's an even quarter.

Here is an interesting article from American Handgunner that reflects my experience, and the experience of many that I've talked to, with Kimber's pistols. I just have a hard time believing people that say otherwise.

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0BTT/is_173_29/ai_n7578407
__________________
"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.
matt g is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 07:53 PM   #18
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Posts: 24,301
Liked 3485 Times on 1612 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Default

^ Yeah, I don't know bro.

I haven't bought a new one in a couple of years - I had to get all fancy and get the 'Hawks, but my Kimbers always ran like a champ.

I bought a Raptor II right after they came out, carried it for like 2 years, and sold it for about $100 less than I paid for the thing with only a belt holster that I bought for it. It ran everytime - range ammo, store ammo, limited reloads that I put through it. I never had one issue with that weapon, which was why it was my go to carry piece.

I could probably count on one hand the number of times I had a FTF with either of my .45's from Kimber. That would encompass just about every known magazine type out there, and all sorts of ammo.

I still consider them a great gun, for the price. Taurus is a little more bang for the buck right now, but for the best package deal on a production 1911 - I would have to go with Kimber.

JD
Dillinger is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
rock island armory 1911 shannon 1911 Forum 72 04-06-2012 04:39 AM
rock island armory 45 1911a1 spencer280 1911 Forum 46 07-02-2010 08:02 AM
Springfield Armory or Rock Island Armory? Cryptic Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion 13 04-06-2010 06:28 AM
Taurus Pt 1911a1 Boris General Handgun Discussion 3 04-23-2008 12:39 AM



Newest Threads