Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > Personal grip for the 1911

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-10-2010, 06:07 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Personal grip for the 1911

I'm a new enough shooter that I try different grips (ways to hold) my 1911 when I'm shooting it.

I know what the "proper" grip is, but how do people here hold theirs?

I'm still trying to develop good form for shooting my 1911.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-10-2010, 07:56 AM   #2
VR4

I hold mine like this.

MY IDPA/USPSA VIDEO'S

http://www.youtube.com/user/VR4154#p/u

Old 08-10-2010, 08:01 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by VR4 View Post
I hold mine like this.

Yeah that's actually the way I've been holding mine mostly.

Old 08-10-2010, 09:01 AM   #4
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2611 Times on 1520 Posts
Likes Given: 1160

This is close to asking "How do you sit in the driver's seat?"
Everyone has a variation of their favorite hold. Thumbs up, thumbs on safety, thumbs forward, white knuckled, limp wrist, etc...
If your hold will allow you to shoot 500 rounds in one day (think a 1 day competition) and your hands do not hurt afterwards, then you have developed the hold for you.
If your hand hurts after 10 rounds of .45ACP in the M1911a1, then you are holding it wrong.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT

Old 08-10-2010, 09:45 AM   #5

I was more curious what grips people here used.

Using that grip I'll only start to feel some "fatigue"? in my hands after 100 rnds.

I'm still new enough it's trivial for me to change my grip and try different ones.

Old 08-10-2010, 04:04 PM   #6
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2611 Times on 1520 Posts
Likes Given: 1160

Extend your arm and have the thumb and forefinger form a "V". Place the handgun centered in the "V" (the idea is to let your arm absorb as much recoil as possible, not parts of the hand.)
Have as high of a grip on the handgun as possible (try to form a straight line through the barrel and your forearm).
Bring the sights up to you, don't bend your head down to see the sights.
Bring your "non-dominant" hand up for support and put the thumbs in close proximity of each other (some people will instinctively try to cross the non-dominant thumb behind the handgun slide. DON'T DO THAT!)

Exactly how to hold your thumbs and what works for you is mainly trial and error.
My basic hold works on both semi-autos and revolvers for me.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT

Old 08-11-2010, 12:21 PM   #7

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I have a slightly modified traditional hold, the one you're taught in the instructional videos can work if you're new and go from there to what you like.
Placing your dominant hand as high on the grip as you can and wrapping your fingers firmly, letting the thumb rest under the safety and wrapping your non-dominant hand's fingers on the "V" between your fingers of your dominant hand to provide a better surface area grip between both of your hands. My non-dominant hand's index finger holds the front fo the trigger gaurd for extra muzzle control. I have large hands so this is easier for me to do than some of the other people I shoot with do.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I'm already surrounded by half-dead brainless people already, the zombie apocalypse would just give me a reason to be productive and get rid of them.