The perfect 1911!?!? - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum >

The perfect 1911!?!?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-16-2011, 03:12 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Actually, yes it does matter how well it shoots. I'm not going to buy something that doesn't do what i want or expect. For those of you that feel like I'm disgracing the 1911, you have your opinions, and are very well entitled to them. But to me, this is something i want for what i want it for. Its been a dream of mine since for quite some time. I'm not saying i won't use it or shoot it, I'm just stating that this is something i will take more pride in, and take more extreme caution with than most of my other ones. I do agree that a gun is a tool. But the fact of the matter is that i carry 24/7 and if my carry gun gets nicked because i layed under my truck and it was in my way, then i say "dang, i shouldn't have done that". But I'm not talking about a $300 Bersa or a $500 Kahr, I'm talking about a 1911 that I'm willing to spend $2000-6000 on. I don't know about you, but that's a ton of change for me. All I'm asking for here is what do you feel makes a better 1911, in general. Tell me which sights you like and why they're better. Do you prefer an accessory rail? Full length or short rail? Why? Which grip panels do you think are best? Why? This is the kind of thing I'm talking about. I want your opinion of how you'd prefer it be set up. Not your opinion of what i should or shouldn't do with it. I'm considering a colt defender to carry daily, but it still won't be my one main prized possession. I want a really nice 1911 to keep in really nice condition for a really long time. I will have that. If you have a 1972 Olsmobile 442 worth $50,000, I'm not the one to decide if you should keep it in the garage, take it out for a weekend stroll or drag race it in the pro stock nationals. But i will give you my opinion, if asked, to what size carburator to use on your 455 rocket. Don't be the bubble buster, be the helping hand. Hell, if i wanted a bubble buster, do you think i would have came to FTF ? No! I would have turned my computer chair around and said "Honey. What do you think i should do?" To the rest of you who gave your thoughts on mods, thank you for being simple. Thanks for not being my wife. To anymore of you that want to help, thank you as well.

Old 11-16-2011, 04:17 PM   #22

Liked 65 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 59

Quote:
Originally Posted by DodgeThis View Post
Actually, yes it does matter how well it shoots. I'm not going to buy something that doesn't do what i want or expect. For those of you that feel like I'm disgracing the 1911, you have your opinions, and are very well entitled to them. But to me, this is something i want for what i want it for. Its been a dream of mine since for quite some time. I'm not saying i won't use it or shoot it, I'm just stating that this is something i will take more pride in, and take more extreme caution with than most of my other ones. I do agree that a gun is a tool. But the fact of the matter is that i carry 24/7 and if my carry gun gets nicked because i layed under my truck and it was in my way, then i say "dang, i shouldn't have done that". But I'm not talking about a $300 Bersa or a $500 Kahr, I'm talking about a 1911 that I'm willing to spend $2000-6000 on. I don't know about you, but that's a ton of change for me. All I'm asking for here is what do you feel makes a better 1911, in general. Tell me which sights you like and why they're better. Do you prefer an accessory rail? Full length or short rail? Why? Which grip panels do you think are best? Why? This is the kind of thing I'm talking about. I want your opinion of how you'd prefer it be set up. Not your opinion of what i should or shouldn't do with it. I'm considering a colt defender to carry daily, but it still won't be my one main prized possession. I want a really nice 1911 to keep in really nice condition for a really long time. I will have that. If you have a 1972 Olsmobile 442 worth $50,000, I'm not the one to decide if you should keep it in the garage, take it out for a weekend stroll or drag race it in the pro stock nationals. But i will give you my opinion, if asked, to what size carburator to use on your 455 rocket. Don't be the bubble buster, be the helping hand. Hell, if i wanted a bubble buster, do you think i would have came to FTF ? No! I would have turned my computer chair around and said "Honey. What do you think i should do?" To the rest of you who gave your thoughts on mods, thank you for being simple. Thanks for not being my wife. To anymore of you that want to help, thank you as well.
Hey, I agree with you...
It's your money, your gun & your preferences - you can do whatever you want to do with your stuff!!! This is how I feel about my stuff too...

I have 2 1911's - the 1st one I got was a Springfield loaded model. I have over 1500 rounds through it. Excellent pistol.
Combat tritium night sights. Ambi-safety. VZ grips. I added a Smith & Alexander magwell to it (sorry this is a crappy pic from an iPad):
The perfect 1911!?!? - 1911 Forum

Nothing wrong with it - but if your budget is $2-6K - I say you may as well get the ultimate 1911. My advice would be from one of the pre-eminent semi-custom manufacturers (Ed Brown, Wilson, Les Baer or Nighthawk Custom). This is what I did. I got an Ed Brown Kobra in Stainless.
I had EB build it. Ordered it in May & rec'd it in September. I dropped the ambi-safety & went with a strong side safety only. After having the ambi on the SA - I like the strong side only better. I had them install a 10-8 rear sight with a .140" rear notch. The 10-8 sight has a U-shaped rear notch and the rear sight is all black (no tritium inserts). The .140 rear notch is just slightly wider & this leaves a bit of space between the two sides of the front sight post (for a 50 year old guy with reading glasses & deteriorating sight - this helps me 'pick up' the front sight easier). Also the lack of 3-dot tritium inserts helps too. The only tritium insert is on my front sight post & this aids in quicker sighting (less "busy"). A Gold-Dot or even a fiber optic front sight would be a great option too. Trigger is a 10-8 Flat trigger that EB tuned to 3.5# pull. The flat trigger looks funny but it is the same depth as the shortest portion of my curved trigger on the SA. My finger can hit the trigger at any position (up high on the trigger or down low on the trigger) - the 'purchase' or feel and/or backward pull is the same no matter. I will shortly purchase a Wilson Combat Flat Trigger & change my SA over to this as well (once you go with a flat trigger - you won't go back). Anyway, I also added rear slide serrations that (theoretically) cut down glare on the rear of the slide and aid in target aquisition too (but in reality - I just did this for looks - not sure if I have ever experienced glare on a slide to the point of affecting aim). Grips are custom wood grips from Sarge or Browns but I have Ivory grips on order from Sarge. When those come in, it will be all Ivory on the Brown. Here are some pics of the Brown. Shot it again this weekend & round count is around 600 through it now...
Brown Custom Grips - Snakewood grips:
Sarge's Marblewood grips:
Sarge's King Cobra skin grips:

Pic of the rear of the slide showing the rear sight & serrations:

Old 11-16-2011, 06:11 PM   #23

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Ill definitely have to check out the flat trigger. You're right, its different, but i can see the advantage. Beautiful pieces guys! Keep 'em comin!

Old 11-16-2011, 11:50 PM   #24

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

...just an idea

...another

Be Well.

Last edited by neilage66; 11-17-2011 at 12:25 AM. Reason: smaller pic

Old 11-17-2011, 01:20 AM   #25
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3539 Times on 2029 Posts
Likes Given: 1559

Just a couple of mine

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 11-17-2011, 01:39 AM   #26

$2000-6000...buy 4 Tauruses. Mine goes bang every time, is accurate,
runs dirty and has over 5000 rounds through it. Why spend money on a trailer queen. Get something to save your life. Carrying concealed and worrying about looks seems counterproductive

Old 11-17-2011, 01:51 AM   #27

Likes Given: 1

The perfect 1911. Find a old GI US Government issue anywhere from WW1 to Vietnam. A old rattle battle. Shes will be a old war horse, seen action, and came home. Probably keep someone alive. That will be the perfect 1911. Oh the stories she could tell . A real good shooter and looker with history.

Old 11-17-2011, 02:46 AM   #28

Liked 9 Times on 5 Posts

PLUMANATER speaks the truth. I guess everyone has their own idea of beauty. On visiting my local gun stores yesterday I saw two beautiful firearms. The first was an old model 70 Winchester that had some real caractor. It had been USED. The next gun I saw was a well used and love Colt 1911 vintage WWI. When I held that old warhorse, and examined it with its bluing almost gone it sent a tingle down my spine. To imagine all the places that old Colt had been and the thing it has done that no new gun will ever do, made me desire it more than all the new guns in the cases.

Old 11-17-2011, 02:48 AM   #29

Liked 65 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 59

Quote:
Originally Posted by danf_fl View Post

Just a couple of mine
SWEET (on both counts)!!!!!!
What model Dan Wesson is that? Guardian perhaps? I want a DW next!

Old 11-17-2011, 03:36 AM   #30
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 22315 Times on 12477 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

dodge, wasn't try to offend you, just stating what are practical facts to me. i don't tend to own anything a don't or can't use. i try to be a practical person as much as possible. i buy something to use period, not to look at or admire. there is no way that i would spend a large amount of money on anything and not use it for it's intended purpose. i have seen too many people do such a thing, just to say they have something to brag to their friends about. i spend good money on nice things, but i take care of my things, i don't abuse them, but i don't baby them either. if you want a nice custom pistol, then by all means you should order or buy one, but at the very least, make it a range gun that at least gets shot a few times a month. even a custom pistol can be shot quite a bit, and taken care of will last you a lifetime and still be passed on to your heirs. just my opinion. i hope you find the pistol you're looking for.