Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > The perfect 1911!?!?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-15-2011, 01:46 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by DodgeThis View Post
I have pondered a long time on the perfect 1911 for myself. I hope to pick out the perfect one, one day. This will not be my primary carry piece. It'll mostly be a keep sake. Ya know, pretty gun, in a pretty case, in its on safe, put up some where. The kind that you only get out to clean it and admire it 2-3 times per year, maybe take it out and shoot it once a year kind of gun. Yet, I want a few bells and whistles. I'm not talking about going all out with gold trimmings and pearl grips, but I ain't talking about a plain jane blued steel either. I'd like to get some of your opinions of what you'd pick out for yourself. Pictures would always be a plus. I know your opinion and mine will be different, but I want to see what exactly is out there. I want to know the aftermarket/custom internal goodies that make it function better. I want to know what helps that an untrained eye may not pick up. Which brand would you recomend, and why? I like tradition in some areas and this happens to be one of those areas. For that reason, I would like to go with Colt. However I am not totally against any other. If Kimber, or someone else, is better and offers more what I want, then I'll go with someone else. I just know that there are so many options out there for 1911's.
Also, I was wondering if S&W is the only manufacturer that offers a rounded main spring housing. My hand fits a little low at the bottom of a 1911 grip, and the S&W "Ë"series feels much better on my hand.
Let the dream come out!

THANK YOU!
please, please don't be "one of those" guns are to be shot and shot often. if that is your plan for your 1911 take a picture of one hang it on the wall.

Rigjumpr
Texas CHL Instructor, NRA Handgun Instructor,
Owner Operator- DefenderTX Concealed Handgun training
“American by birth Texan by the grace of God”
“Molon labe”
http://www.ebay.com/itm/151001455519?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p39 84.m1555.l2649

Old 11-15-2011, 01:46 AM   #12
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1173 Times on 509 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

This is my "perfect" 1911. Sistema Colt, manufactured in 1959, rebuilt in 2009. I had it done to my specifications and it's everything I want in a 1911 and nothing more.

Kart National Match barrel w/polished feed ramp
Greider Precision adjustable trigger
Trigger job
lowered and flared ejection port
beavertail with memory groove
Commander style hammer
flat mainspring housing
Wilson Combat three dot dights
extended slide stop and thumb safety
refinished in "House Black" by CCR refinishing
Esmerelda slender rosewood grips

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 11-15-2011, 06:02 AM   #13
Texas Ranger Fan!
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 16811 Times on 9743 Posts
Likes Given: 43865

Quote:
Originally Posted by rigjumpr View Post
please, please don't be "one of those" guns are to be shot and shot often. if that is your plan for your 1911 take a picture of one hang it on the wall.
rig, this is exactly how i feel about my firearms. i don't abuse them, but i don't baby them either. guns are meant to be shot and enjoyed. if you're just going to take it out and look at it from time to time, then a person would be better off collecting stamps, coins or trading cards!

Old 11-15-2011, 03:35 PM   #14

Liked 35 Times on 29 Posts

If you're just gonna look at it, then you need one like I saw them build on Guns America, on Discovery Channel, last night. Stainless Steel, hand fitted, hand engraved slide, mother of pearl grips, silver coated & with $12K worth of diamonds on the grips & front/rear sights!

Old 11-15-2011, 04:13 PM   #15

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordan89
Springfield 1911 TRP. My dream 1911. Maybe you would like it.
I like the sound of that.

Old 11-15-2011, 04:26 PM   #16

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

You need to decide what is perfect for you. IMO, I don't need or want a bunch fancy gadgets, engravings, or expensive stuff on it to perfect, perfection to me reliable, dependable, accurate, and fits what I wanna use it for. Colt and SA have several pistols that fit these things for me and I still have some money in my pocket. I buy my guns and they better last and function well, because my life depends on them(I'm a LEO).

If you not gonna shoot it that much much, why buy it.

Old 11-15-2011, 06:32 PM   #17
ET1

This is my perfect 1911. Why is it perfect? Because it is mine. The next 1911 I buy will be perfect as well...

Springfield Range Officer with Pachmayr "American Legend" grips & Wilson Combat "ETM" Mags.

Old 11-15-2011, 07:26 PM   #18
Texas Ranger Fan!
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

IMO, most of the pistols mentioned are more accurate than the person pulling the trigger. i like accurate pistols, i like trying to get more accurate with my pistols, and this means shooting them. IMO, the OP is looking for a gun to pull out of the safe and use to brag about to his friends, not to shoot. if all he is looking for is an investment type firearm, buy a limited edition commemorative or something along those lines.

Old 11-15-2011, 08:00 PM   #19

Liked 983 Times on 633 Posts
Likes Given: 244

The perfect 1911 is like the perfect woman. It's all in the eyes of the beshooter.

"It is better to be too skeptical then too credulous"

Carl Sagan

Old 11-15-2011, 08:31 PM   #20
Texas Ranger Fan!
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainfire View Post
The perfect 1911 is like the perfect woman. It's all in the eyes of the beshooter.
well said chainfire! i have the perfect woman and the perfect 1911's!