Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > The perfect 1911!?!?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-14-2011, 04:42 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Default The perfect 1911!?!?

I have pondered a long time on the perfect 1911 for myself. I hope to pick out the perfect one, one day. This will not be my primary carry piece. It'll mostly be a keep sake. Ya know, pretty gun, in a pretty case, in its on safe, put up some where. The kind that you only get out to clean it and admire it 2-3 times per year, maybe take it out and shoot it once a year kind of gun. Yet, I want a few bells and whistles. I'm not talking about going all out with gold trimmings and pearl grips, but I ain't talking about a plain jane blued steel either. I'd like to get some of your opinions of what you'd pick out for yourself. Pictures would always be a plus. I know your opinion and mine will be different, but I want to see what exactly is out there. I want to know the aftermarket/custom internal goodies that make it function better. I want to know what helps that an untrained eye may not pick up. Which brand would you recomend, and why? I like tradition in some areas and this happens to be one of those areas. For that reason, I would like to go with Colt. However I am not totally against any other. If Kimber, or someone else, is better and offers more what I want, then I'll go with someone else. I just know that there are so many options out there for 1911's.
Also, I was wondering if S&W is the only manufacturer that offers a rounded main spring housing. My hand fits a little low at the bottom of a 1911 grip, and the S&W "Ë"series feels much better on my hand.
Let the dream come out!

THANK YOU!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-14-2011, 05:19 AM   #2

Liked 72 Times on 46 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DodgeThis
I have pondered a long time on the perfect 1911 for myself. I hope to pick out the perfect one, one day. This will not be my primary carry piece. It'll mostly be a keep sake. Ya know, pretty gun, in a pretty case, in its on safe, put up some where. The kind that you only get out to clean it and admire it 2-3 times per year, maybe take it out and shoot it once a year kind of gun. Yet, I want a few bells and whistles. I'm not talking about going all out with gold trimmings and pearl grips, but I ain't talking about a plain jane blued steel either. I'd like to get some of your opinions of what you'd pick out for yourself. Pictures would always be a plus. I know your opinion and mine will be different, but I want to see what exactly is out there. I want to know the aftermarket/custom internal goodies that make it function better. I want to know what helps that an untrained eye may not pick up. Which brand would you recomend, and why? I like tradition in some areas and this happens to be one of those areas. For that reason, I would like to go with Colt. However I am not totally against any other. If Kimber, or someone else, is better and offers more what I want, then I'll go with someone else. I just know that there are so many options out there for 1911's.
Also, I was wondering if S&W is the only manufacturer that offers a rounded main spring housing. My hand fits a little low at the bottom of a 1911 grip, and the S&W "Ë"series feels much better on my hand.
Let the dream come out!

THANK YOU!
Get a custom like wilson, nighthawk, ed brown and such. I have a wilson combat cqb. I love it! I will have already placed orders for more

Signing out, Alpha1victor.

Old 11-14-2011, 06:36 AM   #3
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 19563 Times on 11103 Posts
Likes Given: 49220

i hate to sound blunt, but from what you state, does it really matter how well it functions, if you're only going look at it 2-3 times a year, or shoot 1-2 times a year? she's going to be a safe queen! most people spend big money on custom 1911's because they are looking for perfection in function and accuracy in their 1911's, not to sit in a safe and to admired. none of my guns in my collection are safe queens, from the $100 22 rifle to the $5000 custom rifle. they all get shot and used. they are just tools, and tools are meant to be used. from what you state, maybe some type of commemorative pistol would suit you better, because it sounds like this pistol is more of an investment than a pistol to be used for what it's intended. just saying.

Old 11-14-2011, 06:36 AM   #4

Liked 69 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 37

Springfield 1911 TRP. My dream 1911. Maybe you would like it.

Everybody needs a little Devastation!

Old 11-14-2011, 07:22 AM   #5
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 19563 Times on 11103 Posts
Likes Given: 49220

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordan89 View Post
Springfield 1911 TRP. My dream 1911. Maybe you would like it.
nice pistol, but would you keep it in a safe and only look at it, maybe shoot it once a year? or like me, take it out and shoot a couple hundred rounds a month? i don't like safe queens! price of my firearms, doesn't equate to how much they get looked at or shot, my mood does! depends on what i'm in a mood to shoot.

Old 11-14-2011, 09:14 AM   #6
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2614 Times on 1522 Posts
Likes Given: 1163

I have a few 1911a1's in different configurations.

Some come close to the "Perfect" one, but my hunt still continues.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT

Old 11-14-2011, 10:17 AM   #7

Default There is no such thing, as a "perfect" 1911...

As for a perfect .45acp, semi-automatic pistol, there are several, of which the Glock 21SF, with LWD tungsten guide rod/captured recoil spring, Trijicon tritium night sights, Arredondo 17+ magazine extension, and Gemtech .45acp Blackside suppressor w/LID device is but one...

Have a nice day!

glockcurmudgeon, out...

"You can kill a free man, you can't enslave him." -Robert Anson Heinlein- American Patriot

Shot placement is king, yes. But penetration is queen, and a wide wound channel is the ace in the hole. -Cuda66

Μολὼν λαβέ (Molōn labe!)

Old 11-14-2011, 04:42 PM   #8

Liked 69 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55

nice pistol, but would you keep it in a safe and only look at it, maybe shoot it once a year? or like me, take it out and shoot a couple hundred rounds a month? i don't like safe queens! price of my firearms, doesn't equate to how much they get looked at or shot, my mood does! depends on what i'm in a mood to shoot.
I would shoot that beast at least every couple weeks. And it would be on my hip every minute im home.

Everybody needs a little Devastation!

Old 11-14-2011, 05:14 PM   #9

Liked 35 Times on 29 Posts

One of the great things about the 1911 platform is that there are so many options & modifications available for it, from a number of different sources. A person can make their pistol a 'one-of-a-kind' pistol, if they like.

You can drive yourself crazy by trying to find THE perfect pistol sitting on someones shelf. I'd suggest you do your research in regard to manufacturer's rep for quality, customer service, etc. and buy a entry level or mid level pistol. Then shoot it a bunch! Find out what mods you want/need on it as you use it. When you are certain of what changes you want to make, you can send it somewhere to have them all done at one time or can learn to do some of them yourself & make them as you decide what you want, then send it out for the other mods.

P.S. Wilson offers a rounded main spring housing which requires minimal alteration of the grip. Also, speaking of Colt, I know a guy that looks for used Colts, even if worn out but at a cheap price & sends them to Wilson for a "reliability" check/repair & has them refinished, etc. then ends up with a like new, reliable pistol with the mods he wants, at about the same as buying new.

Last edited by gollygee; 11-14-2011 at 05:30 PM.

Old 11-15-2011, 01:23 AM   #10

Liked 26 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by gollygee View Post
P.S. Wilson offers a rounded main spring housing which requires minimal alteration of the grip. Also, speaking of Colt, I know a guy that looks for used Colts, even if worn out but at a cheap price & sends them to Wilson for a "reliability" check/repair & has them refinished, etc. then ends up with a like new, reliable pistol with the mods he wants, at about the same as buying new.
Now that's pretty interesting.