You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum >

Passing the torch

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-12-2012, 04:27 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 62 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Default Passing the torch

Yesterday, I decided that since school starts Monday I would take two of my Grandsons to the range and introduce them to the world of center-fire autopistols. The youngest is 12 and has fired my Charter and Puma SAA .22 LR revolvers and my S&W M&P 15-22 black-rifle (I ain't going to war anymore and I don't hunt anymore either so .22LR is enough for me and cheap to shoot anyway). The older boy is 18 and has fired a Remington 30-06 rifle that his mother's new boyfriend told him he could have. Both of them have heard my gun safety speeches and have been drilled on firearm protocol with my guns in a confirmed and double-checked unloaded condition. So I had them load up a bunch of magazines, fill the range bag and pistol case with goodies and off we went.
I have three auto-loaders: a S&W Bodyguard .380 conceal-carry gun; a Glock G22C in .40 S&W; and a Rock Island Armory 1911A-1 that eats .45 ACP. At the Bullethole Range in Overland Park, Kansas I got the older boy his own membership (the young one already has a junior card) and shooting specs, got everybody into their ears, and we began with the little .380. Each boy shot a mag with the little gun with surprisingly good results for novices. Then we moved to the Glock and that got their attention, especially the "bunny-ears" of flame that the compensator slots emit. After a full mag of that each, I got out the 1911 and indicated for them to have at it. The older boy went first, gingerly expecting a fist-full of recoil fury! At the end of his 8 rounds, he turned and gave me the biggest grin I've seen since Christmas. Then his little brother stepped up to the line, hefted the RIA, slapped in a magazine and proceeded to blow seven big holes in his zombie target (one flyer but still on the paper). He also nearly broke his face grinning! I was a happy Grandpa!
That night we watched pre-season football and cleaned guns. Could any day have been better; I got to spend time with my Grandchildren, got to shoot and watch them shoot, passed on the love of firearms to a new generation and had help cleaning my pistols! Life is good!!!
People Like This 

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-12-2012, 05:05 AM   #2

Liked 5017 Times on 2431 Posts
Likes Given: 1601

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldEagleEars View Post
Yesterday, I decided that since school starts Monday I would take two of my Grandsons to the range and introduce them to the world of center-fire autopistols. The youngest is 12 and has fired my Charter and Puma SAA .22 LR revolvers and my S&W M&P 15-22 black-rifle (I ain't going to war anymore and I don't hunt anymore either so .22LR is enough for me and cheap to shoot anyway). The older boy is 18 and has fired a Remington 30-06 rifle that his mother's new boyfriend told him he could have. Both of them have heard my gun safety speeches and have been drilled on firearm protocol with my guns in a confirmed and double-checked unloaded condition. So I had them load up a bunch of magazines, fill the range bag and pistol case with goodies and off we went.
I have three auto-loaders: a S&W Bodyguard .380 conceal-carry gun; a Glock G22C in .40 S&W; and a Rock Island Armory 1911A-1 that eats .45 ACP. At the Bullethole Range in Overland Park, Kansas I got the older boy his own membership (the young one already has a junior card) and shooting specs, got everybody into their ears, and we began with the little .380. Each boy shot a mag with the little gun with surprisingly good results for novices. Then we moved to the Glock and that got their attention, especially the "bunny-ears" of flame that the compensator slots emit. After a full mag of that each, I got out the 1911 and indicated for them to have at it. The older boy went first, gingerly expecting a fist-full of recoil fury! At the end of his 8 rounds, he turned and gave me the biggest grin I've seen since Christmas. Then his little brother stepped up to the line, hefted the RIA, slapped in a magazine and proceeded to blow seven big holes in his zombie target (one flyer but still on the paper). He also nearly broke his face grinning! I was a happy Grandpa!
That night we watched pre-season football and cleaned guns. Could any day have been better; I got to spend time with my Grandchildren, got to shoot and watch them shoot, passed on the love of firearms to a new generation and had help cleaning my pistols! Life is good!!!
Sounds like a perfect day! And a well deserved one for a fellow former Eagle.

I get to take my 20 year old son and 16 year old daughter out on Wednesday and really looking forward to it...

Tack

Old 08-12-2012, 05:32 AM   #3

Liked 783 Times on 453 Posts
Likes Given: 499

Spending time with the grandkids and passing along a passion for shooting...sounds like a win-win.
"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 08-12-2012, 10:49 AM   #4
Administrator
FTF_ADMIN.png

Liked 14112 Times on 5965 Posts
Likes Given: 2343

You done good. Remember- grandchildren are your reward for not having killed their parents when they were teenagers!

Old 08-12-2012, 12:30 PM   #5
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 4574 Times on 2556 Posts
Likes Given: 2208

Great!
Grandkids are those that I wanted my children to be.

(I can spoil them and send them home sugar filled and spoiled when they get on my nerves)

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 08-13-2012, 11:59 PM   #6

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Sounds like a great day! Your truly blessed. Hope you continue to be blessed with days like that

Old 08-14-2012, 12:09 AM   #7

Liked 1971 Times on 1035 Posts
Likes Given: 4288

I LOVE hearing stories like this!!!

Thanks for sharing!

Old 08-14-2012, 12:09 AM   #8

Location: 2,000 miles Northwest of Bill's Laundromat, Bar & Grill, CA
Liked 540 Times on 381 Posts
Likes Given: 273

Sounds like a blast. Glad to see the shooting sports being passed down.

Old 08-20-2012, 04:51 AM   #9

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Default Grandkids

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldEagleEars View Post
I was fortunate enough to have a similar experiance with my 10 year old grandson. We went to the local range and fired alot of 22LR with a Ruger 22/45 and a SingleSix as well as a S&W M&P 15-22 I just purchased. He loved the rifle the best and is becoming a quite capable shot.
BTW, let him touch off a few rounds of 45ACP in a new Colt SS Combat Commander: he was impressed.
Got three(3) other grandsons I'm eager to bring along as they get older; never had so much fun.

NRA Benefactor Life
US Army 1972-1980
TSRA Life;GOA Life

Old 08-20-2012, 05:13 AM   #10
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 22401 Times on 12496 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

what's nice to hear is they are getting the proper experiance of firearms, and not the crap on tv, movies and video games. i am glad you had a good time and that you are passing the torch on to your grandchildren. very nice story.