Parts problems
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum >

Parts problems

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-14-2012, 02:48 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Parts problems

Does anybody have any suggestions on how to get a stuck pin in a hammer out or get out a stuck mag release screw? I've tried hammering the pin out from both sides and it just doesn't wanna come out. I'm trying to change hammers and just can't get that last pin out. And as far as the mag release screw I actually bent a screwdriver trying to get it to come out, I'm assuming it unscrews normally, counter clockwise. Any ideas???

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-14-2012, 02:54 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2921 Times on 1720 Posts

Welcome to FTF. First things first what gun are you working on?

Old 08-14-2012, 02:59 AM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 10779 Times on 4664 Posts
Likes Given: 1760

For pins- good penetrating oil, brass punch, be sure you are pushing it in the right direction.

On a 1911 the magazine release is not held by a screw, but by a spring loaded button. Yes, i know it has a screw slot, but it is not a screw. Push it IN against the spring, and it rotates about 25 degrees, release pressure, comes out. See how part 20 fits into part 19?

http://www.gunpartscorp.com/catalog/Products.aspx?catid=13010

Old 08-14-2012, 03:01 AM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Lol didn't even realize it was the 1911 forum. (palm forehead)

Old 08-14-2012, 04:32 AM   #5

Liked 781 Times on 452 Posts
Likes Given: 499

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonothdr View Post
Does anybody have any suggestions on how to get a stuck pin in a hammer out or get out a stuck mag release screw? I've tried hammering the pin out from both sides and it just doesn't wanna come out. I'm trying to change hammers and just can't get that last pin out. And as far as the mag release screw I actually bent a screwdriver trying to get it to come out, I'm assuming it unscrews normally, counter clockwise. Any ideas???
Hammer pin or hammer strut pin? Hammer pin comes out right side to left...after all other parts are removed. For the strut it's easier to remove hammer and strut assembly from frame then work on the strut pin...yes it can be a PIA to remove. Mag catch release...depress release fully, rotate screw 1/4 turn to left, button should come out.
"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 08-14-2012, 11:36 AM   #6
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3479 Times on 1995 Posts
Likes Given: 1529

Welcome to the FTF. Stop by "Introductions" area and say "Hi"

Now the hint:
Get a copy of Kuhnhausen's book on the 1911.
Knowing the 1911 and how things fit and work together will save you money.
Trial and error ends up in broken or non-fitting parts which have to be replaced.
(That is from personal experience)

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 08-14-2012, 02:44 PM   #7

Liked 22 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonothdr View Post
Welcome aboard, to remove the mag release you have to remove the magazine, push in the release in and out while turning the release screw counter clock wise until screw moves.

The hammer pin has a flared end that should be on the left side of the pistol, and it should have fallen out when turning the pistol on its left with just a light persuasion of the pin from the right side, the only way that I can think of the pin getting stuck is if you forced it with a punch in the wrong direction, you might have to whack it hard from the right side to free it, if the flared end is wedged in the hole.

shoot safe, shoot straight, and have fun

Old 08-14-2012, 02:50 PM   #8
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3586 Times on 1726 Posts
Likes Given: 1783

Mountainman,

Coming to your defense! With the title and not mentioning anything about the weapon I would have asked the same question, if I had not read on!
So do not palm your head too hard!
Great advice by JP and C3!

Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

-- John F. Kennedy

Old 08-14-2012, 02:53 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Lol thanks I appreciate it. I just jump around too much and am often doing more than one thing at a time.