Parts Boxes - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > Parts Boxes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-16-2011, 08:40 AM   #11
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2872 Times on 1659 Posts
Likes Given: 1236

Any part that rubs against another will wear.

Springs lose their resistance with use.

Some parts that are manipulated may break.

You may want to consider adding a mag release assembly to my list, also. That has parts that wear (mag catch), a spring inside, and a small part (spring retainer) that could break.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 02-16-2011, 09:25 AM   #12

Liked 22 Times on 7 Posts

I personally have never hard a part break on me but I feel better having spares on hand. If my extractor chips or breaks, I can have the gun running again in 5 minutes. Critical spares to me are those parts that when broken take the gun out of service.

Fred, I think you know this but be sure to buy all the internals for the new MSH as the parts Springer uses in the ILS system are proprietary...

Old 02-16-2011, 03:56 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by danf_fl View Post
When you reduce the weight of one spring in the setup, are you aware of the result?

The hammer spring is used with the recoil spring to reduce the force the slide has going to the rear. Also, a lighter hammer spring could induce lighter hits on the primer.
Springfield uses a heavier than normal hammer spring, 28# versus the normal 23#. From what I've read, the reason they do this is because of the light firing pin/heavy firing pin spring combo they use in place of a firing pin block. When I replace the hammer spring, I'm going to order a normal weight firing pin spring along with it, and it the light hammer spring starts giving me light primer strikes, I'll switch out the firing pin spring as well.

Being as this is not going to be a carry weapon, and I don't plan on dropping it, I'm not too concerned with keeping the heavier firing pin spring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGIB View Post
I personally have never hard a part break on me but I feel better having spares on hand. If my extractor chips or breaks, I can have the gun running again in 5 minutes. Critical spares to me are those parts that when broken take the gun out of service.

Fred, I think you know this but be sure to buy all the internals for the new MSH as the parts Springer uses in the ILS system are proprietary...
Yep. When I order the new MSH, I'm gonna get the mainspring rebuild it from Brownells that has the 3 parts that need to be replaced. I'm not positive, but I think its the mainspring cap and cap pin, but someone said it's a good idea to go ahead and replace the msh retainer pin too.

Is that all that's needs to be replaced?

-Fred

"Breathe when you can, shoot when you should."
-Rob Leatham

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"Qui desiderat pacem, bellum praeparat; nemo provocare ne offendere audet quem intelliget superiorem esse pugnaturem"

Old 02-16-2011, 04:14 PM   #14

Liked 22 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCross7 View Post
Yep. When I order the new MSH, I'm gonna get the mainspring rebuild it from Brownells that has the 3 parts that need to be replaced. I'm not positive, but I think its the mainspring cap and cap pin, but someone said it's a good idea to go ahead and replace the msh retainer pin too.

Is that all that's needs to be replaced?

-Fred
I call them the plunger (bottom of the spring), cap (top of the spring). the spring itself, and yes you'll need the little retainer pin as Springer does not use one on their ILS housings. Their spring is not captive which is why you have to cock the hammer, insert a pin (I use a small nail), and then drop the hammer to remove one...

Old 02-16-2011, 09:04 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGIB View Post
I call them the plunger (bottom of the spring), cap (top of the spring). the spring itself, and yes you'll need the little retainer pin as Springer does not use one on their ILS housings. Their spring is not captive which is why you have to cock the hammer, insert a pin (I use a small nail), and then drop the hammer to remove one...
I'm pretty sure we're thinking of the same thing. This is the kit I'm planning on ordering.

-Fred

"Breathe when you can, shoot when you should."
-Rob Leatham

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"Qui desiderat pacem, bellum praeparat; nemo provocare ne offendere audet quem intelliget superiorem esse pugnaturem"

Old 02-16-2011, 10:05 PM   #16
Doc

Been my experence with MIM parts, the ejector is always the first to go.