Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > Para Ordnance P16-40 1911 40 S&W

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-01-2011, 08:41 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default Para Ordnance P16-40 1911 40 S&W

Well, I finally bought a 1911, only I decided to get one in 40 S&W. I love the classic 1911 look, but wanted one that I could use while taking advantage of my current ammo supply.

So, I took it out to an indoor range and put 250 rounds through it. I had two stovepipes. The pistol (or I) tends to shoot to the left a bit, and also a bit high. I'm not sure if I need to have the sights adjusted, but the gunsmith I asked about it said that they looked ok.

On my second trip out with my Para Ordnance P16-40 I put about 150 rounds through it. It (or I) still seems to shoot to the left and high.

I didn't have any stovepipes this time, but had about five occurrences where the slide came back without chambering a round. It stayed back as though the mag were empty. What would cause this?

Thanks!

photo.jpg   p1020591.jpg   photo-4-.jpg   photo-3-.jpg  

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-01-2011, 11:11 PM   #2

Liked 762 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 456

Quote:
but had about five occurrences where the slide came back without chambering a round. It stayed back as though the mag were empty. What would cause this?
Nice gun...

Regarding the slide lock, you may be holding your thumb up on the release button and activating the lock...another possible cause is rare but some makers use 9mm frames for both 9mm and .40S&W calibers, the rounds are close in size but every now and then a round in the mag will engage the slide lock by pushing up on it due to a tight fit...

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 05-01-2011, 11:23 PM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5101 Times on 2651 Posts
Likes Given: 309

prolly pushing the trigger with your trigger finger slightly up and right. having a buddy load your mag for you and inserting a snap cap somewhere in the middle will give you real feed back to what your doing.

its common for folks to thumb the slide stop on a lot of autoloaders accidentlly locking the slide back. its caused often by a weak grip. the snappy torque of the 40sw and 9mm really accentuate this in the 1911 frame.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 05-02-2011, 01:26 AM   #4

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

You're probably right about me unintentionally activating the slide lock lever with my thumb. I'm new to the 1911 platform. Thanks.

IIRC, It occurred with both mags. I sure could use some pointers on grip. Thanks for the tip about pushing the trigger with my trigger finger slightly up and right.

Last edited by ARnoob; 05-02-2011 at 01:29 AM.

Old 05-02-2011, 01:38 AM   #5

Liked 762 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 456

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARnoob View Post
You're probably right about me unintentionally activating the slide lock lever with my thumb. I'm new to the 1911 platform. Thanks.

IIRC, It occurred with both mags. I sure could use some pointers on grip. Thanks for the tip about pushing the trigger with my trigger finger slightly up and right.
Hard to tell exactly how your gripping but from the pic it looks ok. Just remember a couple things, thumbs are parallel to each other and neutral, they should not exert any pressure on the gun. Trigger should be squeezed straight back by pad of finger, do not anticipate shot or recoil (flinching) This is what Jon was referring to...look at his chart, high and left is due to anticipating recoil. As he suggests, have a friend load a mag and slip in a snap cap...see what happens when you have anticipated a recoil that never happens, you moved the gun when you pulled the trigger.

If you have a laser bore sighter or a laser sight practice dry firing using the chart above as a target...watch the dot, it should not move off of POA...if it does it shows you what you need to work on.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 05-02-2011, 01:29 PM   #6

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpyle View Post
Hard to tell exactly how your gripping but from the pic it looks ok. Just remember a couple things, thumbs are parallel to each other and neutral, they should not exert any pressure on the gun. Trigger should be squeezed straight back by pad of finger, do not anticipate shot or recoil (flinching) This is what Jon was referring to...look at his chart, high and left is due to anticipating recoil. As he suggests, have a friend load a mag and slip in a snap cap...see what happens when you have anticipated a recoil that never happens, you moved the gun when you pulled the trigger.

If you have a laser bore sighter or a laser sight practice dry firing using the chart above as a target...watch the dot, it should not move off of POA...if it does it shows you what you need to work on.
Great tips. I try to keep my thumbs parallel. That chart is helpful as well. When my brother shot the pistol he was a lot more accurate, so it's gotta be me for the most part, not the handgun.

Thanks guys!

Old 05-02-2011, 02:19 PM   #7

Liked 81 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Nice choice. I happen to prefer a double stack also. Would never part with my P-14 and prefered carry gun.

Jim........

Visit me on FaceBook at Alvord Limited Custom Gunsmithing.

Old 05-02-2011, 05:25 PM   #8

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by masterPsmith View Post
Nice choice. I happen to prefer a double stack also. Would never part with my P-14 and prefered carry gun.

Jim........
Thanks!

Old 05-02-2011, 05:53 PM   #9

Love your gun.How much was it.Cause I have always loved the .40S&W.

Old 05-02-2011, 06:22 PM   #10

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayguy View Post
Love your gun.How much was it.Cause I have always loved the .40S&W.
Thank you. It was $625 on Gun Broker. Bud's Guns has them at good prices.

Here are two on GB (little more expensive though).

Para Ordnance P16-40 40 Cal. : Semi-auto at GunBroker.com

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=227573548

Last edited by ARnoob; 05-02-2011 at 06:31 PM.