Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   1911 Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f57/)
-   -   Para Ordnance P16-40 1911 40 S&W (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f57/para-ordnance-p16-40-1911-40-s-w-41980/)

ARnoob 05-01-2011 08:41 PM

Para Ordnance P16-40 1911 40 S&W
 
4 Attachment(s)
Well, I finally bought a 1911, only I decided to get one in 40 S&W. I love the classic 1911 look, but wanted one that I could use while taking advantage of my current ammo supply.

So, I took it out to an indoor range and put 250 rounds through it. I had two stovepipes. The pistol (or I) tends to shoot to the left a bit, and also a bit high. I'm not sure if I need to have the sights adjusted, but the gunsmith I asked about it said that they looked ok.

On my second trip out with my Para Ordnance P16-40 I put about 150 rounds through it. It (or I) still seems to shoot to the left and high.

I didn't have any stovepipes this time, but had about five occurrences where the slide came back without chambering a round. It stayed back as though the mag were empty. What would cause this?

Thanks!

Jpyle 05-01-2011 11:11 PM

Quote:

but had about five occurrences where the slide came back without chambering a round. It stayed back as though the mag were empty. What would cause this?

Nice gun...

Regarding the slide lock, you may be holding your thumb up on the release button and activating the lock...another possible cause is rare but some makers use 9mm frames for both 9mm and .40S&W calibers, the rounds are close in size but every now and then a round in the mag will engage the slide lock by pushing up on it due to a tight fit...

JonM 05-01-2011 11:23 PM

http://www.lasc.us/correction_chart_logo_small.gif.jpg

prolly pushing the trigger with your trigger finger slightly up and right. having a buddy load your mag for you and inserting a snap cap somewhere in the middle will give you real feed back to what your doing.

its common for folks to thumb the slide stop on a lot of autoloaders accidentlly locking the slide back. its caused often by a weak grip. the snappy torque of the 40sw and 9mm really accentuate this in the 1911 frame.

ARnoob 05-02-2011 01:26 AM

You're probably right about me unintentionally activating the slide lock lever with my thumb. I'm new to the 1911 platform. Thanks.

IIRC, It occurred with both mags. I sure could use some pointers on grip. Thanks for the tip about pushing the trigger with my trigger finger slightly up and right.

Jpyle 05-02-2011 01:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ARnoob (Post 496716)
You're probably right about me unintentionally activating the slide lock lever with my thumb. I'm new to the 1911 platform. Thanks.

IIRC, It occurred with both mags. I sure could use some pointers on grip. Thanks for the tip about pushing the trigger with my trigger finger slightly up and right.

Hard to tell exactly how your gripping but from the pic it looks ok. Just remember a couple things, thumbs are parallel to each other and neutral, they should not exert any pressure on the gun. Trigger should be squeezed straight back by pad of finger, do not anticipate shot or recoil (flinching) This is what Jon was referring to...look at his chart, high and left is due to anticipating recoil. As he suggests, have a friend load a mag and slip in a snap cap...see what happens when you have anticipated a recoil that never happens, you moved the gun when you pulled the trigger.

If you have a laser bore sighter or a laser sight practice dry firing using the chart above as a target...watch the dot, it should not move off of POA...if it does it shows you what you need to work on.

ARnoob 05-02-2011 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jpyle (Post 496720)
Hard to tell exactly how your gripping but from the pic it looks ok. Just remember a couple things, thumbs are parallel to each other and neutral, they should not exert any pressure on the gun. Trigger should be squeezed straight back by pad of finger, do not anticipate shot or recoil (flinching) This is what Jon was referring to...look at his chart, high and left is due to anticipating recoil. As he suggests, have a friend load a mag and slip in a snap cap...see what happens when you have anticipated a recoil that never happens, you moved the gun when you pulled the trigger.

If you have a laser bore sighter or a laser sight practice dry firing using the chart above as a target...watch the dot, it should not move off of POA...if it does it shows you what you need to work on.

Great tips. I try to keep my thumbs parallel. That chart is helpful as well. When my brother shot the pistol he was a lot more accurate, so it's gotta be me for the most part, not the handgun.

Thanks guys!

masterPsmith 05-02-2011 02:19 PM

Nice choice. I happen to prefer a double stack also. Would never part with my P-14 and prefered carry gun.


Jim........

ARnoob 05-02-2011 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by masterPsmith (Post 497053)
Nice choice. I happen to prefer a double stack also. Would never part with my P-14 and prefered carry gun.


Jim........

Thanks! :)

jayguy 05-02-2011 05:53 PM

Love your gun.How much was it.Cause I have always loved the .40S&W.

ARnoob 05-02-2011 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jayguy (Post 497152)
Love your gun.How much was it.Cause I have always loved the .40S&W.

Thank you. It was $625 on Gun Broker. Bud's Guns has them at good prices.

Here are two on GB (little more expensive though).

Para Ordnance P16-40 40 Cal. : Semi-auto at GunBroker.com

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=227573548


All times are GMT. The time now is 04:04 AM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.