Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   1911 Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f57/)
-   -   Para Ord. or...? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f57/para-ord-73224/)

drvsafe 09-26-2012 07:31 PM

Para Ord. or...?

I have been looking for a 1911 for a few months, my issues are: price and comfort and I prefer US made. $700 is about the top of my budget and I am a lefty, so I want at the very least an ambidextrous thumb safety. Anything of quality that has one is usually well above my budget.

I am looking at a Para 1911, it looks like an SSP but has a few upgrades over it. Seems like it hits all of my bullet points, but I am not familiar enough with the brand. I have seen a few You Tube reviews, all on the GI Expert (which I believe the SSP is superior to), most of them good, some mixed; the negative ones are complaining about the reassembly after stripping it. It seems that there is an issue getting the slide back on completely. And along with that one You Tube poster stated it took 6 WEEKS to get his pistol back from Para after replacing a $5 part and blamed him for the defect, when in fact the guy NEVER even fired the pistol. Also, I hear of some feeding issues, but I have to chalk that up to cheap magazines that they ship it with and cheap ammo.

I need some input, as I am ready for this purchase, and I put value to FTF member's opinions.

Nate

danf_fl 09-26-2012 08:49 PM

Just a question.
Have you wondered why Para-Ordnance is not talked about much here?

There must be a reason. (And, yes, I have one)

tacticalfun 09-26-2012 08:51 PM

Para usa. makes some nice stuff. I plan on buying one soon. A gi expert to be exact.

Olympus 09-26-2012 09:08 PM

It wouldn't be my first choice. Your budget is a little low for an American-made 1911. Might find a Ruger for that price, maybe. But at $700 you're right at the upper end of the "budget" class 1911s, most of which are made in the Philippines.

tacticalfun 09-26-2012 09:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Olympus
It wouldn't be my first choice. Your budget is a little low for an American-made 1911. Might find a Ruger for that price, maybe. But at $700 you're right at the upper end of the "budget" class 1911s, most of which are made in the Philippines.

Para is made in usa.

drvsafe 09-26-2012 09:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by danf_fl
Just a question.
Have you wondered why Para-Ordnance is not talked about much here?

There must be a reason. (And, yes, I have one)

I just assume that info IS on here but I'm not finding it. Is there a reason why?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Olympus

My initial posture was to just hold off until I can afford what I want as I don't want a Filipino 1911. Not that there is anything wrong with them, I know for a fact there are quite. Few good ones, I just want something American made. Then my FFL suggested Para and I started looking into them. So I've got to get some feedback from the FTF.

danf_fl 09-27-2012 12:14 AM

There seems to be some sort of stigma against Para's.
They have had a bad reputation in the past, but things seem to be improving.
I do not know why they are not more popular with the members of this forum, but, like a car,
if there are not too many on the road, then maybe the word got out about them and I was not in the know.

There must be a reason that RIA, Springfield, Colt, Dan Wesson, and even STI are mentioned more than Para USA.

semipacifist 09-27-2012 03:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by danf_fl (Post 955822)
There seems to be some sort of stigma against Para's.
They have had a bad reputation in the past, but things seem to be improving.

There must be a reason that RIA, Springfield, Colt, Dan Wesson, and even STI are mentioned more than Para USA.

+1

I bought the GI Expert last year. I went through headaches despite never using anything other than ball ammo. It's been mostly good since I got it back from warranty service.

I like Para's aesthetically but dislike the company. Many have been blue in the face with theirs. One fellow spent over $1000 on a double-stack and they had to replace the frame. This was recently.

When I wrote something critical about Para's elsewhere, a poster sent me a nasty PM.

To Para's credit, they seem to be making bonafide efforts to boost quality and c.s. When I sent mine back, customers were responsible for shipping as per their policy but they picked up the shipping charges on mine anyway.

Olympus 09-27-2012 01:18 PM

Their reputation has some blemishes and its too easy to recommend many other makers who don't have that problem.

In my mind, there are just too many other choices to go with Para. And good luck trying to recoup your money if you need to resell. In my area, you practically can't give a Para away.

drvsafe 09-27-2012 01:23 PM

My problem is that I want an ambi thumb safety and not too many models have them. I can find an RIA with it but I really prefer an American 1911 and I'd like to stay at around $700 and change max.

Can I buy a kimber custom II and add an ambi safety to it later?