Para odinance p14 45

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > Para odinance p14 45

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-24-2010, 04:40 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Para odinance p14 45

I have the double stack p14 45 andwas curious if changing the factory guid erod would be benefical to me? I have not done any mods to any firearm I have owned but this para is the first one I have had that i have really liked and wouldnt get rid of. Any modification suggestions welcome.

Thank You

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-24-2010, 05:01 AM   #2

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

If it's not acting up I see n o reason to change it. You will hear the two camps pounding the drum for and against the shorter guide rods. I have both and I have not seen any real difference. Other than the two piece rods needing a tool to take down a weapon that was designed to be taken down without tools.

I have not owned the P14 but do have a P16 and LTC. The P16 has the short rod and the LTC has a full length rod. The LTC can be a little tricky with it's one piece full length rod. The P16 is a tack driver as it is so I never seen a need to change it.

If you think about it there is not a lot of room for that spring to go anywhere under the slide. One might see signs of wear a little faster with the short guide rods being you do get a little more movement but honestly I can't see enough of a reason to change to anything that is not in the weapon as it is. I do however tend to use 18-20# springs in my 45's. Does it help? I do seem to see some difference in some lower end 1911's with the lock up and the heavier springs.

Bottom line if your pistol is working fine as is I don't think you will see any real difference with a full length guide rod. THey are not a real expensive mod though. Try it and see what you think.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

Old 10-29-2010, 12:38 PM   #3

My P14 was a "Limited" model and came with a full length rod. It was quite accurate but I don't believe the guide rod enhanced the accuracy. If anything, it added more weight forward and perhaps more spring life.

That said, I have grown to prefer the lighter weight and easier takedown of the short guide.