To PARA or not to PARA ??? - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > To PARA or not to PARA ???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-01-2010, 04:22 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
Para WAS a Canadian company. They are moving their ops to NC as we speak. Just got a Para LDA, very impressed by workmanship.
I was wondering if they were moving it all or not. Thanks for clearing that up.

+1 on the LDA's My friend has the Companion and the TAC Four. Both are really nice weapons but I find the double stack mag on the TAC Four a little wide for my liking. But it does do a lot to dispel the mag capacity thing with 45's..heh. I really didn't think I'd like them at first but I especially liked the Companion. A 3" 1911'Like weapon that is really accurate and the recoil is less than my LTC (alloy frame) Para.

Old 05-01-2010, 04:25 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gloves View Post
I just got done watching some stress-testing YouTube videos for the
PARA GI Expert. It boosts my confidence for the GI Expert.

YouTube - The 1000 Rounds Challenge - Part 2
YouTube - The 1000 Rounds Challenge - Part 3

My friend has turned me onto yet another manufacture; Auto-Ordinance.

It seems every day I find a new brand of 1911. Will it ever end? I'm just trying
to find the right gun for me at the right cost. What do you guys think about
this brand?

I don't know about the Auto Ord 1911's. I've not owned one. Seen a few and they did seem OK.Those Para vids are wild aren't they? That weapon was getting pretty damn hot! I tell you what I like about the Para pistols most and that's the ramped barrel. The GI Expert does not have one but it's supposed to be a good one anyway.

Old 05-01-2010, 09:40 AM   #13

Liked 26 Times on 7 Posts

The gun in the videos was a Para SSP not a GI Expert. The Auto Ordnance had bad quality control, may be better now that they're owned by Kahr. Remember, with guns as with anything else - you get what you pay for...

Old 05-01-2010, 10:12 AM   #14

Yeah - Those vids come out a couple years before the GI Expert was made. I think it lends itself more to Para's workmanship. Well..maybe more to do with the way Para's are designed to feed. Many of their weapons are made wit the ramped barrels rather than having the feed ramp on the frame. AS stated the GI Expert is not one of those weapons but if the thing is built with the same ideals to craftsmanship them it might be a pretty good weapon to own. I will agree though especially with 1911's quality can fluctuate in price as the attention to quality goes up. The major plus with the 1911's is the idea that you can work them up from where they are to where you might want them later. Parts can be replaced. Others can be fit a little better with some careful work by someone that knows what they are doing. So in a way the entry level 1911 can grow with the shooter. But even doing things like that you will want to start with something pretty good to begin with. So one will want to look for a pretty good slide to frame fit.

Old 05-01-2010, 02:17 PM   #15

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

As an owner of a Para GI Expert, I am very happy with it. I looked at several other 1911's but I wanted a very basic no bells and whistles model as my first 1911. The Para fit the bill and I have yet to hear any bad reviews on it. Plus the price was right, got mine for $465.27 + tax. The only thing I have done besides shoot and clean it is change the grips. The factory panels are hard plastic and I found them uncomfortable. I put some Pachmayr American Legend grips on it.

Old 05-01-2010, 02:46 PM   #16

Liked 152 Times on 88 Posts
Likes Given: 264

i was looking at this para.....

on gunbroker

it looks real nice to me.

but i held out not knowing a lot on Para but mostly because of the no seller feedback.

Old 05-01-2010, 02:58 PM   #17

Liked 1127 Times on 542 Posts
Likes Given: 1249

Wonder what would happen if you tried that with a glock LMAO

Old 05-01-2010, 07:40 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by russ View Post
As an owner of a Para GI Expert, I am very happy with it. I looked at several other 1911's but I wanted a very basic no bells and whistles model as my first 1911. The Para fit the bill and I have yet to hear any bad reviews on it. Plus the price was right, got mine for $465.27 + tax. The only thing I have done besides shoot and clean it is change the grips. The factory panels are hard plastic and I found them uncomfortable. I put some Pachmayr American Legend grips on it.
Congrats on your new friend. I'm more a fan of wood grips myself. he grips you used are pretty comfortable truth be told.

Old 05-02-2010, 12:09 AM   #19

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumJunkie View Post
Congrats on your new friend. I'm more a fan of wood grips myself. he grips you used are pretty comfortable truth be told.
Thanks. However my friend is not so new. I have probably 5-600 rounds through it now and am still quite happy with it. The only issues I've had were ammo caused (Wolf steel cased) and no fault of the gun.

Old 05-04-2010, 05:10 PM   #20

Nothing wrong with Paras... I have two, a P-14 Limited and a LDA Carry model. Both are different than the GI models but I would bet the GIs would be just as trouble free and accurate for what they're intended... a simple duty pistol.