Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > Over due range report

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-18-2013, 05:47 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 41 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 33

Default Over due range report

Little over a month ago I bought a couple 1911`s
A colt 1911 chambered in 9mm and a
Kimber ultra pro in .45

Sorry no pictures of targets, while they both hit targets well it was more"fun" shooting then anything.

The kimber was amazing, shots were accurate, trigger was/is a bit heavy, probably do a trigger job, it didn't feel smooth really, got better the more I fitted it but I expected better.

The only real negative I have about this gun, the sights they were black on black while I'm not as old as some my eye sight it's not the best with out glasses, it was tough to pick up the sights on the black target.

Overall loved the gun will change out sights and trigger, it has already replaced my S&W .40 as eod.

Now for the colt.....

It's a colt right! Sadly there was problems.
I was not raised around guns but feel the people who helped teach me did a good job, one said treat the gun"mean" don't be gentle basically.

Get the gun loaded for the GF as it's likely going to be her carry gun, anyways loaded up she shoots a few times, bam FTE, ok it happens fix it, next mag bam happens again. Again I fix it, well damage was done GF says she doesn't want it.

So I load the mags up again, rack it and it shoots great!! About 300 rounds though the gun and I love it more each round.

Other the the FTE I loved this gun, sights, trigger you name it, it was beautiful, come to find out the GF was a bit scared so she was lightly pulling the trigger which from what I know can't cause a FTE but I don't think she let go of the trigger one pulled, I wad told that that could cause the FTE either way, I roughed her up a bit and she did what was asked.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-18-2013, 06:30 PM   #2
Ain't she sweet?
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6743 Times on 4074 Posts
Likes Given: 8041

I wonder if your GF was limp wristing it a little bit.

I wanted to see TARGETS!!

Old 07-18-2013, 07:06 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1381 Times on 938 Posts
Likes Given: 474

Most women don't know that your off hand should be holding about 70% of the weight of the pistol. That way all your dominant hand has to do is pull the trigger.

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato

Old 07-18-2013, 09:22 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 137 Times on 88 Posts
Likes Given: 149

My wife loves my 1918 model 1911 and at 15 yards will not get out of the 9 ring on a B-27 target.

http://militarysignatures.com/signat...ember14888.png
Retired LE, M.P., Sr. M.P. Investigator, armorer, F.B.I. Trained Rangemaster/Firearms Instructor , Presently Forensic Document Examiner for D.H.S.

Old 07-26-2013, 05:03 PM   #5

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I've seen this happen quite a bit with women shooting 1911's. My buddy's GF even does this with his .40 S&W. Every time she tries to shoot it there's an FTE.

Old 07-27-2013, 12:49 AM   #6

Liked 2175 Times on 1468 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Deer View Post
Most women don't know that your off hand should be holding about 70% of the weight of the pistol. That way all your dominant hand has to do is pull the trigger.
That my friend is a bit of a --well--- overstatement
Bet it came from the internet

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

Old 07-27-2013, 01:21 AM   #7

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOSSFLY

That my friend is a bit of a --well--- overstatement
Bet it came from the internet
I must agree with hoss, I haven't ever heard of the off hand supporting the brunt of the weight, or any discernible amount to be honest... I would be open to knowing where this info comes from though, not saying you're completely off the mark, just maybe something is lost in translation...

Old 07-27-2013, 02:04 AM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3721 Times on 2281 Posts
Likes Given: 1224

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Deer
I wonder how that principle would work with a typical "thumbs forward" hold, such as I use when target shooting?

Always have clean socks.

Old 07-27-2013, 02:05 AM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3721 Times on 2281 Posts
Likes Given: 1224

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandpubba
Little over a month ago I bought a couple 1911`s
A colt 1911 chambered in 9mm and a
Kimber ultra pro in .45

Sorry no pictures of targets, while they both hit targets well it was more"fun" shooting then anything.

The kimber was amazing, shots were accurate, trigger was/is a bit heavy, probably do a trigger job, it didn't feel smooth really, got better the more I fitted it but I expected better.

The only real negative I have about this gun, the sights they were black on black while I'm not as old as some my eye sight it's not the best with out glasses, it was tough to pick up the sights on the black target.

Overall loved the gun will change out sights and trigger, it has already replaced my S&W .40 as eod.

Now for the colt.....

It's a colt right! Sadly there was problems.
I was not raised around guns but feel the people who helped teach me did a good job, one said treat the gun"mean" don't be gentle basically.

Get the gun loaded for the GF as it's likely going to be her carry gun, anyways loaded up she shoots a few times, bam FTE, ok it happens fix it, next mag bam happens again. Again I fix it, well damage was done GF says she doesn't want it.

So I load the mags up again, rack it and it shoots great!! About 300 rounds though the gun and I love it more each round.

Other the the FTE I loved this gun, sights, trigger you name it, it was beautiful, come to find out the GF was a bit scared so she was lightly pulling the trigger which from what I know can't cause a FTE but I don't think she let go of the trigger one pulled, I wad told that that could cause the FTE either way, I roughed her up a bit and she did what was asked.
Mr. Grandpubba, for crying to loud I need at least pictures of the guns!

No but really, my bet is also limp wristing on the GF's part.

Always have clean socks.