Osprey or Ti-Rant on my Nighthawk AAC (in 45 naturally)
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > Osprey or Ti-Rant on my Nighthawk AAC (in 45 naturally)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-10-2012, 08:32 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Osprey or Ti-Rant on my Nighthawk AAC (in 45 naturally)

Osprey or Ti-Rant on my Nighthawk AAC (minus the in my opinion cheesy aac billboards behind rear cocking serrations) with recon frame and ambi-safety

Osprey or Ti-Rant (in 45 naturally) deciding factors for me be'n:

Reliability in general and which ones Nelson do -hicky is more consistently reliable

Accuracy, P.O.I. shift at varying distance 5s 15s 25s 50s and dare I say beyond

Sound Suppression, from what I've found online it's kinda splittin hairs in sound comparison, please elaborate with personal experience wet/dry

Any info would be appreciated or won't frankly you'll never really know because theres no way to verify the sincerity of my gratitude

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-11-2012, 01:31 AM   #2

Liked 1419 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

I think you need to talk to JD.

He has a NH/Osprey rig.

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 07-11-2012, 02:36 AM   #3

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3478 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

And here I am.

I got one of the first NH AAC's that came out to the non connected public with every intent on getting the Ti-Rant from AAC to put on it.

Then I went to SHOT and talked to the people from SilencerCo. Those people are PASSIONATE about what they do and the Osprey is something that AAC started, but SilencerCo finished with simplicity and excellence.

Originally AAC was going to produce a lower than barrel axis, higher volume suppressor called The Black Box. You can google it. It was WELL reviewed and it was supposed to revolutionize the suppressor world on the pistol front.

The problem was AAC could not make one suppressor that would index properly on every threaded pistol. They never wanted to, or never wanted to pursue the fix, to release this fix and Silencerco basically just waited.

A couple of years ago they either bought, or acquired, the patent and came up with a really cool index matching ring with a throw lever that allows the suppressor can to spin on the ring. By doing this, the suppressor can be indexed to any pistol that is threaded on the production planet. It's a brilliant design, and fairly simple, but why AAC never pursued it is not known to me.

As for the Osprey itself, it has about 30% more volume below the barrel than any other round suppressor, including the Ti-Rant. If you get creative and fill the baffles with mineral oil, or vaseline as it turns out as an "industry secret" the suppressor makes the .45 caliber round quiet enough to shoot inside without hearing protection.

In the dry application, in a civilian environment, the Osprey makes my NH sound like a nail gun or similar device being fired a house or two away. It totally camouflages the natural sound of the weapon and has thus far attracted no attention from anyone who wasn't paying attention.

In a wet application, and while Vaseline is an industry secret, if you don't have a good solvent to clean it up with it is MESSY. There is definitely ballistic spatter of the round going through the baffles and taking some of the Vaseline with it, but it adds significantly to the dampening of the sound. I would say, maybe, an additional 20% of noise reduction - but I have no actual noise numbers to verify that figure.

Because of the construction of the Osprey, the index matching ring can be removed and the baffle can be placed entirely in my cleaning tank. The threads are removed completely so there is ZERO chance of damaging the fastening of the suppressor to the weapon. Bonus.

Should the can itself ever be damaged due to dropping, run over by a truck, whatever there is a very cool additional feature.

The baffles and the can, removed from the index ring, can be sent back without going through an FFL. The index matching ring is the only part that is FFL compliant, so the rest of the "suppressor body" is nothing more than a standard housing. While I highly doubt ever having to take advantage of this feature, it's nice to know I would never have to go through an FFL and pay the transfer fees.

I looked long and hard at both the Ti-Rant and the Osprey. After talking to both companies I decided on the Osprey and I have not been disappointed. Everyone that has shot it has said the same thing "I have got to get me one of these!"

Good luck in your search - Please keep us informed as to what you choose and how it works for you.

JD

Old 07-11-2012, 06:44 AM   #4

Outstanding!, I've posted this exact question on a number of forums (Thinking Scientific Method kinda approach) and this is probably the best info I've found, I remember eye effing the black box back before it fizzled out, and respect Silencerco even more for not letting such a great concept die, not to hijack my own thread (Can one hijack that which they already possess?...hmm) but do you have any experience with wire pulling gell as a sound dampening medium?

Old 07-11-2012, 03:12 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephanCTF View Post
Outstanding! but do you have any experience with wire pulling gell as a sound dampening medium?
Happy to be of help. The Osprey is only a couple of years old in production, so it might be a case of not too many people actually owning one to respond. There is a guy here who posts on Youtube, I think his name is Snoman45 or something like that, and he has several videos of him shooting his Osprey on an M&P I think. You might google his videos and see what you think.

Wire pulling gel? I am very familiar with it, I have just never used it for this application. I would assume you use the same type of stuff I have used in the past. Slimey, stains everything it touches and stinks, but comes off fairly easy with soap and warm water. Never thought about giving it a try to be honest.

JD

Old 07-11-2012, 11:32 PM   #6

Ya hear its the best for sound dampening and whatnot, what all the elite high-speed delta / seal teams useˋ﹏ˊ•﹏•¯︶¯

Old 07-12-2012, 01:40 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephanCTF View Post
Ya hear its the best for sound dampening and whatnot, what all the elite high-speed delta / seal teams useˋ﹏ˊ•﹏•¯︶¯
Do you KNOW any Delta Operators? Or true, DD214 holding SeALs?

Because this would be the first anyone has brought forth on this forum that I know of, of using any sort of synthetic lube as as sound dampening device in a suppressor.

I have read a ton of reports that involved members of these types of teams having their springs and slides lightened to the point if mad science. I have read of specialized reloading sessions where an entire reloading bench was set up in shooting center at Fort Bragg to download ammo specifically until it was as silent as possible and still cycle the weapon.

I think you might have been fed some information that may, or may not, have been inflated for interwebz consumption.

JD

Old 07-12-2012, 09:49 AM   #8

Let's not turn this into a who knows who competition, maybe I'd win maybe I'd lose all's I know is either way I wouldn't particularly give a damn but for the fact that I finally have my dd214 (Honorable, with class 1 re-enlistment status) and am honestly ecstatic and can't wait to get my hearing aids, now if you take any o that personally, I ment no disrespect, only ment it to have the same sarcastic ahole tone by which I speak to most anybody, spare women,children,female clergy nuns & the such and would appreciate the same candor in return, and that being said my reference to who I hear used wire pulling gel was ment to have the rolling eyes thingy behind it to infer said sarcasm but I couldn't figure out how to make this stupid thing do that little rolling eyes thingy, there you caught me dumb grunt no no how work phone smarter then him SMASH!, it's probably scuttlebutt maybe its true all's I can speak to is I love the way it smells when you use clp in a can mmm smells like delicious cancer, ya I'm weird I guess

Old 07-12-2012, 11:56 AM   #9

Liked 16 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Because this would be the first anyone has brought forth on this forum that I know of, of using any sort of synthetic lube as as sound dampening device in a suppressor.
Using various types of media is a trick that is well known throughout the suppressor industry. Wire pulling jell is popular because it is cheap. Others, such as water, Breakfree,Wd-40,vaseline, and others are pretty common. I have personally used Thompson Center Natural luber 1000 with great results.

The theory is that it reduces the heat, which uses more energy which results in a quieter shot and it does work. Some cans,due to the baffle design work better than others.

Some suppressors like the Thompson Machine Poseidon in the 9mm and .45 calibers are very small and designed to be shot wet. Using them wet brings them down to the sound of the larger calibers in a much smaller package.

I too have a DD 214 with lots of stuff on it but mine is 35 years old. I havent looked at it in 10 years.

07/02 FFL
AR CHL inst.

Old 07-12-2012, 12:20 PM   #10
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5642 Times on 2949 Posts
Likes Given: 372

I can run my little sparrow wet but its just damn messy regardless of what you put inside the suppressor. The damn things make enough of a nasty mess without adding liquids or semi liquids into the mix.

Anyway an osprey is on my must have list. Purely due to the low aspect and indexing feature. Doesnt hurt that silencerco is one of those amazing to deal with companies who have steller customer service.

To me its a no brainer if there is a silencerco product to fit my need its going right to the top of the list for consideration.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...