Open versus closed-end guide spring plugs
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > Open versus closed-end guide spring plugs

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-06-2012, 06:24 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 62 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Default Open versus closed-end guide spring plugs

After much urging from my buddies who said; "You just ain't a shooter without a 1911 in your collection", I have bought my first 1911. It's a Rock Island Armory single-stack 1911A-1 with an extended beaver-tail, skeletonized-trigger, combat hammer, and dove-tailed, non-adjustable sights. I have spent a few days getting the feel of it (my other big-bore is a Glock 22C so there is a difference) and letting my hand get used to the control positions. I've also field-stripped it to clean and lube the thing and that brings up my problem and question.
My pistol has an open-ended guide spring plug that is captured by the barrel bushing. Trying to push that plug in to revolve the barrel bushing is just plain painful to my thumbs and when I try to put it back in capture with the bushing the thing launches like a mortar shell on meth! (I now keep an extensible magnet as part of my gun-work tools.) I have noticed that other 1911's have the end of this plug closed with cross-hatching for traction and think that such a thing would be much easier for me to control (I have arthritis in my thumb joints which makes them kinda puny these days). My gun has a full-length, chromed guide rod which obviously wouldn't work with such a plug but is there some other kind of rod that would? I know that some 1911's have a shorter guide-rod with an unsupported spring, but I don't now if that would be applicable to my full-sized pistol. If a change is not feasible, is there some kind of tool that I could use to help corral that spring and plug so I stand less chance of losing the dang thing? Any suggestions would be appreciated very much.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-06-2012, 06:49 AM   #2

Liked 776 Times on 449 Posts
Likes Given: 492

There is a tool, should have come with the gun. If not Midway, Brownelles, etc should have them.

Typically an open guide spring cap goes with a full length guide rod, pull the slide back and you'll see why. Don't know any reason why you cannot replace it with a shorter GI version and change out the cap.

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=391/Product/CAN-T-MAR-trade-1911-AUTO-BUSHING-WRENCH

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Last edited by Jpyle; 08-06-2012 at 07:02 AM.
OldEagleEars Likes This 
Old 08-06-2012, 06:53 AM   #3

Liked 1012 Times on 607 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Just replace the current parts with a GI style guide rod and plug.

Brownells part #

GI recoil spring plug
087-881-001DJ

GI recoil spring guide rod
087-882-001DJ

Ed Brown parts

Semper paratus.....virtute et armis

Last edited by MrWray; 08-06-2012 at 06:57 AM.
OldEagleEars Likes This 
Old 08-06-2012, 03:19 PM   #4

Liked 22 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Replacing your current set up might be easier on the tip of you finger as far as abrasiveness, and aside from your wallet becoming lighter, changing your recoil spring set up will not prevent the spring from launching out or make the pressure of the spring any less then it is now, try to acquire a take down tool as recommended by the other members.

shoot safe, shoot straight, and have fun

Old 08-07-2012, 02:30 AM   #5

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts

Until you purchase a take-down tool, you can get yourself by with the ole cheap 'n easy:

You've got an Allen wrench nearby from loosening the guide rod. Place the end of it on the edge of the plug, making sure you've got a good bite on it, and press it in enough to rotate the barrel bushing out of the way. With your free hand ease the plug on out of there. If you feel your wrench slipping, make an effort to slip to the inside of the plug; the right angle of the wrench will catch the plug, keeping it from flying across the room.

Disclaimer: I don't think this method is recommended by, well.. ANYONE.
Wear your shootin' glasses!

Old 08-07-2012, 05:05 AM   #6

Liked 62 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Thank you all! I will be getting the shorter guide rod since in the "guide-rod" thread it seems that it will work fine in my pistol. I will also get one of the tools since it would be foolish not to get any tool when you have a chance; that's why my roll-arounds weigh 300-pounds each!

Old 08-07-2012, 09:55 AM   #7

Liked 699 Times on 488 Posts
Likes Given: 1107

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdIron44 View Post
Until you purchase a take-down tool, you can get yourself by with the ole cheap 'n easy:

You've got an Allen wrench nearby from loosening the guide rod. Place the end of it on the edge of the plug, making sure you've got a good bite on it, and press it in enough to rotate the barrel bushing out of the way. With your free hand ease the plug on out of there. If you feel your wrench slipping, make an effort to slip to the inside of the plug; the right angle of the wrench will catch the plug, keeping it from flying across the room.

Disclaimer: I don't think this method is recommended by, well.. ANYONE.
Wear your shootin' glasses!
I have used multiple tools to release the the plug, allen wrench, screwdriver, fingers, all have worked.
Old 08-10-2012, 04:38 AM   #8

Liked 1424 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

The real trick 1911 tool is the Caspian Pocketsmith;

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello