This one is for canebrake, my first 1911 - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > This one is for canebrake, my first 1911

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-15-2012, 02:40 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 42 Times on 34 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DodgerBlue
Looking closer at my new Scorpion I find out I have the Carry! I thought it felt really good in hand for a full size 1911. Really excited about getting out tomorrow and getting off 200 at least.
Now if I can just find a way to carry with that dang rail!
If you check out s&s holsters he makes iwb holsters for a railed sig 1911. Pretty b/a work. Cost ya about $90-$100

"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."
~John F. Kennedy

Old 01-15-2012, 03:42 AM   #12

Liked 80 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by g17frantz View Post
Not bad man not bad, I gotta a pretty good deal on my Stx as well.
If they would have had an STX I would be owning that model over the Scorpion! Been look at em and they are sweet! Feel free to send me your STX and Ill send you mine!

Old 01-15-2012, 06:06 AM   #13

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

I have some questions. How do y'all like the sig 1911s? I have a sig 220 platinum, 220 carry, SA MC Operator, and a colt CCO, but I've been trying get honest opinions of the sig 1911. I'm interested in either the sig scorpion or TACOPS, I don't care of railed or not.

I know the Texas highway patrol SWAT team just picked up the TACOPS, after comparing it to several other manufacturers. The scorpion is a pretty pistol and I've definitely done some checking on it.

I am looking for a 1911 that can stand the test of time and can handle some abuse, cause I've abused some of my pistols in the past. I am Glock fan, so that set my standards for reliability, but I am also a 1911 fan and they set the standard on accuracy and reliability. Glock also has a price advantage also, cause the I won't do to my 1911 what I've done to my Glocks.

I would like to see some picks and range report on the sig 1911s, cause if I don't get a sig 1911 I'll get the 220 combat tb.

Old 01-15-2012, 12:50 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by DodgerBlue

If they would have had an STX I would be owning that model over the Scorpion! Been look at em and they are sweet! Feel free to send me your STX and Ill send you mine!
That would have been tempting before i got everything done to it I wanted. Ill give you a before and after. Left is stock pic right is mine now. Ed brown chainlink mainspring housing and slide stop, nighthawk custom trigger and recoil spring plug and Alumagrips.
1911-stx-detail-r.jpg   forumrunner_20120115_074942.jpg  

"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."
~John F. Kennedy

Old 01-15-2012, 12:58 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by AznZOhAn
I have some questions. How do y'all like the sig 1911s? I have a sig 220 platinum, 220 carry, SA MC Operator, and a colt CCO, but I've been trying get honest opinions of the sig 1911. I'm interested in either the sig scorpion or TACOPS, I don't care of railed or not.

I know the Texas highway patrol SWAT team just picked up the TACOPS, after comparing it to several other manufacturers. The scorpion is a pretty pistol and I've definitely done some checking on it.

I am looking for a 1911 that can stand the test of time and can handle some abuse, cause I've abused some of my pistols in the past. I am Glock fan, so that set my standards for reliability, but I am also a 1911 fan and they set the standard on accuracy and reliability. Glock also has a price advantage also, cause the I won't do to my 1911 what I've done to my Glocks.

I would like to see some picks and range report on the sig 1911s, cause if I don't get a sig 1911 I'll get the 220 combat tb.
Check pics ^^^^^^ and the photo on the left ↓ was first range report. It shot low but good groups. I adjusted the rear sight just a tiny and the pic on the right shows the improvement. I have shot around 1000 rounds so far....i had one problem. A lower grain round didn't feed one time. It fed the rest, so now I just shoot 230 gn to avoid any problem. It has been proven extremely reliable. 1 Round out of 1000 messed up? Ill take those odds any day. And it wouldnt have been a problem at all if i just would have stuck with the 230 gn. That's what 1911's were designed to shoot.
forumrunner_20120115_075318.jpg   forumrunner_20120115_075347.jpg  

~John F. Kennedy

Last edited by g17frantz; 01-15-2012 at 01:04 PM.

Old 01-15-2012, 02:23 PM   #16

Liked 1422 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Welcome to the inner sanctum my friend!

I am never surprised when I hear the conversion from other "gun types" to the 1911 pattern pistol.

I am sure you will enjoy your new love and there's nothing wrong with having fond memories of loves past.....but;

"The sailors and pilots,
The soldiers and the law,
The pay offs and the rip offs,
And the things nobody saw.
No matter if it's heroin, cocaine, or hash,
You've got to carry weapons
Cause you always carry cash.
There's lots of shady characters,
Lots of dirty deals.
Ev'ry name's an alias
In case somebody squeals.

It's the lure of John M. Browning, it's got a very strong appeal
Perhaps you'd understand it better standing in my shoes
It's the ultimate enticement, it's the 1911 blues"
(Apologies to Glenn Frey)

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 01-15-2012, 04:03 PM   #17

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by g17frantz

Check pics ^^^^^^ and the photo on the left ↓ was first range report. It shot low but good groups. I adjusted the rear sight just a tiny and the pic on the right shows the improvement. I have shot around 1000 rounds so far....i had one problem. A lower grain round didn't feed one time. It fed the rest, so now I just shoot 230 gn to avoid any problem. It has been proven extremely reliable. 1 Round out of 1000 messed up? Ill take those odds any day. And it wouldnt have been a problem at all if i just would have stuck with the 230 gn. That's what 1911's were designed to shoot.
Nice grouping, that's as tight as my SA MC Operator. I'm impressed. Do you think it can handle abuse(more than 500 rounds a day, shoot dirty, or a little), basically do think it could function well as a combat weapon.

I'm anxious to see the range report this scorpion. I really like my sig 220s, they are both tight groupers, but the Sig 1911 intrigue me. I heard they had a few problems when they called GSR, but now I hear nothing but good things except their shape. I wanted to get an open minded shooters opinion of them.

I am choosing between a sig 220 combat tb or sig 1911.

Old 01-15-2012, 04:39 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by AznZOhAn

Nice grouping, that's as tight as my SA MC Operator. I'm impressed. Do you think it can handle abuse(more than 500 rounds a day, shoot dirty, or a little), basically do think it could function well as a combat weapon.

I'm anxious to see the range report this scorpion. I really like my sig 220s, they are both tight groupers, but the Sig 1911 intrigue me. I heard they had a few problems when they called GSR, but now I hear nothing but good things except their shape. I wanted to get an open minded shooters opinion of them.

I am choosing between a sig 220 combat tb or sig 1911.
Imho, I think it would be handle almost anything. I shot 300 rounds in one day at the range, no problems. Didn't clean it and went out next week and shot 100 and functioned flawlessly. That's all the "torture " testing I did.

~John F. Kennedy

Old 01-15-2012, 07:41 PM   #19

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Sounds good enough. I'm no soldier, but I do a lot of outdoor stuff and I play rough. The majority of the time I carry a Glock 23, and it's been through the torture.

I recently got into Sigs and now I have 5, so far I like what I've heard about their 1911s. I'm leaning towards the Tac ops tb, I'm a LEO and I hope to get it at a good price.

Old 01-15-2012, 07:54 PM   #20

Liked 80 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 36

Hey frantz, that STX really needs those woods grips! They are in the words of Eric Cartman, "Super Sweet!"

Wonder how they would look on my Scorpion? Can anybody super impose? I have no ideal how to on my mac. Just picked up another 100 rounds of 230gr Winchester for range tomorrow.

AznZohan, The Scorpion has the Cerakote finish that will protect the frame and slide like powder coat does for pool side furniture. I think this gun might take what you dish out.

Last edited by DodgerBlue; 01-15-2012 at 07:57 PM.