Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > Old vs New Breakfree CLP?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-16-2013, 12:18 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Default Old vs New Breakfree CLP?

....I have been away from handguns for 15 years as a pistol smith . My bullseye 45's that we're tight and great shooters loved Breakfree and held up with...... like no wear for thousands of lighter bullseye loads. I swore by this and my customers did too! I bought some and am hearing bad about it now!?..? I hope Safariland did not compromise quality for profit? Also some big name 45 parts I bought to tweak my new Range Officer are crap ! I am a machinist for 41 years and their new high price items are crap! Wow come on humans! Let's not make **** like China! What are your thoughts?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-16-2013, 12:36 AM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5307 Times on 2772 Posts
Likes Given: 335

the new breakfree doesnt get into the metal pores and lift out carbon the way the old did. the old breakfree you could clean the hell out of the bcg to white glove put a coat of breakfree on it and next day it would be filthy from the stuff acting on the carbon.

the new stuff is kinda cheap but still better than most. i just dont rely on it for actual carbon cleaning.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 10-16-2013, 12:43 AM   #3

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Jon thanks, do you think it lubricates as good? I used it on the slide and frame rails And it was awesome! Thanks

Old 10-16-2013, 01:07 AM   #4
Podcast Host/ American Patriot/DAV!
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 2821 Times on 1936 Posts
Likes Given: 565

Last year I went to a combination of Frog Lube and Remington's oil for cleaning and lubrication, and the Hoppes products for "Deeper" solutions...
The Frog Lube after every range trip, and the. Rem Oil the night before the next trip. Just make sure you clear all left over fluids from every part...or else the next days range trip won't be very nice.....

Dr. Bill(Dr.Football)
CWO-4 US ARMY Ret./Med.
Proud to be a Soldier, Proud to be a Night Stalker!
The 160th Special Operations Aviation Regiment(S.O.A.R.) The Army's Taxi for Special Operators *NSDQ*

Old 10-16-2013, 01:20 AM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5307 Times on 2772 Posts
Likes Given: 335

i dont use it for lube. light gun oils arent good lubes they have very low viscosity and breakdown under very little heat.

i use grease or 30w oil for lube. i use grease for my ccw guns as it doesnt migrate to clothing or dry out. 30w i use for hunting and range sessions.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 10-16-2013, 11:28 PM   #6

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Les Baer said : Yes, we still recommend Break Free CLP.
All i need to know !!

Old 10-16-2013, 11:40 PM   #7

Liked 15 Times on 12 Posts

I have always relied on CLP. However last week I decoded to use W30 because the CLP se ended to evaporate (or go somewhere) on both safe and CCW weapons. Hopefully W30 will stay around and continue to lubricate longer?

Old 10-17-2013, 01:17 PM   #8

Liked 211 Times on 169 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Go to the G96 CLP. better product than current breakfree .
https://www.g96.com/syn_clp_gun_oil.html

Old 10-17-2013, 11:12 PM   #9

Liked 19 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 14

lampman, I used Breakfree CLP years ago, and still use it today, along with a couple of others that I'm currently trying out. Not sure how they compare, but have had no trouble with old or new CLP. I saw a comment somewhere that the Breakfree "LP" doesn't have the cleaning component, and is actually superior to the CLP version as a lubricant. I don't know. I have some closely/tightly fitted 1911s, including Lae Baer, and did get some LP to try. It works fine, but I have no basis, personally, to say it is superior to CLP, or any other Lube. I suspect Mr. Baer knows whereof he speaks...

Old 10-25-2013, 12:43 AM   #10

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Thanks all ! I will still use the new Breakfree clp