Old question I am sure, but with a new twist.

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > Old question I am sure, but with a new twist.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-26-2012, 12:36 AM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Default Old question I am sure, but with a new twist.

Recently bought a Regent 1911 A1 pistol. Overall I am quite satisfied with it considering what I paid for it. However, it is in the classic design with those terrible sights!

That would normally not be all that big a problem. However, I recently had LASIK eye surgery, and due to my CDL my eyes had to be set for distance. That being said I have had to completely alter my shooting after having shot the same basic way for some fifty years. Now, I have to "haze" the sights, and focus on the target.

Has anyone else had to deal with this issue, and would anyone have a recommendation for sights that will easily install on my pistol?

If this has already been covered elsewhere in the forum please post a link as I am on the road most of the year and can't really keep up.

Sua Sponte!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-26-2012, 12:42 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1203 Times on 672 Posts
Likes Given: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Sperry View Post
Recently bought a Regent 1911 A1 pistol. Overall I am quite satisfied with it considering what I paid for it. However, it is in the classic design with those terrible sights!

That would normally not be all that big a problem. However, I recently had LASIK eye surgery, and due to my CDL my eyes had to be set for distance. That being said I have had to completely alter my shooting after having shot the same basic way for some fifty years. Now, I have to "haze" the sights, and focus on the target.

Has anyone else had to deal with this issue, and would anyone have a recommendation for sights that will easily install on my pistol?

If this has already been covered elsewhere in the forum please post a link as I am on the road most of the year and can't really keep up.
Well, I have not had Lasik, but a few years ago my arms got too short to read the paper.

Is the front sight on your Regent dovetailed? If yes, get a set of sights with contrasting colors front and rear. Align the red blur between the two white or green blurs. That is what I do.

Old 09-26-2012, 12:59 AM   #3

Liked 60 Times on 45 Posts
Likes Given: 57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Sperry

I have the same issues and have found that a plain black rear sight along with a fiber optic or gold bead front sight is the best setup.
I have replaced all of my 1911 sights with 10-8 wide U-notch rear (no dots) and 10-8 fiber optic or gold bead front sights.
Well, except for 1...
I have left my Dan Wesson Guardian's sights alone because I use that one for a carry pistol and wanted to leave the 3 dot night sights alone. But for a range gun the sight setup that I mentioned is optimal for me.

Old 09-26-2012, 10:17 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Thanks for the response folks. The front sight is staked, but I can get it dovetailed locally for next to nothing. I will probably go with contrasting sights as they seem to work pretty well on the GP 100.

Sua Sponte!

Old 09-26-2012, 10:28 PM   #5

Liked 1847 Times on 1031 Posts
Likes Given: 1219

This probably sounds crazy. But my Smith & Wesson revolvers all have an orange insert on the front blade and a white outline on the rear. I borrowed my wifes nail polish. I was able to duplicate that on my 1911. It works great. Sight aquisition is really quick. Just a thought. And if it doesn't work for you, you are only out a couple bucks worth of nail polish.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

People Like This 
Old 09-26-2012, 10:37 PM   #6

Liked 2505 Times on 1428 Posts
Likes Given: 1947

I generally go the opposite of Rick1967.

White on the front sight, whorehouse

red, or your favorite bright color on the rear.

I like to put "Glow-On" on the front sight, after it's

painted white.

Low cost, very effective.

For uniformity, get a small hole-punch, punch out

a small sticker, place it on the sight area to be painted,

viola! Perfect circle every time...