Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   1911 Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f57/)
-   -   Old question I am sure, but with a new twist. (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f57/old-question-i-am-sure-but-new-twist-73175/)

Patrick Sperry 09-26-2012 12:36 AM

Old question I am sure, but with a new twist.

Recently bought a Regent 1911 A1 pistol. Overall I am quite satisfied with it considering what I paid for it. However, it is in the classic design with those terrible sights!

That would normally not be all that big a problem. However, I recently had LASIK eye surgery, and due to my CDL my eyes had to be set for distance. That being said I have had to completely alter my shooting after having shot the same basic way for some fifty years. Now, I have to "haze" the sights, and focus on the target.

Has anyone else had to deal with this issue, and would anyone have a recommendation for sights that will easily install on my pistol?

If this has already been covered elsewhere in the forum please post a link as I am on the road most of the year and can't really keep up. :(

Gatoragn 09-26-2012 12:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Patrick Sperry (Post 954699)
Recently bought a Regent 1911 A1 pistol. Overall I am quite satisfied with it considering what I paid for it. However, it is in the classic design with those terrible sights!

That would normally not be all that big a problem. However, I recently had LASIK eye surgery, and due to my CDL my eyes had to be set for distance. That being said I have had to completely alter my shooting after having shot the same basic way for some fifty years. Now, I have to "haze" the sights, and focus on the target.

Has anyone else had to deal with this issue, and would anyone have a recommendation for sights that will easily install on my pistol?

If this has already been covered elsewhere in the forum please post a link as I am on the road most of the year and can't really keep up. :(

Well, I have not had Lasik, but a few years ago my arms got too short to read the paper. :p

Is the front sight on your Regent dovetailed? If yes, get a set of sights with contrasting colors front and rear. Align the red blur between the two white or green blurs. That is what I do.

bartwatkins 09-26-2012 12:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Patrick Sperry

I have the same issues and have found that a plain black rear sight along with a fiber optic or gold bead front sight is the best setup.
I have replaced all of my 1911 sights with 10-8 wide U-notch rear (no dots) and 10-8 fiber optic or gold bead front sights.
Well, except for 1...
I have left my Dan Wesson Guardian's sights alone because I use that one for a carry pistol and wanted to leave the 3 dot night sights alone. But for a range gun the sight setup that I mentioned is optimal for me.

Patrick Sperry 09-26-2012 10:17 PM

Thanks for the response folks. The front sight is staked, but I can get it dovetailed locally for next to nothing. I will probably go with contrasting sights as they seem to work pretty well on the GP 100.

Rick1967 09-26-2012 10:28 PM

This probably sounds crazy. But my Smith & Wesson revolvers all have an orange insert on the front blade and a white outline on the rear. I borrowed my wifes nail polish. I was able to duplicate that on my 1911. It works great. Sight aquisition is really quick. Just a thought. And if it doesn't work for you, you are only out a couple bucks worth of nail polish.

therewolf 09-26-2012 10:37 PM

I generally go the opposite of Rick1967.

White on the front sight, whorehouse

red, or your favorite bright color on the rear.

I like to put "Glow-On" on the front sight, after it's

painted white.

Low cost, very effective.

For uniformity, get a small hole-punch, punch out

a small sticker, place it on the sight area to be painted,

viola! Perfect circle every time...