Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > old 1911

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-14-2009, 08:02 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default old 1911

My great grandmother(88) still has my great grandfather's m1911a1 he brought back after serving in wwii. Would I be in the wrong to take this piece of family history to the range? Will it be safe to shoot after a thorough cleaning? It's been stored away in my her bedside drawer chambered and ready to go for who knows how long. It was her home defense weapon, but my dad recently gave her a walther p22 to keep assuming it would be much easier for her to handle. The only thing I would change about the gun is those old transparent grips.

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-14-2009, 09:05 AM   #2

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Love to see a pic of that ol' thing.

I's run a few cycles with snap caps and do a general function check. If everything works well I'd say it is a shooter.

Old 07-14-2009, 10:06 AM   #3

I'm curious, what make is it? +1 on the pics also.
I would inspect it thoroughly during the cleaning you mentioned,
may have to change some parts. Check the inside of the barrel
for rust. Be cautious since it's been out of service for so many years.
I believe it would honor your Grandfather to put it back in service.

Old 07-14-2009, 02:16 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1174 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Unless it's pristine and never been fired, I'd shoot it. But go through it first and clean and lubricate it. If you have any doubts or questions about condition, take it to a gunsmith before firing it.

It's probable that it will be a great shooter with direct family history for you. But, safety first.

It may be quite valuable, depending on the manufacturer, date of manufacture and condition. I suggest you post some good photos here and define the condition as well as you can. It's conceivable that it may be almost too valuable to shoot.
Black out or otherwise obscure the last two digits of the serial number for your privacy.

If you need more information, members here will direct you to excellent sources.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 07-14-2009, 03:00 PM   #5

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I think you got some pretty good advice so far.

-Check that it isn't some rare collectible.

-Check that everything is in proper working order (or have a gunsmith do it).

-Shoot the crap out of it.

Old 07-14-2009, 05:14 PM   #6

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3474 Times on 1607 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

I would agree with CA357. If the weapon was a service piece, and saw mud/blood/dirt/grime/etc - then it's probably lost it's collector value, but would still serve you well as a fine piece of historical mastery.

I would definitely have the weapon checked by a semi-pro or pro gunsmith just to make sure. For all you know the firing pin has been removed to transport back to the states as a non functioning weapon and it was forgot to put back in. Seen it once before in the shop is the only reason I bring it up.

Otherwise the weapon is probably as solid as it was the day it was issued. They didn't have MIM parts back then and the craftsmanship was pretty damn good.

I'd love to see some pictures as well.

JD

Old 07-14-2009, 08:09 PM   #7

I feel like I could give it an ok cleaning, but I think I'm going the route of the gunsmith so he can check for other dangers.

According to my grandmother it has been shot a few times since it returned to the USA all those years ago, but not in about 30 years since my grandfather passed away in '79. I think i lack the skills and knowledge to service a gun that hasn't been shot in so long.

I don't have any pictures of it, but my aunt is there visiting now so I'll give her a ring and see if she'll snap some for me. If not it might be a week or so before i head up to the kentuck.

thanks for all the replies

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

Old 07-14-2009, 10:58 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1174 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

You're most welcome. Post pics when you can.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 07-17-2009, 12:56 PM   #9

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

You would do it honor to shoot it, that's what it was made to do. I would just give it a little cleaning and oiling, making sure nothing is obstructing the barrel and then fire at will. Nothing the matter with it being in storage for 30 years.

Old 07-18-2009, 04:20 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbc1320 View Post
Nothing the matter with it being in storage for 30 years.
Without regular maintenance there is.

Seal, get it looked at.