Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > oklahoma

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-20-2010, 02:34 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Alright ! They sure are nice. You gonna give us a peek at it?

Old 04-20-2010, 09:06 AM   #12

Liked 21 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by glock2740 View Post
Just order from Centerfiresystems.com
Do you work for these folks? I've seen you recommend them over and over again.

When you factor in the 3% credit/debit card fee, shipping and FFL fees, many times these low online prices are not the bargain they appear to be. I have bought online - but only after looking locally first. Supporting our local gun stores is important and unless they don't have what I want or the price is significantly higher - I buy from my dealer who is part of my community...

Last edited by NGIB; 04-20-2010 at 09:10 AM.

Old 04-20-2010, 12:04 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagetown View Post
Alright ! They sure are nice. You gonna give us a peek at it?
sure i will as soon as i can get some pics

Old 04-20-2010, 12:06 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGIB View Post
Do you work for these folks? I've seen you recommend them over and over again.

When you factor in the 3% credit/debit card fee, shipping and FFL fees, many times these low online prices are not the bargain they appear to be. I have bought online - but only after looking locally first. Supporting our local gun stores is important and unless they don't have what I want or the price is significantly higher - I buy from my dealer who is part of my community...
do u have to pay tax to

Old 04-20-2010, 12:10 PM   #15

Liked 21 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stone2 View Post
do u have to pay tax to
Not on an online purchase...

Old 04-20-2010, 12:41 PM   #16

Liked 685 Times on 421 Posts
Likes Given: 1671

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGIB View Post
Not on an online purchase...
Sure you do - it's called use tax, for property used within your state that you purchased without sales tax. In Oklahoma you report and pay on the Oklahoma income tax return, and beware - if you leave that line blank, then technically you haven't filed a complete income tax return, thus the statute of limitations for audits and assessments does not run. If you report zero taxable purchases for use tax, but made an online purchase, then you just filed a fraudulent tax return, and the statute of limitations does not run. Sucks, but that's the tax laws. This holds true in pretty much every state that has a sales tax. Btw, I'm a CPA by profession, I hafta know this crap. And that's the limit of free tax advise I give.

Old 04-20-2010, 01:04 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckhuntr View Post
Sure you do - it's called use tax, for property used within your state that you purchased without sales tax. In Oklahoma you report and pay on the Oklahoma income tax return, and beware - if you leave that line blank, then technically you haven't filed a complete income tax return, thus the statute of limitations for audits and assessments does not run. If you report zero taxable purchases for use tax, but made an online purchase, then you just filed a fraudulent tax return, and the statute of limitations does not run. Sucks, but that's the tax laws. This holds true in pretty much every state that has a sales tax. Btw, I'm a CPA by profession, I hafta know this crap. And that's the limit of free tax advise I give.
buckhuntr; I would guess that most okies, including me, isn't aware of the 'Use Tax'. What does it mean "the statute of limitations does not run"

Old 04-20-2010, 11:52 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagetown View Post
buckhuntr; I would guess that most okies, including me, isn't aware of the 'Use Tax'. What does it mean "the statute of limitations does not run"
Ok, here's how it works: Most States have a sales tax for in-state sales. Those that do, also have a use tax, sometimes called a compensating use tax. If an item would be taxable for sales tax if you bought it in your State of residence, say Oklahoma (i.e. guns, clothing, computers, cameras, etc), but you instead bought online from a California vendor (mail-order works the same way) who does not charge you YOUR State's sales tax, then by virtue of the use tax law, you owe Oklahoma the use tax for the 'use' or possession of that item within Oklahoma. You are expected to do your lawfully-required duty and report said untaxed purchase to Oklahoma, and remit the tax directly to the State. Oklahoma and several other States make it convenient for you, as there is a line on the Oklahoma Form 511 for reporting the tax, and even a handy worksheet & instructions on how to calculate it, on pages 10 & 11 of the forms booklet.
This is a very good reason to ALWAYS look at every line and read all the instructions of your State income tax return each year, no matter if you prepare it on TurboTax (although that program will prompt you for the info), or have H&R Block do their usual sloppy job, or use a quality, competent tax preparer such as your local CPA. (Disclaimer - I am no longer in public practice as a CPA, because I can't stand dealing with all the a$$hole clients who expect me to bend the rules for them, when I won't for myself). Georgia also has a use tax, but its tax form doesn't mention it. They expect you to send them a check and an explanation of what its for.

The statute of limitations is just like with criminal law - after a certain period of time, if you ain't been audited for a particular year, you won't be - IF you filed the return for that year (completely and accurately). IRS is the same way. Oklahoma's statute is 3 years, Colorado is 4, I think California is 4 or maybe 5. If the state suspects a fraudulent return was filed, they can go back 7 years or more.

Old 04-20-2010, 11:57 PM   #19

For those of you who get all hot and bothered about paying any taxes, remember this - sales taxes pay a large chunk, sometimes most, of your town's operating revenue. So if you like the services you are accustomed to receiving from your community, don't sweat the sales tax so much. {stepping off my soapbox now}

That being said, most states do not have the budget for the manpower required to chase down non-compliant citizens who stiff them on their use tax obligations. Those that include it on the income tax form will include it in the income tax audits, otherwise, you pretty much have to be turned in or be very unlucky if the state even finds out.

This thread is now un-hijacked - if you need further enlightenment, drop me a msg.

Old 04-21-2010, 12:10 AM   #20

Thanks buckhuntr; that was very enlightening. Now we know about purchasing on-line. It ain't as sweet as many make it out to be.