Okay Guys
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > Okay Guys

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2009, 05:13 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Okay Guys

I posted this question on the general auto-loader handgun forum and was treated like a red headed step-child with really evil breath. Seriously, I'm about to buy my first 1911. My boss suggested that I buy, at cost, a Springfield of my choice. We have a used Para Ordinance P14-45 that I can probably get for around $500. The Blue Book puts this firearm at $685. NIB. It has a wide grip because of the double stacked magazine, although, it feels pretty comfortable. Anyone ever had problems with Para Ordinance? How do you all like the Springfield? I know whatever I buy I will cherish it for the rest of my days and hopefully my grandchildren will feel the same way. Hunter Joe

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-25-2009, 05:32 PM   #2

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Sorry Bro - I must have missed the thread, or held my tongue... LOL

Okay, here's my problem with Para:

First off, they are a Canadian company that doesn't sell their products to the very people who work at the damn shop. They don't contribute any money to redefining handgun laws for our good friends from the North, and they just continue to do business that way as if it's okay.

In their low end guns, they use MIM parts from BUL in Israel - which is fine, I guess, but if I am spending my money on a 1911, I want real parts, not pot metal crap.

Springfield - on the other hand - had some serious quality control issues back a few years ago. There were HUNDREDS of pistols that left the shop without firing pins in them .

However, they got their act together, took a step back and are turning out some quality products these days in my opinion.

Of the two, I would put the Springfield well ahead of the Para - unless it's a high end Para and a low end Springer. Apples to Apples, I would go with the Springfield.

JD

Old 02-25-2009, 06:42 PM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2863 Times on 1491 Posts
Likes Given: 254

I had a Para P-14 for a while. It was a gift from a friend (at least the frame and mags were). I built up a working gun with a Colt top end and shot IPSC with it for about a year. It was OK, just OK. The frame never felt really good. Reliability was good as was accuracy (but that was a product of my build).

I fell into a sweet deal on an STI and ended up selling the Para. The STI was everything the Para should have been. Felt natural in my (very large) hands. Accuracy was phenominal and reliability was outstanding. I know the STI is far more expensive but it is a FAR better gun.

For a single stack, I would feel very comfortable with an S&W 1911, a Springfield, a SIG 1911 or any of the higher end guns. The STI single stacks are VERY good guns, I just don't like the look of them. IMHO they look cheesy (I have mentioned this to Dave Skinner, the owner of STI).

Old 02-25-2009, 07:18 PM   #4

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks you my brothers, maybe I'll pass on the Para and go with the new Springfield. Hunter Joe

Old 02-27-2009, 03:16 AM   #5

hi joe; I just bought a Taurus 1911 and I love it . Cant wait to get my laser grips for it. could have bought a colt but this just felt right in my hand. Hope you find the on that fits yours.

Old 02-27-2009, 05:22 PM   #6

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Told the boss to order me a Springfield Mil Spec. Going shopping for dies so I can start maken bullets.

Old 02-27-2009, 05:38 PM   #7

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Good choice, the Para is poop. I had one a few years back, got rid of it after a very short stay with me. Novelty of it was a high cap .45, was long before the high caps took hold. Still had the 1911 through all the fads and next best things.

Old 02-27-2009, 08:43 PM   #8

excuse my ignorance, but is Para USA the same company as Para-Ordanance?

-Clemenza, Caporegime, Corleone Family

I'm not saying I'm a Gun Rights activist or an Anti-Gun Rights activist.

I'm a "do-what-makes-sense activist"...and it just so happens that some gun laws don't make sense...

Old 02-27-2009, 09:00 PM   #9

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Godfather View Post
excuse my ignorance, but is Para USA the same company as Para-Ordanance?
Para Ordnance:
Mailing Address

Para-Ordnance Mfg., Inc.
980 Tapscott Road,
Toronto, ON M1X 1C3
Canada

PARA-USA is their American Arm, but they are a Canadian company...

JD