Now is the Kimber of Our Discontent - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > Now is the Kimber of Our Discontent

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-19-2011, 02:11 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

This is another reason I do not like Kimber. I find their firearms are over priced, sometimes can be a hit or miss, and I really dislike the fact that they only give you a one year warranty.

"If God didn't create man equal then Sam Colt had made them equal."
-Unknown

"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything."
-Wyatt Earp

Old 11-19-2011, 04:02 PM   #22

Springfield gives lifetime warranty AND pays for your shipping. I even did a test with them. Called them in and said my brand new night sights seemed dim even If the gun was a new purchase, they said it's only a year old but will pay for shipping, have it renewed and shipped back... HOW COOL IS
THAT! I said thank you, it looks good now LOL!

Old 11-19-2011, 05:03 PM   #23

Default I truly do feel your pain...

I had a Desert Warrior that just wouldn't "do." From not properly working with my Gemtech .45acp Blackside, to locking up at what could have been "the worst of times," I finally gave-up. I'd had four (4) Kimbers, and each time I'd "upgraded," thinking that the next would be better. Fuggedaboutit...

I traded my Desert Warrior for a Glock 21 and a Glock 30. I couldn't have been happier.

After having had ten (10) 1911A1s of various flavors, over a period of forty (40) years, I'll NEVER go back.

If you want the "best" .45acp handguns- most reliable, dependable, softest shooting, accurate out of the box, you'll go either G21 or G30...

Good Luck, and give Glock a try...

Glockcurmudgeon, out...

Shot placement is king, yes. But penetration is queen, and a wide wound channel is the ace in the hole. -Cuda66

Μολὼν λαβέ (Molōn labe!)

Old 11-20-2011, 10:33 PM   #24

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

OP,
Can't help with your problem but I love the thread title. Thank you, Richard, and stay off Bosworth Field. Trust me on this.

Old 11-21-2011, 02:17 PM   #25

Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glockcurmudgeon View Post
I had a Desert Warrior that just wouldn't "do." From not properly working with my Gemtech .45acp Blackside, to locking up at what could have been "the worst of times," I finally gave-up. I'd had four (4) Kimbers, and each time I'd "upgraded," thinking that the next would be better. Fuggedaboutit...

I traded my Desert Warrior for a Glock 21 and a Glock 30. I couldn't have been happier.

After having had ten (10) 1911A1s of various flavors, over a period of forty (40) years, I'll NEVER go back.

If you want the "best" .45acp handguns- most reliable, dependable, softest shooting, accurate out of the box, you'll go either G21 or G30...

Good Luck, and give Glock a try...

Glockcurmudgeon, out...
No wonder you're a curmudgeon - you own and shoot fugly guns. Have shot 1911's for over 35 years and find them totally reliable.

Doesn't take a degree in rocket surgery to figure out how to get a 1911 to run. It's not that hard. Purchase them from companies that know how to manufacture them and provide good manufacturing quality control and a thorough function check before shipping the gun.

The softest shooting, most accurate .45 out of a box? Far and away, the Les Baer Monolith Heavyweight. Having shot a .45 Glock 30 on several occasions along side the Les Baer, I will guarantee that your Glocks aren't even close to the Monolith.

The ONLY 1911 that I own that has ever needed the attention of a gunsmith to make it run reliably with every type of bullet and load is my Detonics Combat Master that I purchased in 1983 - it's that 3-inch barrel / short action thing. Once it had a small amount of work done it has functioned with no problems for nearly as long as Glock has been in business (1982).

I'll be long dead before your Glocks can show that kind of reliability record. However, I will say that Glocks do one thing really well...make me laugh...because they look like a part that's fallen off of a diesel truck.

Last edited by buckhorn_cortez; 11-21-2011 at 02:19 PM.

Old 11-21-2011, 04:20 PM   #26

Liked 2610 Times on 1483 Posts
Likes Given: 2004

I'm the guy who always winds up with the lemon.

Once I saw the hit and miss rep of Kimber, I

refuse to buy one, because I know mine would

be a POS, unfortunately.

But you'd think with what they charge, they

wouldn't let Hi-Point and Kel-Tec's CS make them look bad...

Old 11-21-2011, 05:20 PM   #27

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3485 Times on 1612 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMTchad View Post
No customer service is like the Springfield armory customer service.
I would wager that you haven't had the pleasure of dealing with Nighthawk's Customer Service then, because they are head and shoulders above any company I have worked with in the pistol realm.

JD

Old 12-07-2011, 12:07 AM   #28

I am not sure what I'm going to do with the Raptor, but wanted to show what really killed the deal for Kimber. They said they would go ahead and repair it, but I need to buy a new frame as "FRAME DAMAGED BEYOND REPAIR - LARGE DING ON THE RIGHT UPPER SIDE OF THE FEED RAMP". The cost of a Kimber frame is $400. The caps are theirs, not mine. So, I would sincerely appreciate thoughts/reccomendations on the below pictures:

Old 12-07-2011, 04:15 AM   #29

Default "Hit and Miss"

Any company and/or product that has a reputation of "...hit or miss..." is simply not acceptable to me; especially when we're talking about firearms! For the price one pays for a Kimber it should be a "hit" first time, every time and if not, they need to stand behind their product and fix it! I do not own, nor will I ever buy a Kimber for that very reason. I'll keep my Springfield EMP and TRP thank you very much!

Old 12-07-2011, 04:26 AM   #30

Liked 1040 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTCMax
I am not sure what I'm going to do with the Raptor, but wanted to show what really killed the deal for Kimber. They said they would go ahead and repair it, but I need to buy a new frame as "FRAME DAMAGED BEYOND REPAIR - LARGE DING ON THE RIGHT UPPER SIDE OF THE FEED RAMP". The cost of a Kimber frame is $400. The caps are theirs, not mine. So, I would sincerely appreciate thoughts/reccomendations on the below pictures:
That feed ramp looks terrible, if it was mine and it will work fine for now, i would get rid of it quick and buy a different brand